Air in Bangkok least polluted among world’s global cities

webfact

Air in Bangkok least polluted among world’s global cities
By Coconuts Bangkok

bangkok_stock_coconuts.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok is the best big city for your lungs compared with others such as Amsterdam, Los Angeles, Tokyo and Sydney.

As more than three million people around the world die prematurely each year from outdoor pollution, research from Airport Parking and Hotels published by Nature discovered Bangkok has the lowest amount of air pollution of 28 cities in 19 surveyed popular holiday countries and received a score of “good,” writes Andrew Batt in Dot Property.

The research compared the cities and their Air Quality Index (AQI) and temperature during October 2015, based on air pollutants that have adverse effects on human health and the environment.

Visitors are advised by the World Air Quality Index that if they are travelling to countries where the AQI is over 151, they should avoid strenuous exercises or activities as they may experience damaging health effects due to the high level of pollution.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/24/air-bangkok-least-polluted-among-worlds-global-cities

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-24

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

during October 2015

One month sampling only?

October is probably the "cleanest" month of the year when the rainy season has washed away all of the filth.

I wonder what their AQI would look like during the dog days of Songkran when temperatures are sky-high there has been no rain for weeks.

isn't October still in the rainy season, thus cleaning of air pollutants happens on a daily base.

Place this survey anywhere near March / April / Mai and the results will be shocking

The report does not state where in Bangkok they checked for air pollutants. If they measured them around the airport, all they probably got was the fresh breeze from the sea !

This is the reason why I don't rely on these surveys . .they are always out of proportion, randomly set up, excluding to many other parameters, etc.

Edited by crazygreg44

during October 2015

I wonder what their AQI would look like during the dog days of Songkran when temperatures are sky-high there has been no rain for weeks.

It's always best to read the report before posting possibly contentious remarks...

"The research showed no correlation between the current temperature of a city and the respective Air Quality Index"

Edited by Alration

I lived decades in Berlin, a city that pays a ridiculously high price for good air quality (strict regulations on vehicles, a dense public transport e.g,). A stronghold of the green party, the bicycle guerrilla and whatever.

Now I am told that Bangkok has way better air than Berlin.

Aha.

I think its time for me to do a Bangkok excursion to do a deep breath.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The smell is awful I just can't believe the air quality is better in Bangkok than in a small city like Amsterdam , sorry this is not a reliable research.

Neither is yours, I suspect. The researchers didn't base everything on the sensitivity of one person's nose.

I beleive we should have all the information

This information is brought to you by coca cola, marlboraough cigareetes, chang beer, oishi tea and

as sponsored by your local tourism authority and dictated by your local junta!

They must have done their testing in the middle of Lumpini Park ! I live in Silom and the air is quite bad along Silom Rd...here ....many taxis , motorbikes, cars and old buses (many with diesels). I am not the only one wearing a mask.

"I am not the only one wearing a mask." Unnecessarily.

Nowadays the vast majority of Bangkok buses run on lovely clean LPG.

I didn't read all of above but Nature, a very prestigious scientific and peer-reviewed journal, would not publish data from Airport Parking and Hotels dot com. Now would they?

But, one must love the Bangkok LPG taxis - they must help the situation.... and it beats Chiang Mai's Springtime BlackSmokeFest.

I beleive we should have all the information

This information is brought to you by coca cola, marlboraough cigareetes, chang beer, oishi tea and

as sponsored by your local tourism authority and dictated by your local junta!

"I beleive [sic] we should have all the information"

Read the report then.

"This information is brought to you by coca cola, marlboraough cigareetes, chang beer, oishi tea and

as sponsored by your local tourism authority and dictated by your local junta!"

Read the report again and you'll see that every single part of that statement, without exception, is incorrect.

sigh ..

just a shame the rice farmers are finishing their harvest in Chiang Mai and setting the stubble alight ( try ploughing it back in ! ).. a haze is gradually appearing over Chiang Mai, aa real tourist treat now the tourist high season is in full flow ... and that is before the main haze from the surrounding countries start .. Chiang Mai pollution is certainly a different issue to Bangkok ... perhaps it part of the reason tourists come ? such a shame :-(

The smell is awful I just can't believe the air quality is better in Bangkok than in a small city like Amsterdam , sorry this is not a reliable research.

Neither is yours, I suspect. The researchers didn't base everything on the sensitivity of one person's nose.

And you think they based it on facts?

Edited by Jonmarleesco

they hang Volkswagen high for emitting a few microgrammes of Nitro-Oxide more than stated on the car's specs, and here in Asia, millions of busses and lorries diesels don't even use particle filters !!!!

This "test" has been sponsored by the usual sellers of bags of lies

ok...but whats that smell?

Reminds me of the old Hong Kong airport. As an aircraft touched down, external air was introduced into the cabin. The HK sewerage outfalls (one of them went into the sea near the runway) pumped raw sewage into the sea.

Bob Hope was arriving, and a moment after touchdown, his senses overcome by the stench, asked, "What's that goddam stink".

One of his entourage said, "That's $ hit Bob".

He replied, " I know that, but what have they done to it"!

If I might add my 2 cents worth.

When I first arrived in the Kok 13 years ago, iI used to remark that I never see the sun. The haze just cut it out.

But this week, getting up early in the morning, I see a beautiful blue sky.

The change has be unbelievable.