buying a new camera

krey

need to buy a new camera, just a compact one for trips etc.. no need for DSLR or anything

Is there any camera shops that are better then others in Chiang Mai for prices, selection, service?

or they all kind of the same know matter where one buys it?

thanks

Smartphones with decent cameras have made a huge dent in the "point and shoot" camera biz. Where five years ago, a decent shop might have in stock 50+ models in many price ranges, now, there's not that much to choose from.

Canon "Power Shot" cameras seem well represented on most "Top Budget Camera" lists. A lot depends on what feels good in your hands.

I suggest going to Airport Plaza mall .One of the floors has a load of Camera shops .I used to have DSLR cameras ,but now find a compact camera much more useful .I can recommend my current Canon ,Power shot SX600HS.hAS 18 TIMES OPTICAL ZOOM ,Full HD video,16mp ,Wifi .Makes great quality pictures and easy to use .

I like the selection of shops at Central Festival best for cameras. I have found prices similar everywhere, only cheaper online sometimes with Lazada. Avoid buying the latest models for the best value e.g. one or two older versions of the Sony RX100 are very reasonably priced.

Smartphones with decent cameras have made a huge dent in the "point and shoot" camera biz. Where five years ago, a decent shop might have in stock 50+ models in many price ranges, now, there's not that much to choose from.

Right, though one thing that even a 30,000 Baht phone lacks is optical zoom. Many point-and-shoot affordable cameras do have a reasonable zoom function, as well as good sensitivity in low-light conditions. I bought a Sony camera about 1-2 years ago that gets shots that I'd never get with a phone camera, which really remains the most suited to taking selfies or a group shot with friends.

A 5K-10K camera does a much better job; the below you can also get with a phone camera but only up close as a posed shot. Not from quite a distance away using zoom.

post-64232-0-26088300-1448312196_thumb.j

And where to get it.. anywhere: Airport Plaza works, or even Chi Chang @ Promenada.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I recently bought a new compact camera....Canon Power Shot SX710 HS, 30x optical zoom, 20 mega pixel foll HD for 10.9 K baht from Sian TV. I'm just getting used to it but the 30x zoom is superb.

I have the Canon sx600 ,bought about 18 months ago .Great Camera but yours is a jump up from that .Mine 18Xoptical and 16 mp.

I recently bought a new compact camera....Canon Power Shot SX710 HS, 30x optical zoom, 20 mega pixel foll HD for 10.9 K baht from Sian TV. I'm just getting used to it but the 30x zoom is superb.

I've got the same camera (although I thought mine was a 700) and, yes, the 30-power optical zoom is rather good. And the camera takes very good photos....just about as good as my DSLR (a Canon EOS 7D). And more often than not I take the 700 with me and leave the 7D at home given it's so small, light, and takes comparable photos (well, except in low light).

Unfortunately, almost all the digital cameras cost 20-30% more here in Thailand than in the US (and that's regardless of the fact that they make most of the Canon cameras here in Thailand!).

I've got the same camera (although I thought mine was a 700) and, yes, the 30-power optical zoom is rather good. And the camera takes very good photos....just about as good as my DSLR (a Canon EOS 7D). And more often than not I take the 700 with me and leave the 7D at home given it's so small, light, and takes comparable photos (well, except in low light).

Unfortunately, almost all the digital cameras cost 20-30% more here in Thailand than in the US (and that's regardless of the fact that they make most of the Canon cameras here in Thailand!).

The 700 is the previous model but has a 16 MP sensor...however I have read a review that rates the SX700 with 16 MP as giving better definition than the SX710 because of the larger size of the individual pixels sensors.

LivinLOS...Lazada are out of stock with the Powershot SX710. You can buy an import from them cheaper, but without any Lazada warrenty.

LivinLOS...Lazada are out of stock with the Powershot SX710. You can buy an import from them cheaper, but without any Lazada warrenty.

I just meant generally on cameras or electronic goods.

