Double entry tourist visa is gone. What is happening with teachers?

crickets

My point is the whole non b, work permit and teachers licence issue is difficult and not worth doing for some people here on a holiday for a year. I was wondering if they will decide not to stay.

Your being <deleted> for the sarcasm lost in issan.

No problem for a QUALIFIED Teacher.

How can someone be working and on a holiday at the same time ?

Have you never heard of a working holiday?

Only for under 31 years and certain countries.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record and to all persons who do not have degrees:

If tomorrow the govt decided that only a degree in Education would be allowed into the classroom, I would fully understand and be done with it.

Because Thailand has worked teachers illegally and with caveat (contractors) it has given this rifftaff a sense of entitlement.

Sad, no one knows anything about writing, public speaking, grammar...

"We're teaching convo English"

No, not WE motherphucher, YOU. I've got all your writing, grammar, etc... classes you silly irrelevant man. I'm teaching it for you. They don't trust you to do anything but play games sff.

Most farang in Thailand totally void of culture so bringing something fresh to the game is not happening.

If Thailand did not encourage the feckless then they would disappear faster than their final paycheck.

So, all the tatooed, ridiculous haircuts, long sleeved black shirts (hello, I'm Johhny Cash), shortsleeved + tie wearing, shitty shoed, polyester tied, unshaven, pot bellied, drunken and functional illiterate interloper motherphuckers pull it up and get the hell out of dodge.

Nice stereotyping oh mighty one. Your degree can't have been in English judging by your spelling and grammar.

don't worry ,the visa assist people will continue to do their magic for about 20,000-30,000 baht a year to keep you guys "almost legal".That is until somebody gets a little sloppy or greedy,gets caught then to save his own skin tells all to the BIB.Then it is jail,blacklist,flight to somewhere and over.

My point is the whole non b, work permit and teachers licence issue is difficult and not worth doing for some people here on a holiday for a year. I was wondering if they will decide not to stay.

To be fair, that's sort of what the powers that be wanted. They want teachers to have better qualifications for the job. I'm not entirely certain if the change in visas were to assist in this, but meh could be.

People on a holiday for a year should be able to continue working. Unless you are saying they were without a bachelors degree. In such a case, the government has never been that happy with them being here. A person with a degree and a smile can stay on teaching for at least 2 or 4 years without a problem.

And yes, I'm aware that it's a mess getting legal here. However, I can say honestly I've yet to have a problem. Just a headache chasing shit down at times I won't argue against that fellas.

I personally know a few people that are probably leaving, albeit some of this is due to salaries not moving in 10+ years.

Someone with a BA degree does not qualify to be a teacher in Thailand.

I know a teacher who is 26 years from Germany on a tourist visa and has banged up most of the girls at his classes in Udon Thani. A Thai would get suspended but a farang gets away with it.

Another Associate Professor at AIT (German once again) has also banged up most of the student girls in his classes. They even had weekly meetings discussing issues we are not permitted to discuss on this forum.

Farang teachers ? Sorry but to much experience in my last 28 years in Thailand, they should be all packing up and let the Thais sort out themselves if it can be sorted out.

The only schools that I know have good teachers are ISB, BPS and a couple of other international schools but no farang with a tourist visa would even get near them.

And how come you know all this? Including acceptance by the institutions?

Get real. This is one thing they won't overlook or tolerate!! One whisper and such an individual (won't call him a teacher) will be in very hot water.

Have you read that Irishman's book on being locked up in prison over here?

They wouldn't let some billionaire prince behave this way. It's one of the lines no foreigner should dare to cross.

To be fair, that's sort of what the powers that be wanted. They want teachers to have better qualifications for the job. I'm not entirely certain if the change in visas were to assist in this, but meh could be.

People on a holiday for a year should be able to continue working. Unless you are saying they were without a bachelors degree. In such a case, the government has never been that happy with them being here. A person with a degree and a smile can stay on teaching for at least 2 or 4 years without a problem.

And yes, I'm aware that it's a mess getting legal here. However, I can say honestly I've yet to have a problem. Just a headache chasing shit down at times I won't argue against that fellas.

