Feeling Thankful I Live in Thailand.

villagefarang

...well, in reply to your question, I am thankful to be able to stand at my high laptop desk and read your charming and insightful, post.....

I've done at lot of foolish and dangerous things in my getting on for 72 years , but having tempered my vices for a good few years now , can manage 4/5 tough yoga session per week, and get myself around this city on foot....long may my luck hold, in fact be good to get back to Thailand, soon ; it's the only place I think i can handle....

Edited by perdido

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was single (ah, the memories facepalm.gif), the friendly ladies, Bangkok's affable and affordable nightlife, dentists fees, the BTS/MRT, the LoyKathrong/YI-Ping festival in the north.

Yes above all the dentists' fees. Terrible drill but sparkling, celestial, priceless memories on such lovely paper. Cheap too.

smotherb, on 26 Nov 2015 - 17:29, said:snapback.png

kannot, on 26 Nov 2015 - 13:01, said:snapback.png

villagefarang, on 26 Nov 2015 - 11:41, said:snapback.png

kannot, on 26 Nov 2015 - 11:28, said:snapback.png

thankful i was born when billions never will be

That does beg the question, ‘Why are thankful to have been born?’ Care to elaborate?

having never existed to appreciate being alive

You are thankful you were born because you never existed to appreciate being alive. Heavily dipping into the holiday cheer, eh?

To which kannot said, "What holiday? everyday is a holiday therefore there is no holiday, if the holiday is religious you can stick it"

You are logically challenged aren't you? First you say you are thankful you were born because you never existed to appreciate being alive. Now you say " . . . everyday is a holiday therefore there is no holiday . . ."

Well, kannot, why not? Although, I can see why not.

having never existed to appreciate being alive

thankful i was born when billions never will be

That does beg the question, ‘Why are thankful to have been born?’ Care to elaborate?

You are thankful you were born because you never existed to appreciate being alive. Heavily dipping into the holiday cheer, eh?

To which kannot said, "What holiday? everyday is a holiday therefore there is no holiday, if the holiday is religious you can stick it"

You are logically challenged aren't you? First you say you are thankful you were born because you never existed to appreciate being alive. Now you say " . . . everyday is a holiday therefore there is no holiday . . ."

Well, kannot, why not? Although, I can see why not.

yeah whatever u like

• 11 months later...

I'm thankful of who my parents are and the life they gave me.  I suppose I can replace the word "thankful" with "lucky," but just keeping in the spirit of the thread.  And as another poster said, I'm thankful to be in Thailand as opposed to Trumpland, formerly known as the USA.   

On 11/25/2016 at 11:02 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

I feel thankful that I am not living in the U.S. now.

Not withpeople like Donald Duck as our president.

Just so you know

555 Just so you know he has not lifted a finger yet as President & will not till after the inaguration

So are you thankful to have Prayut in forced on the people charge here ? :smile:

Its all good though & glad your thankful to not be living in the US?

I kind of like & enjoy both places myself...so thankful for options

Edited by mania

6 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I am thankful to find these comments after returning from an eight kilometer stroll with my wife up to our local dam and back.  I am also very thankful to have a wife I enjoy doing things with, like our hike today.

Same here VF...We live 5 minutes from a national park & strolls/hike there are

surely one of our favorite things to do together

33 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I am thankful to find these comments after returning from an eight kilometer stroll with my wife up to our local dam and back.  I am also very thankful to have a wife I enjoy doing things with, like our hike today.

26 minutes ago, mania said:

Same here VF...We live 5 minutes from a national park & strolls/hike there are

surely one of our favorite things to do together

Funny enough, national parks and Trump were a couple of the subjects which came up during our hike.  My wife and I seem to agree on all topics but I have to admit our political views differ from yours.:wink:

Edited by villagefarang

21 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Funny enough, national parks and Trump were a few of the subject which came up during our hike.  My wife and I seem to agree on all topics but I have to admit our political views differ from yours.:wink:

Actually I do not have a political view

Firmly believing the left & right are two wings of the same corrupt bird.

I always thought we need a none of the above option during primaries

I do admit I have been more vocal this election as I tired of the whining of what "may" be as opposed to what

we have "already" had for many years.

But I cannot remember a president I thought did well in my lifetime.

I may not like doctors but I don’t think I would go to an auto mechanic for a tricky diagnosis or organ transplant.  People may not like politicians but I fear they may have chosen something much worse.  Fortunately I live here and hopefully my life won’t be too adversely effected.

I'm thankful for Thailand. I've never felt depressed here, the climate and people don't allow it.I'm thankful for our farm, the rainy season with the frog chorus in the swaying rice fields and the fireflies darting to and fro at night. The winter for the starlit skies and cool breezes. The summer can be a bummer but there's often a breeze and occasional thunderstorm.

I'm thankful for the Thai people, invariably polite and upbeat. It's rare to meet a Thai without a sense of humour.  Even in Bangkok with its crowded buses, jammed roads, and mad motorists like Mr Nott  throwing a wobbler, the majority of folks are still decent human beings.

