Thailand adopts 911 as emergency number

webfact

Is this deja-vu or what?

Was this not announced months ago???

Quite sure it was, as my reply was "Don't put 911 on the cops cars, as all the thieves will think they are Porsches", and it got about 30 Likes.

BTW - That's an ancient racial joke my brother told me 30 years ago. Substitute thief for whatever.

I would have preferred to see adoption of the 110 / 119 / 120 as used in Japan. Similar in China and Korea. Why copy America? Why not 999?

It's not really that important which number is used, as long as it's compatible with a country's existing numbering plan and doesn't conflict with some other quick-dial service. Since any number selection would be arbitrary, might as well pick a number that is well known, easy to remember and difficult to dial inadvertently. Even countries that don't use 911 know about it, thanks to popularization by Hollywood.

50 percent of 911 calls in the US are Butt Dialing. Criminals have been caught red handed due to butt dialing and a Pizza Delivery driver in a stupid racist operatic interpretation of The Overture from the ballad of Figaro. They fired the stupid bigot.

• 7 months later...