I personally know a few people that are probably leaving, albeit some of this is due to salaries not moving in 10+ years.

Someone with a BA degree does not qualify to be a teacher in Thailand.

I know a teacher who is 26 years from Germany on a tourist visa and has banged up most of the girls at his classes in Udon Thani. A Thai would get suspended but a farang gets away with it.

Another Associate Professor at AIT (German once again) has also banged up most of the student girls in his classes. They even had weekly meetings discussing issues we are not permitted to discuss on this forum.

Farang teachers ? Sorry but to much experience in my last 28 years in Thailand, they should be all packing up and let the Thais sort out themselves if it can be sorted out.

The only schools that I know have good teachers are ISB, BPS and a couple of other international schools but no farang with a tourist visa would even get near them.

That's one thing they won't permit. It's a line no foreigner should dare to cross! Sex with minors and one's own students (plural)? Come on!

The perps would get thrown into jail pdq. A whisper would suffice to get them fired...

Mmm...so from what i can gather unless you are a "real" teacher, and that definition differs from every one, pack your bags and leave or be black listed.

In my opinion thats tripe. There are just too many old farts here hanging on to the fact they work here legally because they are the few that have stayed here more than most.

If tomorrow the govt decided that only a degree in Education would be allowed into the classroom, I would fully understand and be done with it.

Because Thailand has worked teachers illegally and with caveat (contractors) it has given this rifftaff a sense of entitlement.

Sad, no one knows anything about writing, public speaking, grammar...

"We're teaching convo English"

No, not WE motherphucher, YOU. I've got all your writing, grammar, etc... classes you silly irrelevant man. I'm teaching it for you. They don't trust you to do anything but play games sff.

Most farang in Thailand totally void of culture so bringing something fresh to the game is not happening.

If Thailand did not encourage the feckless then they would disappear faster than their final paycheck.

So, all the tatooed, ridiculous haircuts, long sleeved black shirts (hello, I'm Johhny Cash), shortsleeved + tie wearing, shitty shoed, polyester tied, unshaven, pot bellied, drunken and functional illiterate interloper motherphuckers pull it up and get the hell out of dodge.

Nice stereotyping oh mighty one. Your degree can't have been in English judging by your spelling and grammar.
I plead guilty to a need for glasses, fat fingers, aggressive spellchecker, being exausted after a long days work

...and a tiny mobile device.

It's a forum, we are chatting in written form.

Kill the messenger and the message oh, +2 for you.

Edited by Mencken

Well the same guy who supplied a 'rumour' to me that was poo-pooed here, also said all foreign English teachers will be removed from all government schools and replaced with Thai teachers. So packing up and going home may well be true.

Lots of unsubstantiated nonsense on this thread.

"Id say 80 per cent of teachers i have worked with were on dbl entry tourist visas"

I've been here 16 years and most teachers at formal schools I have known (hundreds) have been on a non-imm B and work permit. The exceptions are new teachers waiting for their paperwork to be processed. This statement may be true for the OP but I suspect he's working at a school supplied teachers by a dodgy agency.

Perhaps the Ministry of Education doesn't mind if the number of foreign teachers is reduced by 80%.

Officials to slash number of foreign English teachers

A 'report' written by Coconuts and a headline written not by the MOE has incorrectly reported this initiative. The initiative is to create Thai teacher who can teach EFL. There is a big demand from poorer, mainly government, schools for EFL teachers. Their only option presently is foreign teachers and they can't afford them. They can afford Thai teachers.

Edited by Loaded

Well the same guy who supplied a 'rumour' to me that was poo-pooed here, also said all foreign English teachers will be removed from all government schools and replaced with Thai teachers. So packing up and going home may well be true.

Sometimes here it's like reading a news story quoted 3rd hand that was originally printed in the Sun newspaper.

That would be a big problem for Thailand, as many Thai teachers do not have education degrees nor permanent teacher licenses. Shall we get rid of this 'rifftaff' as well?

No problem for a QUALIFIED Teacher.

