Driving in Thailand: Always expect the unexpected

Looked like hollywood chase scene with the motorcycle right behind the car going the wrong way.

Indeed looks a mad chase crashing the car onto the pickup.

Sure not a simple wrong-way driver (as a comment in the video suggests).

If only the video quality would be decent, one could determine who the two persons on the motorcycle might be.

Maybe its an illusion but the passenger on the motorcycle looks like wearing a police cap?

Waiving a weapon?

always expect the unexpected....

By using this logic, this was today's drive:

1. expected to be hit by meteor, so i drove on sidewalk

2. expected red lights to be green, and green to be treated as red....so i went through red

3. expected to be gunned down every 22 seconds, so i swerved and did donuts

4. expected my car to explode, so i drove through lakes and moats.

5. expected to be chased by 100 tanks, so i went 10000 kph

this logic did not work!!!!

The location looks like the tunnel construction in Pattaya.

If so, just a normal day in paradiserolleyes.gif

That is indeed the tunnel construction in Pattaya. My wife was driving back from Ban Chang on Jomtien 2nd Road (a dual carriageway) when we encountered a car going in the opposite direction in the outside lane.

Alan

The best advise I can give is to always stay ahead of traffic, so you have an open road in front of you. Avoid crawling along somewhere in the middle of a pack, or worse - at the rear... Managed to make it through Thai traffic on big bike and car without getting involved in fatal or near fatal accidents (touch wood) this way. You will however not be able to do this if you obey all rules, ride defensive and slow - you'll need to take advantage of snails and those who are dozing off in jams or red light cues, do some dirty tricks and be 100% ALERT all the time! Otherwise you'll be eaten up and killed by the "mob"... It's a jungle out there! Mentioned should be also - in most youtube videos I see about accidents and traffic fails, very often you could either see it coming or there was ample time to react correctly. People tend to steer right into the accident or towards a wreckage, and it always makes me wonder why...

Edited by MockingJay

I've never encountered something like that here before after many years but why am I not surprised? Generalizing; a Thai behind the wheel anywhere can be and is often super dangerous but I've never heard of an explanation for that behaviour, In my expeirience most Thai people are generally very welcoming, polite and considerate when not behind a wheel but become different people when behind a wheel

Wasnt there an American tourist that did the same thing not too long ago while driving in Bangkok? As I recall this person not only drove the wrong way but crashed through multiple cars, motorbikes and at one point, was driving on the sidewalk no less.

Oddly enough, this type of occurrence is quite common in developed countries like the US/UK where drivers not only will drive on the wrong side of the road, but use their vehicles to plow into large groups of people.

...crazy farang, always trying to prove that life imitates art

Wasnt there an American tourist that did the same thing not too long ago while driving in Bangkok? As I recall this person not only drove the wrong way but crashed through multiple cars, motorbikes and at one point, was driving on the sidewalk no less.

Oddly enough, this type of occurrence is quite common in developed countries like the US/UK where drivers not only will drive on the wrong side of the road, but use their vehicles to plow into large groups of people.

...crazy farang, always trying to prove that life imitates art

Don't forget Americans and some other countries drive on the wrong side of the road. It amazes me that most get home safely.wub.png