Lots of posters on here seem a bit older and sound like they are trying for a shop to find deals.. in depreciating items like this its all in the volume.

Best plan: Check out the Buying Guide at DPReview to narrow the field and get your thoughts in order about the kind of features you need and the ones that you can do without. With notes in hand, go over to the main PhotoBug branch (that's the one near Chang Pueak Gate - see my map) and talk to Khun Pop or one of his English speaking staff. They are competitive on price (although at the compact end of the market the margins are very thin so don't expect a massive discount when you ask) but more importantly great on advice and service - by comparison the other camera shops in town are just box shifters.

Fujifilm, Panasonic, Canon and Sony all make very good lightweight cameras.

So 3 of us here have a Canon compact .I think it a good choice .My one did go wrong shortly after buying .(the lens got stuck ) ,but was fixed within 3 days at the Canon repair place along by the moat .

Edited by anto

Sensor size is very important, and I realized that sensor size is "king".

The Sony RX100 models have a 1" sensor which is way bigger than 99% of any smart phone sensor and will blow them out of the water IQ wise.

I will likely buy a Fuji X10 very soon, a good compromise of size/weight/price for best possible image IQ.

I will keep my RX100M3, it's a little gem of a camera and can sit in a belt bag when going out.

post-69360-0-94422700-1448462473_thumb.j

Agree with the RX100 being a gem of a pocket shooter.. Tho for me the fuji while being a great camera is less of a camera system than Micro 4/3rds.. Yes its a great body but M43 has so many more lenses, and for my tastes fast primes that the small sensor size trade off gives so much more choice in the market and ability to chop and change.

This doesn't really address the OP, but since others have supplied some good advice, I will wander a bit. A few years ago I bought a Nikon D90 in Hong Kong, assembled in Thailand according to the production tag, from a very reputable shop, full warranty etc-- so not a grey market or otherways sketchy deal at all-- for about 13,000 baht LESS than the same package (w lens and accessories) listed for in Thai shops.

thanks for all your thoughts

I been looking at the

Panasonic TZ70/ZS50 Lumix

Really like the looks and reviews of this one... havent found it in Chiang Mai yet, but only been to Central Festival here, only two shops up stairs, used to be four but they are closed down.. one shop mostly high end stuff like the Canon 70D etc the other had an okay selection but not this one

I can price this one about 250 dollars to 300 dollars american I see on Lazada the camera is there but they want 20 000 baht for it, that is quite the price increase

should i expect that kind of an increase or is Lazada just overpriced

Generally lazada is one of if not the cheapest source of an item in Thailand.

Also generally no they are not more expensive, in fact for items regular sold through retail channels they are often 60 - 80% of the retail price in mall type brick and mortar shops.

What does happen though is for grey import items, items that dont have a retail channel, they have the predictable markup of multiple vendors importers, taxation, etc.. And those vendors often sit on inventory a long time at MSRP ++.. I would guess that the camera you looked for isnt sold on this market and thats whats happened.

I recommend Photo Bug on Chang Phuak. The main manager (at least 2 years ago) speaks English fairly well. I've bought a lot of gear from them and trust them. They don't hard sell, and the service (at least from the main manager) was good. There's also a legit photo shop at Panthip Plaza called BIG Camera that isn't bad either. The other shops at Panthip often are selling gray market goods, so buyer beware.

thanks I went to photobug seemed more focused on the higher end stuff, at least in their showcase of cameras. Store is a bit of a mess in regards to layout. But they were friendly and said they could order the camera but it take 2 to 3 weeks so I kept on searching.. surely a good spot for the more advanced photographer looking for higher in gear, i am a rookie so just wanted a starter camera

I thought PhotoBug were absolutely brilliant. Good advice (and in fact tried to down sell me on two products that I wanted for cheaper alternatives that they felt were as good as the ones I was looking for), excellent overall service but absolutely not the place to go and buy a point and shoot camera - it's really geared for DSLR owners and people picking up bridge cameras.