How can someone be working and on a holiday at the same time ?

Have you never heard of a working holiday?

The land of Oz has a visa option for holiday and some work while doing it. A fine way to see the country and experience it for a while. And, as far as Thailand, some work there could be quite enjoyable and a bit like a holiday, compared to working at a job in one's own country.

Lots of unsubstantiated nonsense on this thread.

"Id say 80 per cent of teachers i have worked with were on dbl entry tourist visas"

I've been here 16 years and most teachers at formal schools I have known (hundreds) have been on a non-imm B and work permit. The exceptions are new teachers waiting for their paperwork to be processed. This statement may be true for the OP but I suspect he's working at a school supplied teachers by a dodgy agency.

Pretty much this. I'm not personally familiar with anyone doing the double-entry visa dance to teach here. I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen, just saying I haven't seen it. Much more likely to see someone go to a neighboring country for a single entry tourist visa, which is then used in extending to a non-im B or whatevs. I think pretty much everyone has had that experience if they've taught here.

I've worked with a few sketchers on dodgy B visas but never with illegals. Having said that, my three schools in BKK. What happens in the hinterlands may be far different.

I always see totally hokum jobs posted on ajarn and wonder who in the F is stupid and desperate enough to apply (to fall) for that crap job? Wow, people really do take those jobs.

I can't believe there is a level of shitty teachers that is even lower than the people I work with.

I feel so sad for the students and parents. Doubly so if they are trouble makers.

This is where the heinous and notorious reputations of foreigners in general and teachers in particular are fashioned.

I can only hope that things will tighten up. Teaching on TRs is total bullshit, obviously these people should be nowhere around kids, but its very much the schools fault.

Can only hope the contractors without degrees are right behind them.

But sadly, I must agree. There are few Thai that care enough to affect change. It's pretty hopeless. The Vietnamese are going to eat their lunch.

Thailand is becoming very stridently jingoistic. Im feeling little love from govt agencies and media conduits.

Half the Eng classes in Bangkok and 75% outside should be closed anyway. No ones learning anything. Farang clueless and kids, no discipline to learn.

If you have Thai kids in public school, I feel sorry for you. Please know each day I do my best. Visit your kids school, meet the teachers, have your wife voice her opinion if you're not happy.

Please explain how someone's visa status is related to their ability to teach ?

I've worked with a few sketchers on dodgy B visas but never with illegals. Having said that, my three schools in BKK. What happens in the hinterlands may be far different.

I always see totally hokum jobs posted on ajarn and wonder who in the F is stupid and desperate enough to apply (to fall) for that crap job? Wow, people really do take those jobs.

I can't believe there is a level of shitty teachers that is even lower than the people I work with.

I feel so sad for the students and parents. Doubly so if they are trouble makers.

This is where the heinous and notorious reputations of foreigners in general and teachers in particular are fashioned.

I can only hope that things will tighten up. Teaching on TRs is total bullshit, obviously these people should be nowhere around kids, but its very much the schools fault.

Can only hope the contractors without degrees are right behind them.

But sadly, I must agree. There are few Thai that care enough to affect change. It's pretty hopeless. The Vietnamese are going to eat their lunch.

Thailand is becoming very stridently jingoistic. Im feeling little love from govt agencies and media conduits.

Half the Eng classes in Bangkok and 75% outside should be closed anyway. No ones learning anything. Farang clueless and kids, no discipline to learn.

If you have Thai kids in public school, I feel sorry for you. Please know each day I do my best. Visit your kids school, meet the teachers, have your wife voice her opinion if you're not happy.

Please explain how someone's visa status is related to their ability to teach ?

Teaching is a licensed profession, and as such one has to jump certain hoops. People on the endless TR visa loop are not jumping said hops. Therefore, in the eyes of the government they are not teachers.

Why do people continue to fight the rules that have been around for a dozen years in Thailand? Oh right, they're here to get drunk n &lt;deleted&gt; around. It is what it is, right?

Having a degree in Math or political Science does not necessarily make one more qualified to teach Thai kids English. Some of the best teachers I have seen have been non-degreed and working in tourist Visas. Illegal yes, incompetent no.

