The Dude Makes His World Series Prediction

The Dude can dig a rematch of the great 1973 world series btw The A's of Oakland and The Amazing NY Mets from Flushing Queens. The mighty you gotta believe Mets will take the series in 7 games behind the pitching of Trashel, Glavine and Maine along with it's stellar bullpen of Heileman, Feliciano, Bradford, Mota, Oliver and Wagner. The Met bats will be alive with Wright, Reyes, Delgado, Lo Duca, Valentin, Beltran and Chavez. Let's Go Mets and diggin' it with a shovel in 7 games

Why do they call it the "world series" . Never seen it played in Thailand, South East Asia or Oz at any level ?

Where are the rules for the "TV World Series" contest?

You know the one where as soon as someone posts the term "world series", someone has to reply "Why do they call it the world series, blah, blah, blah."

It happens every time.

What's the prize for being first on each thread?

Why do they call it the "world series" . Never seen it played in Thailand, South East Asia or Oz at any level ?

You know the one where as soon as someone posts the term "world series", someone has to reply "Why do they call it the world series, blah, blah, blah."

It happens every time.

I getting tired of seeing some sarcastic remark from some Brit whenever an American Sport is mentioned here in Thaivisa Sports Forum, It's like they are threatedned by the mention of them. Is it because of Insecurity, or is it that Thaivisa is "supposed to be a "British/ non -American " forum? It's getting tired folks. if you don't want to hear about American Sports, go to one of your endless soccer thread, please... :o

<deleted> is soccer anyway? A game where you can't touch the ball with your hands but you can use your head. Now that's hilarious. They always tried to push that game in grade school but it never worked. We despise the game. It's a game for fairies. Baseball is a game for real men

Real men do not play soccer here, only little kids, third world immigrants and chicks... :D

Anyway, enough of that rant, I see the A's and the Mets at the series, like the Dude.

It happens every time.

I getting tired of seeing some sarcastic remark from some Brit whenever an American Sport is mentioned here in Thaivisa Sports Forum, It's like they are threatedned by the mention of them. Is it because of Insecurity, or is it that Thaivisa is "supposed to be a "British/ non -American " forum? It's getting tired folks. if you don't want to hear about American Sports, go to one of your endless soccer thread, please... :o

<deleted> is soccer anyway? A game where you can't touch the ball with your hands but you can use your head. Now that's hilarious. They always tried to push that game in grade school but it never worked. We despise the game. It's a game for fairies. Baseball is a game for real men

Real men do not play soccer here, only little kids, third world immigrants and chicks... :D

Anyway, enough of that rant, I see the A's and the Mets at the series, like the Dude.

Errrrr ..... for the Geographically challenged, Skip birth place is about as far away as you can get from Bonnie old England. An nope, not Antartica so u get 2 more tries

( we play Ozzie rules football / Rugby ....all of which we dont wear pussy helmuts and pads ).

Gist aside, what are u getting up tight about. <deleted>, you call it the "world series" when u play Rounders in Short town alabama.....

Just flabber ghasts people ( scuse da spelling ).

Well there chaisoot, I'm going with Mets-Tigers and Mets take series in 7 games

You're assuming, of course, that the Mutts are going to get past the Cards.

I agree. :o

Now that my Yanks are out of the picture, I see it as Cards and A's for the series now.

Now that my Yanks are out of the picture, I see it as Cards and A's for the series now.

I hate to throw statistics and logic into this, but I assume you know that the Mets had the best record in baseball against righthanded pitchers (and they sucked against lefthanders -- I believe they were 9-17 in the last 2 months of the season). Both the Mets and Cardinals announced their starting rotation for the 7 games and the Cardinals don't have a single lefthander among them. The pitching matchups strongly favor the Mets in Games 1, 2 and 4 while the Cardinals have the advantage in Game 3, using ace Chris Carpenter against Steve Trachsel. Both teams have said that in Games 5 and 6, if necessary, they'll use the same pitchers as in Games 1 and 2.

