Re Entry Permit

Greenwich Boy

Due to the sad demise of double and triple entry tourist visas I will be applying for a single entry from home and hoping to get a re entry permit in Chiang Mai.

Have managed to avoid immigration for the last couple of years so could someone please confirm that re entry permits are issued at the Prom and not at the Airport.

It used to be the same queue as tourist visa extensions - still the same?

Going rate for a songtaew or tuk tuk from Maya?

Many Thanks

You can get them at Promenada, or also at the airport (but only on your way out, after checking in and passing security).

I worded my question poorly, I meant was it the old immigration office by the airport.

I will be leaving Thailand by land so need the re entry permit beforehand - Promenada it is then and thanks

If I understood your words, you will enter the country on a single entry tourist visa. My understand is that when you leave, your visa is used up, expired. So even if you get a SINGLE ENTRY 60 tourist visa and leave after 30 days, it still has been used so it is no longer valid.

If that is true, and other more knowledgeable TV posters will be able to clarify this for you (and me), then you can not get a "re-entry" permit because you no longer have a valid visa under which to re-enter.

As to getting a new tourist visa for your next trip while still in country, I don't think that is possible. But what do I know?

If I understood your words, you will enter the country on a single entry tourist visa. My understand is that when you leave, your visa is used up, expired. So even if you get a SINGLE ENTRY 60 tourist visa and leave after 30 days, it still has been used so it is no longer valid.

If that is true, and other more knowledgeable TV posters will be able to clarify this for you (and me), then you can not get a "re-entry" permit because you no longer have a valid visa under which to re-enter.

As to getting a new tourist visa for your next trip while still in country, I don't think that is possible. But what do I know?

Regardless of whether the visa is spent,used a re entry permit only keeps your current permission to stay date valid,it doesn't keep a visa active etc.

As soon as you enter the Kingdom on a single entry visa that is it used,the date by which you are given is 60 days for tourist visa or 90 days for a non o,that is the only thing the re entry permit keeps active,all the time out of the kingdom is spent.

A re entry permit for a single entry tourist visa is ok if your not leaving the Kingdom for an extended period,a few days or a week or so.

Edited by stoneyboy

Stoneyboy

Not sure if I understand your reply. So are you saying yes, it is true Greenwich Boy can not get a re-entry permit on a single entry tourist visa? Or are you saying that if he arrives 1 Jan and gets a stay until 28 Feb, he can get re-entry permits and travel in and out of country as many times as he wants until 28 Feb despite his original visa being single-entry?

Stoneyboy

Not sure if I understand your reply. So are you saying yes, it is true Greenwich Boy can not get a re-entry permit on a single entry tourist visa? Or are you saying that if he arrives 1 Jan and gets a stay until 28 Feb, he can get re-entry permits and travel in and out of country as many times as he wants until 28 Feb despite his original visa being single-entry?

Example I entered Thailand on a single entry tourist visa on the 26th of November the permission to stay stamp is 60 days from that day meaning I can stay until 25th of January.

If I want to leave and return in that 60 day period I obtain a single re entry permit,so if I leave on 1st of December having been here only a few days and return on the 20th December I can still stay only until the 25th of January that's it.

All those days between the 1st of December and the 20th whilst out of the Kingdom are lost,I have only until the 25th of January that's what a re entry permit does.

It doesn't extend the visa life,that is used as soon as you enter that's of course if it's only a single entry one.

Stoneyboy

Example I entered Thailand on a single entry tourist visa on the 26th of November the permission to stay stamp is 60 days from that day meaning I can stay until 25th of January.

If I want to leave and return in that 60 day period I obtain a single re entry permit,so if I leave on 1st of December having been here only a few days and return on the 20th December I can still stay only until the 25th of January that's it.

All those days between the 1st of December and the 20th whilst out of the Kingdom are lost,I have only until the 25th of January that's what a re entry permit does.

It doesn't extend the visa life,that is used as soon as you enter that's of course if it's only a single entry one.

