Dual citizen wants to return to Thailand without a Thai passport

My native Thai wife is a dual citizen and holds (or held) American and Thai passports. The problem is that her Thai passport (and ID card) expired a year ago and we want to return to Thailand in the near future. We checked the Thai Embassy website and it appears she would have to appear at a Thai Embassy or consulate here in the US in person to get a new passport because the new ones include a chip and they would need to take her fingerprints and, I'm guessing, DNA sample. Also, lacking a valid ID card with a now required chip would be a problem. The closest consulate to where we live in northern Michigan is the Chicago consulate.

We are wondering if we would run into legal hassles from Thai Immigration if she obtained a 60 day tourist visa on her American passport to enter Thailand and then proceeded on to her hometown Udorn where she could apply for a new ID card and passport? Anyone have experience or knowledge in this matter?

she would have no problem getting a new passport here,but first go to the police station and report she has lost her id.card.

my wife done exactly the same,as for a new passport she got her's at the thai embassy in london,after she got a new id card.

they will take a photo and finger print as the new passport will be bio-metric.

Enter on the expired Thai passport as others have said.

Get the ID card replaced by going to the district office and they'll give her a new one on the spot.

Take that new ID to the passport office and a new passport will be in your mail box in three days.

All, very very painless.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

And even the airline should not make a problem. So this question about oneway ticket is obsolete.

(travelling with oneway ticket and US passport could make problems with the airline)

Just checked the "timatic" information for this case (the source for airlines at check-in).

Passport required.
- Nationals of Thailand are allowed to enter with an expired passport.
- Nationals of Thailand traveling without a passport must have a document accepted for entry, valid on arrival.

https://www.klm.com/travel/kz_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm

(not KLM specific)

Now we have a plan. My wife will present her expired Thai passport when we arrive at Bangkok Airport. As a backup, in case we incur static from the Thai officials, she can get a 30 day tourist visa upon arrival. That should allow plenty of time for her to get the new ID card and passport up in Udon.

Thanks to all for the responses.