China lauds Thai decision to repatriate two activists

webfact

What the fuss about ? Is there anything new here beside the fact that Thailand is helping China the same way it helps the USA ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/02/05/a-staggering-map-of-the-54-countries-that-reportedly-participated-in-the-cias-rendition-program/

Can't really compare the two. These were peaceful activists recognized by the UN as refugees. The CIA program was for hardened and violent criminals.

Not trying to defend the CIA program as I'm against it, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

One countries activist is another countries terrorist. So what treatment would Edward Snowden or Julien Assange get at the hands of the US? Hypocrites.

Assange still needs to face his rape charges in Sweden first.......
I think we are in danger of going off topic here as its about the sending these two chinese nationals back to china. However I think if you did your homework Assange has not been charged by Sweden. They only want to question him. Even the complainant withdrew her complaint of which would not have been a crime in many western countries. I still think however Thailand should not have sent these poor people back to china.

One countries activist is another countries terrorist. So what treatment would Edward Snowden or Julien Assange get at the hands of the US? Hypocrites.

I think we are in danger of going off topic here as its about the sending these two chinese nationals back to china. However I think if you did your homework Assange has not been charged by Sweden. They only want to question him. Even the complainant withdrew her complaint of which would not have been a crime in many western countries. I still think however Thailand should not have sent these poor people back to china.

I know he hasn't been charged. So to rephrase, he needs to go back to Sweden to answer questions on the allegations of rape made against him...

Whatever he needs to face, he should do so.

Is this about the fate of these two Chinese dissidents or the sudden U turn in allies? Thailand is warming to China much more, I think the U.S is regretting it's decision to not recognize the Leadership of PM Prayuth early on. With Ambassadors running up and down, Obama chatting to Prayuth, it's obvious that the U.S is desperate stop the China relationship with Thailand so that the U.S has a foothold in South East Asia. The recent South China Sea Sprately Island dispute between the U.S and China gives much thought to the fight over allies in this part of the world.

Is this about the fate of these two Chinese dissidents or the sudden U turn in allies? Thailand is warming to China much more, I think the U.S is regretting it's decision to not recognize the Leadership of PM Prayuth early on. With Ambassadors running up and down, Obama chatting to Prayuth, it's obvious that the U.S is desperate stop the China relationship with Thailand so that the U.S has a foothold in South East Asia. The recent South China Sea Sprately Island dispute between the U.S and China gives much thought to the fight over allies in this part of the world.

It's about recognizing international laws and being a good citizen in our global community. China obviously doesn't care about these things.

I know he hasn't been charged. So to rephrase, he needs to go back to Sweden to answer questions on the allegations of rape made against him...

Nothing stopping them questioning him where he is, they do know where he is and he invited them to come ask what they want. Or is it that once the prosecutors leave Sweden they lose the ability to talk.

The USA don't give a stuff about these 2 people apart from the propaganda value. World politics knows no shame.

The USA want Thaksin back because then they know they can do anything they want over here as long as the goblin has a hand (and a cut) in the middle of it. But I think they are realising it isn't going to happen so they are dealing with what they have got for the reasons you stated. They don't give a dam about 'democracy' or how many Thais kill other Thais. They stand by and watch much worse in other countries.

An excellent example of their policy towards this region over the years is in the book 'Korean War' by Max Hastings which I just finished.

a disgusting act but not surprising as I rarely see Thais even consider ethics

Government ministers proclaim telling lies is acceptable and ethical.

Sums it up.

Ask any Thai to explain ethics, integrity, and why all should behave honestly. Not concepts they are familiar with.

The USA don't give a stuff about these 2 people apart from the propaganda value. World politics knows no shame.

The USA want Thaksin back because then they know they can do anything they want over here as long as the goblin has a hand (and a cut) in the middle of it. But I think they are realising it isn't going to happen so they are dealing with what they have got for the reasons you stated. They don't give a dam about 'democracy' or how many Thais kill other Thais. They stand by and watch much worse in other countries.

An excellent example of their policy towards this region over the years is in the book 'Korean War' by Max Hastings which I just finished.

Pray tell how that book sheds light on American policy towards the region?

I've read the book, and while a pretty good account of the military action Hastings barely touches on the strategic aims of the war. In point of fact his main point was the total lack of strategy, and points more to the ineptitude of MacArthur and the Truman administrations overall discomfort with him being in charge, to which they attributed the mission creep. he also, i think rightly points out that many of the true thinkers in the administration understood the complexities of the post WW2 era, something a MacArthur & his middle American logic couldn't come to terms with

As usual, I don't know how you do it but you seem to be able string together totally unconnected facts, throw in a Thaksin or two and spew out something without any real factual basis.

