Rider Dies When Fireworks Explode Motorbike in Bangkok

webfact

Rider Dies When Fireworks Explode Motorbike
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14485245861448524628l.jpg
A motorcycle seriously damaged after illegal fireworks exploded, killing one rider and injuring the other Wednesday night on Phutthamonthon Sai 2 Road in Bangkok’s Thawi Wattana district.

BANGKOK — A college student was killed and another injured in the Bangkok suburbs last night after homemade explosives they were transporting by motorcycle accidentally exploded.

The two students were on the way back from buying “ping pong bombs” in Pathum Thani province, which they likely put under the bike’s seat, when they hit a bump on the road, and the bombs exploded, Col. Samart Promchart of Thammasala Police Station said.

“The victim probably carried the explosives under the seat before they got blown up due to road bumps,” Samart said.

A witness driving behind the victims said sparks were seen coming from the bike before it exploded, throwing the two riders in different directions. Samart said it was not immediately clear how much Teppitak was carrying, but that traces of the ping pong bombs were found at the scene, he added.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1448524586

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-26

But we all know "Ping Pong" fireworks are banned right?

Ah, the firework sellers simply don't display them, you just need to go inside the shop and ask then...Voila!

I am a bit surprised that they did this much damage though, must have been a lot of them or a pretty potent variety.

The other possibility is that they were the normal ping pong fireworks that the kids then dismantle and put all of the powder together and reassemble as a "super ping pong" - This has been a popular pastime at my son's local school for the past few days.

They make bigger and stronger varieties each year. Again I am surprised that the thing exploded due to a "bump" - normally you couldn't set this powder off with a flame, you need the flash of a match or similar.

My wife said that Channel 7 reported that someone had planted them in the bike deliberately and then set them off, not heard anything more about, but they also reported it blew one of the kids legs off.

Edited by menzies233

More Darwin Award candidates.

Not really,how could they possibly known that a bump in the road would set them off?

yeah, who'd think that explosives explode...

my bad.

and next to the gas tank must be the safest place to carry them?

Yes, a Darwin Award winner.

Note:

On these little bikes "under the seat" = next to and up against the gas tank.

Hence, a bigger bang for your buck.

I don't think I saw a gas tank in the photo.

The last thing which went though the rider's mind, just after his own testicles did....

Could have been combination of the engine heat and friction of being bounced around from pathum Thani to bkk...

Beyond belief a Thai would never think about the consequences of danger but they really don't

Bit like the guy last month who decided to piss on an electric pole and died from the shock

Could have been combination of the engine heat and friction of being bounced around from pathum Thani to bkk...

Beyond belief a Thai would never think about the consequences of danger but they really don't

Bit like the guy last month who decided to piss on an electric pole and died from the shock

No that's very unfair, it should have been perfectly safe to piss on the concrete pole, otherwise we would all be dead every first time it rains (iykwIm). It was very unlucky for the poor guy that some idiot had left a live cable dangling down (not the only thing).

But nobody should be stupid enough to ride on a load of explosives unless their name is Baron Von Munchausen.

More Darwin Award candidates.

Not really,how could they possibly known that a bump in the road would set them off?

yeah, who'd think that explosives explode...

my bad.

How many people carry lighters in the pockets, there is enough butane in them to blow you in half, who would have thought that,

One dead at the scene and one injured...but 2 sheets on the road. By the look of the bike and all the debris on the road are you thinking what I'm thinking?

The young man lost a leg instantly, so they covered both parts....

Apparently getting into college doesn't include enough science courses passed to know how badly this was handled by the poor lad. RIP

Edited by animatic