Having a degree in Math or political Science does not necessarily make one more qualified to teach Thai kids English. Some of the best teachers I have seen have been non-degreed and working in tourist Visas. Illegal yes, incompetent no.

It does show a commitment to education, and I think it's important that such is role-modeled for kids. And, to be fair I would say it does make one "more qualified", even if it's not entirely teaching related.

I agree I've met some teachers that didn't have a uni degree and did a fine job, but truth is it seems a lot of nations (and throughout Asia) seem to dictate that teachers should have a college degree to work in the classroom. People can argue about it until the cows come home but as this is a licensed profession the government gets to set the rules on who is and who isn't "qualified".

Sorry to all the lorry drivers out there who may be offended by this. ;p

Perhaps the Ministry of Education doesn't mind if the number of foreign teachers is reduced by 80%.

Officials to slash number of foreign English teachers

A 'report' written by Coconuts and a headline written not by the MOE has incorrectly reported this initiative. The initiative is to create Thai teacher who can teach EFL. There is a big demand from poorer, mainly government, schools for EFL teachers. Their only option presently is foreign teachers and they can't afford them. They can afford Thai teachers.

Ah, but the facts are not what all the jealous, angry anti-teacher folk want to read!

I don't think there are any Anti Teachers here. But there are many Anti towards wandering minstrel bums who were useless back home who now teach here.

I'd like to think you're right, but it's not the impression I get from reading the thread. The "wandering minstrel bum" is a great phrase but isn't really borne out in reality.

Firstly You should be only be working with the proper paperwork and credentials. A double entry tourist visa does not allow you to work or teach. Secondly the Thai govt. is trying to reduce the number of foreign teachers here in Thailand as noted in several previous posts. Don't want to much free thinking and talk of democracy maybe

I don't think there are any Anti Teachers here. But there are many Anti towards wandering minstrel bums who were useless back home who now teach here.

I'd like to think you're right, but it's not the impression I get from reading the thread. The "wandering minstrel bum" is a great phrase but isn't really borne out in reality.

Eh, I dunno it seems to be pretty common. I know there are some wonderfully dedicated people here working here. However, there are just as many folks doing it to extend the good times in Thailand.

One only needs to look at the overall perception of TEFL in the greater educational sphere to see this.

That would be a big problem for Thailand, as many Thai teachers do not have education degrees nor permanent teacher licenses. Shall we get rid of this 'rifftaff' as well?

Why would it be a problem? If they wanted all Thai in tomorrow and all foreigners out, it would happen regardless of bits of paper and especially where foreigners ate concerned.

Do I think any of this will happen? Lol, not really but I do see the floatsom getting pushed out. EP programs will need NES as well as others.

It's easy to see how it will go down? All based on your value.

JEEZUS H KRIST give it a rest, I already pled guilty. RIFFRAFF. Look on the qwerty mobile keyboard, see the R and T next to each other? Goooood, I thought you could. I created a typographic error. I maje a lot of them. Sorry its such a tribulation for so many of you. Geniuses.

I totally applaud the effort for the Thai to wake up and fix their education system. The Viets are gonna rock em.

I think the jingoism will push us all out long before they have 5000 English proficienct teachers - sometime in 2045.

No reason why solid, professional people from west cannot work with and train coworkers to speak better English in the decade to come. Of course, its Thailand so the approach is backward.

The gang that couldn't shoot straight

Why would it be a problem? If they wanted all Thai in tomorrow and all foreigners out, it would happen regardless of bits of paper and especially where foreigners ate concerned.

Do I think any of this will happen? Lol, not really but I do see the floatsom getting pushed out. EP programs will need NES as well as others.

It's easy to see how it will go down? All based on your value.

JEEZUS H KRIST give it a rest, I already pled guilty. RIFFRAFF. Look on the qwerty mobile keyboard, see the R and T next to each other? Goooood, I thought you could. I created a typographic error. I maje a lot of them. Sorry its such a tribulation for so many of you. Geniuses.

alcohol and posting - not a good mix