Work Permits For Those On ''retirement'' One Year Visa Extensions

Sunbelt Asia mentioned( in passing) in an earlier posting that they had heard that Work Permits were now being issued, in some cases, to people with Retirement visa extensions. Have they, or anybody else, got any more information about this? I was told,a few years ago, by Immigration that it was impossible to obtain aWP and work legally with this type of visa extension.

Could we please keep this topic open, on its own, without merging it into a 989-post thread about 17 other topics? I asked the same question recently on one of those general visa topics, and can't even find it anymore, or if it was answered.

I think the problem for a person like me on a retirement visa, is that if I switch to an O or B visa, is that I would eventually get the O/B visa extended based upon the work permit. Later, if I quit the job, the extension is invalid....is that actually a problem, though? If I could get a WP on a retirement visa, would quitting the job jeopardize the retirement visa later?

Peaceblonde; well if one CAN get the WP on a retirement visa (which I will leave for Sunbelt to answer) then your visa status/extensions should not change and therefore there is no relation between your WP and your right to stay.

This is the case with the investment visa. I.e. obtaining a WP does not require change of visa, and losing the WP does not change my right to stay.

Cheers!

Sunbelt Asia mentioned( in passing) in an earlier posting that they had heard that Work Permits were now being issued, in some cases, to people with Retirement visa extensions. Have they, or anybody else, got any more information about this? I was told,a few years ago, by Immigration that it was impossible to obtain aWP and work legally with this type of visa extension.

We are aware of several cases that a work permit was issued on a extension of stay for retirement. The labor Dept view is ok as long as it’s a non immigration visa, they will allow it. The exception is if it states above the approval stamp by Immigration "employment prohibited"

We did not have any cases of a wp with retirement visa this past week but this was allowed before Oct 1st.

think the problem for a person like me on a retirement visa, is that if I switch to an O or B visa, is that I would eventually get the O/B visa extended based upon the work permit. Later, if I quit the job, the extension is invalid....is that actually a problem, though? If I could get a WP on a retirement visa, would quitting the job jeopardize the retirement visa later?

You do not need to switch to a "O" or "B" if retirement and wp is still allowed. Quitting the job would jeopardize your visa, only if its based on extension of stay based on business.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com