Somali pirates seize Iranian, Thai ships

webfact

Somali pirates seize Iranian, Thai ships
By Robyn Kriel and Briana Duggan, CNN

(CNN)Somali pirates successfully attacked an Iranian and a Thai fishing vessel over the past 24 hours, although one crew escaped, an anti-piracy expert said.

There were another two unsuccessful attempts this month.

In September, another two vessels, both Iranian, called the Jaber and the Siraj, were captured just off the Somali coast. The crew of the Jaba escaped by overpowering their captors, but the Siraj has been taken ashore. It was the first successful attack in the Gulf of Aden in two years, Steed said.

According to anti-piracy expert John Steed of Oceans Beyond Piracy, which runs a support program to help hostages, the attacks occurred more than 200 nautical miles off Somalia's coastline. The pirates were using small skiffs, a clear indicator of range.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/23/world/somalia-piracy/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2015-11-24

i hope all our dear readers here realize, that Iranian, Thai, Japanese and other nation's fishing trawlers are the real culprits for the rise of pircay in the waters off the somalian coast.

You just can't fish in Somalian waters until there are no more fish, then expand the fishing even further until the last of the fish have been caught, and driven a whole nation of people into poverty and famine, without at least having to expect SOME resistance.

They have no other choice than to hijack boats . . . . their waters have been plundered by others . . .

. . when do we start to realize the truth

Edited by crazygreg44

crazygreg44, on 24 Nov 2015 - 11:00, said:

i hope all our dear readers here realize, that Iranian, Thai, Japanese and other nation's fishing trawlers are the real culprits for the rise of pircay in the waters off the somalian coast.

You just can't fish in Somalian waters until there are no more fish, then expand the fishing even further until the last of the fish have been caught, and driven a whole nation of people into poverty and famine, without at least having to expect SOME resistance.

They have no other choice than to hijack boats . . . . their waters have been plundered by others . . .

Somehow I don't think the pirates give a toss about the fish, for them this is easy money, I just want to see

what the Iranians big mouth will do now that several of their ships and crew are taken,, are they going to

declare war on the Somalis or drop freshly made nuclear device on them?

So you blame the ones that were attacked for the attack? Piracy on the high seas has almost zero to do with fishing boats per see, (regardless of the rights and wrongs of over fishing) the act of fishing is irrelevant.

Explain the numerous merchant oil tankers, container ships and even private yachts that have been attacked or had acts of piracy carried out against them, certainly nothing to do with fishing in these cases and everything to do with money.

There are numerous countries around the world with poor economies and perhaps low fish stocks. They do not all decide to commit piracy because of this.

I thing you need to have another look at what truth is' before you start telling others what truth to realize.

Edited by Pomthai

So you blame the ones that were attacked for the attack? Piracy on the high seas has almost zero to do with fishing boats per see, (regardless of the rights and wrongs of over fishing) the act of fishing is irrelevant.

Explain the numerous merchant oil tankers, container ships and even private yachts that have been attacked or had acts of piracy carried out against them, certainly nothing to do with fishing in these cases and everything to do with money.

There are numerous countries around the world with poor economies and perhaps low fish stocks. They do not all decide to commit piracy because of this.

I thing you need to have another look at what truth is' before you start telling others what truth to realize.

Of course it's about money. It's not about revenge on the fishermen, or against any particular country's boats.

Take away a population's livelihood and they have to make money somehow to feed their families.

There's a degree of truth in grazygreg's comments. Without a functional government to protect their waters, opportunistic industrial fishermen (mostly from Asia) moved in and ravaged the fish stocks the Somali fishermen could reach with their indigenous, limited range equipment. With no other way to feed their families, they took on another line of work. I may not agree with their decision, but can't deny their reason behind it. It's their reasons, not mine.

Will they ever go back to fishing? Doubtful Once tasted, easy money is pretty hard to give up. But I have to wonder where we'd be if they were never forced to stop using their boats and their seamanship skills for fishing.

Edited by impulse

Because the fishery was depleted years ago by foreign fishers, leaving the fishermen destitute.

I have voiced here before that pirates are evil little aholes and deserve no quarter however, likewise if these vessels in fact were fish poachers, which it seems likely at face value as the Somalians are not giving out fishing rights to foreign flag vessels as far as I can find, then screw the foreign vessels and crews they got what they deserved. They went in to steal and got taken themselves. Tough.

we stole their subsistency for a living

and now you wonder why they would turn to other shores.

You did not understand the point.

go on and believe in the media lying

the fishing fleets of the west have plundered the seas in front of the african coast and STOLE their legitimate food source

and you call it . . what? yes, exactly how would you call that ?

poor puppie

the Thai fishing fleets can't catch any more fish, not in the Gulf of Bangkok neither in the Andaman Sea.

I have witnessed how the Thai fishing fleet laid out illegal nets at the Andaman National Marine Park ( in violation of it's law) and close down the natural migration route of Yellowfin tuna.

We were prepared to lay anchor between the islands 3 and 4, only to be rahter animously asked to get the sh.. out of there. They wanted no witnesses.

They have overfished their own waters until there were no more predator fish - and that's why there are so many cuttlefish and octopus . there are no more natural enemies.

15 years ago, in the Gulf of Thailand, there lay hundreds of Japanese trawlers, ready to take over all the fish the Thai fleets would catch during the same night.

Today, they are all gone ! Why ? Because there are no more big fish. All the boats you see in the night time are fishing for squid.

Then the Thai fishing fleet turned their eye to the "lawless" Somalia Coast - an easy prey because Somalia people have no coast Guard to protect their environment.

The Thai fleet - among other nation's fleets . . . . did their best to use illegal nets, illegal fishing methods, while nobody watched. At some point the Somalian fisherman, after realizing they had been f...d by other nation's fishing fleets., took up piracy.

You steal my water, I am gonna kill you. I have no choice.

the same is happening on the other side of the African continent. Mauretanian and Maroccan fishermen are destitute because all these EU- fleets are emptying the fishing grounds in front of their coasts. Even if you start outside the 200 mile zone . .this kind of plunder-fishing will soon leave a dramatic impact

Edited by crazygreg44