Ale Vs Lager

fisherman

what's your preference  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The hot weather lager comment is actually very ironic, seeing how lagers are designed for brewing in a colder environment and ales are not.

Its actually a very naieve question. Its very possible (and easy) to brew an ale with the typical characteristics of a lager. Its just a question of Clairty and hoppiness (Hopps).

For places that have seasonal changes other than Hot and Really Hot, Lagers are typically winter beers and Ales or more of a summer brew.

Geesh,

I have some homebrew that is probably far better than any German, British, or Belgian Beers you can buy.....

Speaking of that, I'm bottling a batch of Porter this weekend...

Geesh , lets have the recipe!

what's all the fuss? any real ale enthusiast from the UK knows that a cask conditioned brew cannot travel from Yorkshire to London, much less to BKK. And where would the BKK landlord store it? The thought of Timothy Taylor Landlord served in BKK makes me want to retch...

Any beer from Aus is OK for surfers and their 18 year old friends but otherwise no good for anything than massaging chickens before slaughter...

Think Czech Lager is the best personally- Budvar!

Well twas 20P for over a pint, no doubt the evil EC will ruin the pricing in Prague. :D

Yes Budvar is v good , the best Czech beer IMO is Pilsner Urquell , the FIRST lager and still the best according to many.... :o

you are mistaken bluecat...most connesiuers of premium lager know that Pilsner Urquell is brewed in the Andes in Bolivia and that virgin nuns wee wee into the wort for the unique aroma...later to be bottled by midget eunuchs and hauled down to the port of departure in llama trains...

it is a very good brew, I must admit...

you are mistaken bluecat...most connesiuers of premium lager know that Pilsner Urquell is brewed in the Andes in Bolivia and that virgin nuns wee wee into the wort for the unique aroma...later to be bottled by midget eunuchs and hauled down to the port of departure in llama trains...

it is a very good brew, I must admit...

Surely you are referring to Pilsner Urquell LIGHT , no? :o

you are mistaken bluecat...most connesiuers of premium lager know that Pilsner Urquell is brewed in the Andes in Bolivia

I unfortunately do not know the place but according to my colleagues living there, this is the best in the world.

Are we "wrong" by thinking that Thailand is the best place? Or just ignorant?

you are mistaken bluecat...most connesiuers of premium lager know that Pilsner Urquell is brewed in the Andes in Bolivia

I unfortunately do not know the place but according to my colleagues living there, this is the best in the world.

Are we "wrong" by thinking that Thailand is the best place? Or just ignorant?

Thailand is the best place for a myriad reasons , sadly Lager is not amongst them :o

Ignorance is here but not from the Cat that is Blue , oh no..... :D

Chonabot,

Its hard to do it from memory, but the basics are something like:

14 lb. 2-row Malt

3 lb. Brown Malt

1.5 lb. CaraMunich Malt

2.5 lb. Chocolate Malt

We tend to use a Magnum Hopp (local here) that I think is around 17% (Hoppy).

I think we use 4-6 oz, with most of them for an hour or so and the remainder for aroma.

Also typically a wyeast yeast...

And we use a single infusion Mashing...

Of course, water makes a bit of a difference in taste, and we do on occaison, throw in a secret special something in there...

of course, you need to have a Fat Angry Cat to glare at you while you are brewing it...

Chonabot,

Its hard to do it from memory, but the basics are something like:

14 lb. 2-row Malt

3 lb. Brown Malt

1.5 lb. CaraMunich Malt

2.5 lb. Chocolate Malt

We tend to use a Magnum Hopp (local here) that I think is around 17% (Hoppy).

I think we use 4-6 oz, with most of them for an hour or so and the remainder for aroma.

Also typically a wyeast yeast...

And we use a single infusion Mashing...

Of course, water makes a bit of a difference in taste, and we do on occaison, throw in a secret special something in there...

of course, you need to have a Fat Angry Cat to glare at you while you are brewing it...

Excellent! thanks for that Drewcifer! I shan't make any quips about Cat/pussy etc.

:o

Not a problem.. there are a fair bit of Porter Recipies for free on the net.. we're still messing with ours so it changes from batch to batch..

of course, there are extract recipies as well that are easier to brew...

lol, yeah, you should see the label we have for it... across the bottom of it under the Cats picture is the solgan "Not for Pussies"