Thai industrial confidence index rises

webfact

Industrial confidence index rises

293362-imagejpeg-457521-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) says Thai Industries sentiment index (TISI) rose again from 82.8 point in September to 84.7 points in October.

FTI says the October figure marks the second consecutive months increase and the highest level in five months.

However, auto sales decreased by 4.2% in October from a year earlier due to the slowdown in the Thai economy and stricter lending for auto purchases.

FTI says a total of 67,908 vehicles were sold last month.

It says for the first 10 month of this year, auto sales totaled 621,740, dropping 13.6% from a year earlier.

Auto exports in October amounted to 111,229, up by 9% year on year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/industrial-confidence-index-rises

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-25

1st: sorry about the user name. I need to change it.

2nd: FTI-- does it really mean anything other than when there is no good news get Thai industries to say something nice and raise an analytically meaningless metric.

BTW: for those who do not know; car shipments (exports) to dealers are consignment, unless done differently in SE Asia, so a rise in that figure alone is more indicative of gamesmanship than any improvement in the economy. Especially given the fact that actual sales are down YTD by double digits. I doubt there will be a record increase in sales through year end to make up for the drop off. If the term 'exports' is being used to mean actual sales to customers, I retract the previous statements.

Oh...and too over explain more, I am not commenting on the Thai economy in general. I am only pointing out the problems with the 2 areas of improvement mentioned by the article. (Do the same folks who get spoken to about the FTI say the say thing to family and friends.)

Auto sales drop 13.6% from a year earlier but exports up by 9% year on year.

Only 750,000 are likely to be sold in the domestic market, lower than last year's 800,000 units. Surapong Paisitpatnapong, vice chairman and spokesman of the Federation of Thai Industries' Automotive Industry Club, said "purchasing power would not improve much next year because people were still worried about their future incomes as well as because of persistently high household debts."

Increase in exports might be due to two unique factors:

- Manufacturers need to get end of year models off the factory floors to make room for the next year models

- Other countries are doing much better than Thailand in terms of domestic consumption to increase demand for autos

Neither will do much for Thailand's economic growth so long as its domestic economy continues to stagnate.