Not sure if you thought actually quoting a real book somehow gave one of your 'rants' some added validity, but next time find something a bit more obscure that no-one will have read, or in your more usual style just make it up!

Bravo, Khun Prayut for defending national interests and not taking orders from US-backed international left-liberal mafia.

The one and only legitimate goal for Thai government is happiness and prosperity of Thai people. all attempts of international manipulators to force independent Thai government to act against it should be qualified as a threat to national sovereignty.

ALL illegal border crossers or overstayers should be deported and banned forever.

mind your own business, EU and US!

Edited by Artique

I've read the book, and while a pretty good account of the military action Hastings barely touches on the strategic aims of the war. In point of fact his main point was the total lack of strategy, and points more to the ineptitude of MacArthur and the Truman administrations overall discomfort with him being in charge, to which they attributed the mission creep. he also, i think rightly points out that many of the true thinkers in the administration understood the complexities of the post WW2 era, something a MacArthur & his middle American logic couldn't come to terms with

As usual, I don't know how you do it but you seem to be able string together totally unconnected facts, throw in a Thaksin or two and spew out something without any real factual basis.

Not sure if you thought actually quoting a real book somehow gave one of your 'rants' some added validity, but next time find something a bit more obscure that no-one will have read, or in your more usual style just make it up!

It seems you only read the bits about the war in that book. Did you skip the chapters on the politics as being a bit too deep for you ?. My comment has NOTHING to do with the war itself.

Go read up on what they did with Syngman Rhee, how they supported him to be elected as a democratic leader then turned a blind eye to what he did to his people. He simply murdered anyone who he thought might be communist and his corruption was outrageous. Yet they stood by him and defended him because they got what they wanted : free access to send troops and prevent it falling to the communists. While his country was at war, he only concerned himself with his own power and position at home regardless of how many died.

It also then touches how they failed to learn from this policy and did the same thing in Vietnam.

Did you even read the book ?. Maybe you missed a lot of the more subtle points because it doesn't have any pictures.

It seems you only read the bits about the war in that book. Did you skip the chapters on the politics as being a bit too deep for you ?. My comment has NOTHING to do with the war itself.

Go read up on what they did with Syngman Rhee, how they supported him to be elected as a democratic leader then turned a blind eye to what he did to his people. He simply murdered anyone who he thought might be communist and his corruption was outrageous. Yet they stood by him and defended him because they got what they wanted : free access to send troops and prevent it falling to the communists. While his country was at war, he only concerned himself with his own power and position at home regardless of how many died.

It also then touches how they failed to learn from this policy and did the same thing in Vietnam.

Did you even read the book ?. Maybe you missed a lot of the more subtle points because it doesn't have any pictures.

However Hastings, unlike you does not view the conflict through a predetermined prism of conclusion.

To quote, "I remain convinced of the rightness of the American commitment to Korea in June 1950. The regimes of Syngman Rhee and his successors possessed massive shortcomings. Yet who can doubt, looking at Korea today, that the people of the South enjoy incomparably more fulfilling lives than those of the inhabitants of the North?"

Not withstanding the lack of pictures, I actually read it all

Edited by GinBoy2

Bravo, Khun Prayut for defending national interests and not taking orders from US-backed international left-liberal mafia.

The one and only legitimate goal for Thai government is happiness and prosperity of Thai people. all attempts of international manipulators to force independent Thai government to act against it should be qualified as a threat to national sovereignty.

ALL illegal border crossers or overstayers should be deported and banned forever.

The main criticism came from the UN, UNHCR. The US, along with many other countries, have criticized this action. Just like they did when Thailand send the Uyghur's back earlier this year. These activists were tortured before they escaped China:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/17/un-condemns-thailand-repatriation-chinese-dissidents

Amnesty International said Jiang was arrested and tortured in China in 2008 after criticising Beijing’s handling of the earthquake in Sichuan province that year. Dong was detained after participating in a peaceful event commemorating victims of the 1989 crackdown in Tiananmen Square.

This was a violation of international law.