Hmmm . try Boxing or Muay Thai.

:o

I hate to throw statistics and logic into this, but I assume you know that the Mets had the best record in baseball against righthanded pitchers (and they sucked against lefthanders -- I believe they were 9-17 in the last 2 months of the season). Both the Mets and Cardinals announced their starting rotation for the 7 games and the Cardinals don't have a single lefthander among them. The pitching matchups strongly favor the Mets in Games 1, 2 and 4 while the Cardinals have the advantage in Game 3, using ace Chris Carpenter against Steve Trachsel. Both teams have said that in Games 5 and 6, if necessary, they'll use the same pitchers as in Games 1 and 2.

I see where you are coming from, but at this point of the season stats and logic go by the wayside.

For the last 3 years (prior to this one) I think the Cards had 100+ game regular game winning seasons (and/or the best record in baseball) and it didn't mean a thing in the postseason.

I agree that the Cards need a good lefty, but do you think the Mets having one in the lineup is an advantage against the best right handed hitter in baseball...Albert Pujols?

Just for the record, it is called the world series because that is where the best players in the world play. Regardless of nationality. You would be surprised at how many Asians are now playing baseball (hardball) in the US.

Rounders is more similar to softball. Baseball is played by men. At the major league level, most pitchers can throw a ball over 90 miles per hour from just 60 feet away. Sometimes they purposely throw the ball at you. There is a lot of money at stake. Softball, on the other hand, is nowhere near as dangerous and can be played by both men and women. In Thailand, softball is played at the university level. In addition, you can find some very, very good softball teams down under. Both softball and baseball are fun, but you better know what you are doing to play baseball.

I see where you are coming from, but at this point of the season stats and logic go by the wayside.

For the last 3 years (prior to this one) I think the Cards had 100+ game regular game winning seasons (and/or the best record in baseball) and it didn't mean a thing in the postseason.

I agree that the Cards need a good lefty, but do you think the Mets having one in the lineup is an advantage against the best right handed hitter in baseball...Albert Pujols?

Albert Pujols is one man and the Mets will not let him beat them I can assure you. The Mets on the other hand have numerous offensive weapons. Look for Pujols to be walked a lot

I'm hoping for a replay of the 1968 World Series, albeit with a different outcome.

edited to add: I wouldn't get too worked up about the name of Major League Basaball's fall classic. It was coined in 1903 when most of the game's players were 1st and 2nd generation immigrants, i.e. from other parts of the World, and meant to convey an aura to the games. I believe Japan won the inaugural Baseball World Championship earlier this year, defeating Cuba in the final game.

Edited by lomatopo

Well, The Tigers are definitely in the WS, having beaten the A's ( Their Manager, Ken Macha, was fired right after .. ), winning the ALCS. Now it looks like a toss up between the Cardinals and the Mets.... last night Game 5 was postponed because of rain, so we'll see what happens . Met's Tom Glavine is pitching tonight I think.

I'm hoping for a replay of the 1968 World Series, albeit with a different outcome.

So far, so good. :o

Now am hoping for a different outcome than 1968, and especially 2004!

Me too!

But congratulations to the Mets for a hard fought series. They are a good young team and will be in the hunt for years to come.

It will be interesting to see Leyland and LaRussa playing chess again.

Me too!

But congratulations to the Mets for a hard fought series. They are a good young team and will be in the hunt for years to come.

It will be interesting to see Leyland and LaRussa playing chess again.

At the beginning of the season, no one expected the Mets to go this far. Now they've signed Reyes and Wright to long term contracts, a year before they had to, which shows a commitment to the fans and the team. it will help them go out and get the players they need to make them a winner in 2007. Look for them to pick up a lefthanded ace -- either Zito or Willis -- and fill the remaining gaps in the lineup corner outfielder and 2nd base with top free agents.

But for now, Let's Go Tigers!!

Well I'm a happy camper. :D Congrats to the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals. It's been a long time since our last World Series victory (1982).