What do the scientists say? Energy cannot be destroyed, it only changes form. I'm sure if I croak in Thailand  my bones or ashes will soon convert to organic matter in the form of luxuriant undergrowth, bushes and maybe a tree if I'm lucky.  

But in the UK those long cold winters will ensure any transformation of nature will be slow and ponderous and probably subject to stringent health and safety laws. 

14 hours ago, villagefarang said:

I may not like doctors but I don’t think I would go to an auto mechanic for a tricky diagnosis or organ transplant.  People may not like politicians but I fear they may have chosen something much worse.  Fortunately I live here and hopefully my life won’t be too adversely effected.

We should not take your thankful thread into politics except ...... 

coincidentally your doctor/mechanic example

One of the main reasons  we decided to stop living full time in Thailand

was a corrupt doctor at a major medical center & his diagnosis designed solely to extract $$$ made me realize some things cannot be worked around here. During an emergency you have to trust some & if even they are corrupt it will be tough. So I guess I can say I am thankful I found that out before anything bigger occurred.

But on the political side ....

The Junta here while just "another" coup in a list of coups does not make it any less distasteful

It was also a big reason we chose to move ( I know many say pfft just another in a long line of coups) But to support it condones it.

I do not worry we may have elected anything worse in the USA given the last one with his atrocities.

Perhaps it was time to change from a doctor to a mechanic as you said :thumbsup: But still we are thankful to have elections ...sadly something Thai's no longer have

Edited by mania

Firstly I am thankful to have met such a caring cool lady and she said Yes when I asked her to marry me.

I am thankful I was given the ability and the personality to easily adapt wherever I have been and now have friends all over the world. Here in Thailand this ability has been especially great as I have Thai friends I go motorcycle riding with, fishing and others I go off roading with in my truck.  

I am thankful I have options.

I am thankful mosquitoes do not like me much

I am thankful I have never had to go without

I am thankful I am debt free. 

I am glad that BigC supplies Thanksgiving mini-turkeys (pre-cooked) for my festive dinner and that, if I were to ask the Thai Girlfriend (no English) what does she think of Trump, she would answer:

Who or what is Trump?

Thanks2.JPG

Edited by JLCrab

I am thankful that a higher power freed me from alcoholism many years ago.

Also, thankful for spending most of my life in Thailand.

Thankful for healthy children

Thankful for a high salary.

To the guy with a chip on his shoulder about God -  people who have never glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as if they knew what it is they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions. 

On 11/28/2015 at 9:23 AM, wow64 said:

I am thankful I dont have to give money to my thai wife...... She just takes it out of my wallet in the morning.. Problem solved.

Daughter is learning this thai custom..

Sent from my c64

I guess we all have different ways of dealing with things. Personally, I would be quite offended if my wife took money from my wallet, without asking. And if my kid attempted that, well that would be the last time that ever happened. The harshness of the discipline would ensure that. Some behavior just cannot be tolerated, or condoned. Taking money from my wallet now, if permitted, might mean robbing banks or shooting up heroin 15 years from now. Kids, even more than wives, really need to be shown the limit. 

Having said that, I am extremely thankful, on a daily basis, that I do not have kids. 

Edited by spidermike007

Im thankful that i spent the first 30 odd years of my life not having to know when people are thankful and dishing out everyone of their pointless thoughts.

I am unthankful that English has turned into the worlds language so it makes ignoring this nonsense so much harder.

People of the world have turned into soppy Americans with their need for men to show their feminine and caring side so we can all say how nice they are ... and they need this praise.

Prednisolone the drug of telling things how it is!

On 29/11/2016 at 8:04 AM, JLCrab said:

I am glad that BigC supplies Thanksgiving mini-turkeys (pre-cooked) for my festive dinner and that, if I were to ask the Thai Girlfriend (no English) what does she think of Trump, she would answer:

Who or what is Trump?

Thanks2.JPG

Trump is potentially a great man,.

You want to get one of those air fryers for your roast potatoes as i see just a hob there .... not perfect but not bad.

Now you can be thankful for ME.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I guess we all have different ways of dealing with things. Personally, I would be quite offended if my wife took money from my wallet, without asking. And if my kid attempted that, well that would be the last time that ever happened. The harshness of the discipline would ensure that. Some behavior just cannot be tolerated, or condoned. Taking money from my wallet now, if permitted, might mean robbing banks or shooting up heroin 15 years from now. Kids, even more than wives, really need to be shown the limit. 

Having said that, I am extremely thankful, on a daily basis, that I do not have kids. 

You are talking about kids and you don't have any.. nice one go have some more heroin.

6 hours ago, ffaarraanngg said:

Trump is potentially a great man,.

You want to get one of those air fryers for your roast potatoes as i see just a hob there .... not perfect but not bad.

Now you can be thankful for ME.

I hadn't finished mashing the potatoes. Potentially, everyone is a great man. At least in Thailand, it isn't ALL Trump ALL the time if you don't want it.