The main criticism came from the UN, UNHCR. The US, along with many other countries, have criticized this action. Just like they did when Thailand send the Uyghur's back earlier this year. These activists were tortured before they escaped China:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/17/un-condemns-thailand-repatriation-chinese-dissidents

Amnesty International said Jiang was arrested and tortured in China in 2008 after criticising Beijing’s handling of the earthquake in Sichuan province that year. Dong was detained after participating in a peaceful event commemorating victims of the 1989 crackdown in Tiananmen Square.

This was a violation of international law.

Don't feed the troll with facts! They simply can not digest!

Perhaps that is the case. Regardless, the US foreign policy is in a state of shambles. Obama is not the statesman, required for times as complex as the those we currently face. Kerry is a vastly inferior Secretary of State, and it is becoming painfully apparent he is in way over his head. China on the other hand, as heinous as that government is, and as horrific as their intentions are, is very clever, and outclasses the US at every turn, when it comes to vision, policy, and the general game of chess, called foreign policy (with the exception of its incredible blunders in the East and South China Sea). Alienating Thailand, for the sake of demonstrating an arguably fake and superficial policy of supporting democracy around the world, was stupid, ignorant, baseless, non-visionary, reactionary, immature, churlish, and really bad policy making, at best. Thailand is a long term ally. Thailand is very, very thin skinned as a nation, and extremely oversensitive, when it comes to perceived slights, in public view. Prayuth exemplifies these shortcomings more than most. These are the kinds of conversations statesmen have behind closed doors, not in full view of the world, and not in the media. The US has a lot to learn about the art of diplomacy, an art that seems to be lost on this current administration, and its rather untalented lot of naifs.

Yes let's close the borders and only be friends with China. North Korea appears to do exceptionally well using that strategy. I am sure the North Koreans' happiness level is higher than any Suan Dusit poll could ever show.

Why even bother listening to UN - that organization is only useful when Thailand is applying to be a member of the Security Council. If you don't want to listen to EU or UN, then don't cry about international export/import sanctions or lacking investments.

China never ever gives anything for free. One day you will need to pay them back.

Edited by skildpadden

Nothing stopping them questioning him where he is, they do know where he is and he invited them to come ask what they want. Or is it that once the prosecutors leave Sweden they lose the ability to talk.

I would imagine that if he fails to answer their questions satisfactorily they will want to arrest and charge him, treat him as anyone else would be.

Or is mr assange special?

Methinks China is a bit of a hypocrite:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/06/10/mixed-emotions-online-as-hero-snowden-shows-up-in-hong-kong/

Mr. Snowden told the Guardian he chose Hong Kong because of its “spirited commitment to free speech and the right of political dissent,” adding that he thought the former British colony would “resist the dictates of the U.S. government.” Hong Kong has a rendition agreement with the U.S., though Beijing has the power to veto requests under certain circumstances.

Why wouldn't they send Snowden back when asked??? Hmmm.....

I would imagine that if he fails to answer their questions satisfactorily they will want to arrest and charge him, treat him as anyone else would be.

He is not and cannot be compelled to answer anything. He was in Sweden for quite some time, he asked if they needed him to stay and they said no, they said he had no case to answer. Then another orosecutor took over and demanded he return.

Assange has done nothing wrong, he asked if he could leave, they agreed. They then issued an arrest warrant to question him. He said to come visit and ask away. They refused even though they have done so before with other accused. For some reason now they say they cannot.

Seems a lot of trouble just for someone who has not been charged. So yes, they do consider him special.

"I think the U.S is regretting it's decision to not recognize the Leadership of PM Prayuth early on."

Oh, I don't think they are somehow.

"Obama chatting to Prayuth"

Mmm. On one hand we have the "OK I'll shake your hand if I really have to" photo

14479177611447918804l.jpg

and then there's the "What I really think about this ........ person" photo

CUeK8FsUwAAKskK.jpg

Edited by thelonius

He is not and cannot be compelled to answer anything. He was in Sweden for quite some time, he asked if they needed him to stay and they said no, they said he had no case to answer. Then another orosecutor took over and demanded he return.

Assange has done nothing wrong, he asked if he could leave, they agreed. They then issued an arrest warrant to question him. He said to come visit and ask away. They refused even though they have done so before with other accused. For some reason now they say they cannot.

Seems a lot of trouble just for someone who has not been charged. So yes, they do consider him special.

He should be compelled to answer questions if they concern accusations of rape.

The new prosecutor wants to question him in Sweden so that is where he should go.

That is the way it works when you are accused of rape.