Rider Dies When Fireworks Explode Motorbike in Bangkok

webfact

More Darwin Award candidates.

Not really,how could they possibly known that a bump in the road would set them off?

yeah, who'd think that explosives explode...

my bad.

How many people carry lighters in the pockets, there is enough butane in them to blow you in half, who would have thought that,

Meh. You'd need an exact air-fuel mixture to have anything but a small pop, if you throw a lighter in a fire (don't), it'll make a pop but not much more. Even spray cans have a larger effect, as they already are in a gaseous form. Same as LPG vs NGV. Now explosives such as fireworks on the other hand .. yeah well take a look at the OP.

A young guy tragically died. Right, it seems he did something very foolish, but he paid the ultimate price. Joking is usually cool. But, I can't help but think of his family and friends. If any one of us was a family member, we wouldn't want to read these jokes. You never know, it can happen. Until after a few days hence, many would say joking may be in poor taste. Better to leave the joking til later, if at all.

Not really,how could they possibly known that a bump in the road would set them off?

my bad.

How many people carry lighters in the pockets, there is enough butane in them to blow you in half, who would have thought that,

Meh. You'd need an exact air-fuel mixture to have anything but a small pop, if you throw a lighter in a fire (don't), it'll make a pop but not much more. Even spray cans have a larger effect, as they already are in a gaseous form. Same as LPG vs NGV. Now explosives such as fireworks on the other hand .. yeah well take a look at the OP.

The fuels you refer to have completely different explosive velocities. Unless the combustion of a gas commences within a closed vessel, allowing a pressure build up, combustion would only be described as slow or just a burn.

Gas bottles and pressurised cans even if exposed to fire do not combust until the vessel wall has failed. The initial explosion is a build up of pressure within the vessel due to temperature increase following P=mRT/V and due to a decrease in tensile strenght of the vessel wall material due to the heat source.

Combustion of the gas occurs once the vessel has failed and oxygen is available. It is still only a slow burn but looks impressive due to the expansion of the gas realeased when the vessel fails.

Fireworks generally contain an oxidiser so the velocity is potentially higher and can self ignite within a closed vessel or container at a specific temperature.

Edited by Reigntax

One of my Thai friends on FB just shared all the gory pics of this accident. Disgusting, don't understand this Thai obsession with dismembered accident victims. Obviously can't re-post here. What pisses me off more is that I can't watch a 45 year old James Bond movie on a paid satellite channel without having James smoking or pointing a gun at Dr. No being censored.

Edited by SpaceKadet

Ever seen the looky-loos at an accident scene on a US freeway? It can be very frustrating as everyone creeps past so they can get a good look at the victims. This although the Highway Patrol officers will be trying to wave people by and get the traffic moving. Traffic can be tied up for many miles.

Ever seen the looky-loos at an accident scene on a US freeway? It can be very frustrating as everyone creeps past so they can get a good look at the victims. This although the Highway Patrol officers will be trying to wave people by and get the traffic moving. Traffic can be tied up for many miles.

I think the word is 'rubber neckers' not looky loos.

my bad.

No there isn't....

The manic: I think that different terms are used in different localities. In California, I've often heard the term looky-loos used on radio and TV. As I remember, rubber-neckers is an East Coast term. What do you think?

From the name ping pong bombs I will venture a guess you would throw them and they explode upon impact correct? Well sounds ok to put under your seat with the great streets and paving work done here. Sorry for famlies loss and street cleaners job of scraping butt off the streets.

Note:

On these little bikes "under the seat" = next to and up against the gas tank.

Hence, a bigger bang for your buck.

I don't think I saw a gas tank in the photo.

It landed somewhere in Cambodia, by the looks of that damage.