Sorry clumsy fingers. My stay in Thailand is less than 60 days, I just wish to do one or two short trips to neighbouring countries exiting by land. I do not wish to extend my total stay. Hence the use of a re entry permit (or multiple re entry permit depending on my final plans) I only mentioned double and triple entry visas as this is how I have accomplished trips like this in the past. I try to avoid too many visa exempt entries if possible.

Stoneboy you have explained the mechanics nicely.

All I have to do now is actually get one from CM Immigration in January

Stoneyboy

As I understood it you can't get a re-entry on the 60 day tourist visa but I may have read it a different way. This means that the I/O officer at the border may read it the same way I did and you can't argue with them if they say no, even if you paid for a re-entry prior to leaving. Many nationalities are visa exempt for 30 days on arrival, you may have to time your trips around that, but if you do make sure you have a copy of flight itinerary so they can see you're going back home and have the requisite amount of money in cash, I think 20,000. There has been a lot of changes in the last 12 months, in addition to quite a bit of officers disobeying directives from Bangkok and misunderstandings like a blanket ban on people leaving the country to do a border run at Mae Sai for a time, even those with current and valid non immigrant visa's were caught up in it. If you're crossing by land you're more likely to have local interpretations of regulations

Because these visas are so new, err on the side of caution and have the paperwork we always should have had but never bothered to actually carry on hand.

I'd advise that you also post in the Visa forum as they are far more exert than us and they get reports of what is being allowed and what isn't at various entry points, you'll get a definitive answer on if you can indeed do this, but still, be prepared to be prepared.

As I understood it you can't get a re-entry on the 60 day tourist visa but I may have read it a different way. This means that the I/O officer at the border may read it the same way I did and you can't argue with them if they say no, even if you paid for a re-entry prior to leaving. Many nationalities are visa exempt for 30 days on arrival, you may have to time your trips around that, but if you do make sure you have a copy of flight itinerary so they can see you're going back home and have the requisite amount of money in cash, I think 20,000. There has been a lot of changes in the last 12 months, in addition to quite a bit of officers disobeying directives from Bangkok and misunderstandings like a blanket ban on people leaving the country to do a border run at Mae Sai for a time, even those with current and valid non immigrant visa's were caught up in it. If you're crossing by land you're more likely to have local interpretations of regulations

Because these visas are so new, err on the side of caution and have the paperwork we always should have had but never bothered to actually carry on hand.

I'd advise that you also post in the Visa forum as they are far more exert than us and they get reports of what is being allowed and what isn't at various entry points, you'll get a definitive answer on if you can indeed do this, but still, be prepared to be prepared.

Definitely a case of suck it and see. Will try for a re entry permit - if not will work it around 30 day entries (UK Citizen) Will report back on success or lack of it in January.

All paperwork will be to hand, have done enough trips to Mai Sai in the past not to take anything for granted.

Originally posted in Visa Forum, only posted locally as I was not sure which office dealt with re entry permits but as often happens the thread digresses - all helpful input though

Re-entry permits are now done at Imm. Prom. They are a separate queue from tourist visas and that queue moves fairly quickly. No need to arrive at zero-dark-stupid. Just arrive some time in the morning. Oh and be sure your photo truly is 4 x 6 cm with a blue background. If not, you'll be directed to the copy/photo shop next door that will kindly produce photos to specification for twice the rate of other photo shops. Don't be deceived by the size of the photo block printed on the TM 8 form. It's really isn't 4 x 6 cm. (Gottcha!)

Re-entry permits are now done at Imm. Prom. They are a separate queue from tourist visas and that queue moves fairly quickly. No need to arrive at zero-dark-stupid. Just arrive some time in the morning. Oh and be sure your photo truly is 4 x 6 cm with a blue background. If not, you'll be directed to the copy/photo shop next door that will kindly produce photos to specification for twice the rate of other photo shops. Don't be deceived by the size of the photo block printed on the TM 8 form. It's really isn't 4 x 6 cm. (Gottcha!)

Blue background?

Will white be rejected?

Thanks.