Why is Samui so dangerous, and why is nothing being done about it?

It boogles my mind that people say nothing is being done about improving Samui's roads... blink.png

Drive between Maenam and Nathon and see how much work is being done... slow progress granted, but at least something is being done ...and driving through some sections are slow going while the connect the drainage system across the road in the Ban Tai / Ban Por area... but when done, it will be greatly improved .... thumbsup.gif

I'm not a fan of the original poster and find it difficult to understand why they post on Samui forums let alone start a topic (can't have much of a life I guess, so a bit sad).

There is a lot of good work being done on the drive between Maenam and Nathon, unfortunately not particularly quickly. Currently it is very dangerous with ruts, poor signage especially where one lane is closed off, potholes, massive holes at the side of the road and sections of exposed spikes where if you come off the side of the road it will be very nasty. People beware and drive carefully along this route especially at night.

One other thing, the side drains seem to be a bit high unless there is a lot of concrete or tarmac going down?

Hopefully with better weather the work will speed up.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It boogles my mind that people say nothing is being done about improving Samui's roads... blink.png

Drive between Maenam and Nathon and see how much work is being done... slow progress granted, but at least something is being done ...and driving through some sections are slow going while the connect the drainage system across the road in the Ban Tai / Ban Por area... but when done, it will be greatly improved .... thumbsup.gif

I'm not a fan of the original poster and find it difficult to understand why they post on Samui forums let alone start a topic (can't have much of a life I guess, so a bit sad).

There is a lot of good work being done on the drive between Maenam and Nathon, unfortunately not particularly quickly. Currently it is very dangerous with ruts, poor signage especially where one lane is closed off, potholes, massive holes at the side of the road and sections of exposed spikes where if you come off the side of the road it will be very nasty. People beware and drive carefully along this route especially at night.

One other thing, the side drains seem to be a bit high unless there is a lot of concrete or tarmac going down?

Hopefully with better weather the work will speed up.

Was the same a few years back between Nathon and Southern Part of Ring Road to Muslim Village – the probably will add tarmac on top of the old cement road, like have been done all others places, roads have been repaired, and already a short distance at the entrance to Maenam Bay; the side drains will will fit nicely and much better than the grilles in Bophut...

I lived on Samui for ten years. While there, I was told by a friend who volunteered with Samui rescue, that there were up to 60 deaths per month, on the roads. There have been some studies done, and they have concluded that Samui is perhaps the most dangerous place in the world to drive. There is zero law enforcement on Samui. There is zero traffic safety. There is occasional helmet safety enforcement, but that is more of a revenue collection program, rather than traffic safety.

So, the questions I have are:

Why don't the local officials care?

Why is there so little in the way of local pride on Samui?

Why is there no traffic safety enforcement, regular DUI checks, regular helmet checks, stops to check drivers licenses, or similar programs?

Why do the local officials allow kids as young as 10 years old, who have no experience, and represent an incredible danger to others, to drive motorbikes on Samui?

There are some local ex-pats who are upset enough about the situation that they have started a Facebook forum called Roads of Koh Samui. There they post accidents on a daily and sometimes hourly basis, like the gentleman named Brian who was mowed down and killed by a young speed bike racer last night. Brian looked both ways, and was sober, before crossing the road in Bangrak. But, this kid was probably going 100 kph. What can one do about that?

The Ring Road was never completed, though the budget was laid out by the central government many years ago. Six or seven years later, they are still working on it, one kilometer at a time.

An excerpt from the Samui Times, about driving on Samui:

With hundreds of people dying and being seriously injured on the roads of Koh Samui every year, is it not time that someone is called into accountability for this?

The widely recognized definition of ‘police’ is a body of people who not only are intrinsic in the prevention of crime, but one that protects the health, safety and well being of the community in which they have force. How then, one must ponder, is it that in a place where the population more than doubles during tourist seasons and one where the rate of road traffic accidents is widely recognized as one of the most dangerous on the planet, is not more being done to prevent these horrific accidents from happening?

http://www.samuitimes.com/staying-safe-roads-koh-samui/

Who is your friend at Samui rescue

The roads are better than many other places in the world, the issue is the people who use them.

Well said its people who never rode a bike before and people driving dangerously in a country where they have a completely different style of driving of that of what we a re used to

People drive drunk with no helmets first time on a bike is like Russian roulette with 4 bullets out 6 in the chamber

This can happen anywhere so is not exclusive to Samui but I want to point it out.

Twice in the last 3 days I have been at the Bangrak end of the ghost road (soi baan ghai), I want to turn right and both a motorbike and a songtheaw have indicated left before the junction yet have gone past and parked at the 7-11. If I had decided to turn right as they were signalling left I would have been hit by both.

If someone signals don't assume they are going to do what you think they are going to do, wait and survive another day!

Not much safety during the works I'm afraid as someone died yesterday because of the unsafe way the road is being repaired ... massive holes left unguarded at the side of the road and spikes exposed there which are lethal if you happen to come off.

Not much safety during the works I'm afraid as someone died yesterday because of the unsafe way the road is being repaired ... massive holes left unguarded at the side of the road and spikes exposed there which are lethal if you happen to come off.

Sadly probably a result of someone not slowing down or driving without due care...

I drive that section several times a week, and see how stupid some drivers can be... and not just Thai's ... just impatient drivers...

There are certainly more than enough signs telling people to slow down, both in Thai and English... but..... facepalm.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Islanders simply own the island same in Koh Tao, PhangGhan etc...etc....

They do not conform to anything they do not like and no one can stop them so corrupt local authorities are, refusing themselves to be under Surat Thani Administrative rules and in turn Surat Thani refusing to be under Bangkok rules.

That explains why sometimes the Thai Army or Thai Navy super seeding all those has to intervene but not in my humble opinion often enough.

Most killings are unresolved and a disgrace for Thailand.

Every visitor is on his own better not to get caught as there is no chances to be rescued on times and or efficiently proved so true each time...

I have never been offered any drugs of course some one told me I am not looking for any but yes the disease exists.

All the times it can be hell or paradise just a question of luck with a flip of a coin.

I have stopped to drive any vehicle...I have stopped to swim as soon as there is any risks doing it included seasonal box jellies fishes risks...I do not mix in nightclubs with any locals....no jetskis renting...no trip to the nearby islands power boats driver can be mad.

Illusions all gone facing the reality.....No meters no customers for taxis....

It is a non drinking for self preservation area limiting our visits per year to a minimum.Indeed the foreigners residents live a lie.

Islanders simply own the island same in Koh Tao, PhangGhan etc...etc....

They do not conform to anything they do not like and no one can stop them so corrupt local authorities are, refusing themselves to be under Surat Thani Administrative rules and in turn Surat Thani refusing to be under Bangkok rules.

That explains why sometimes the Thai Army or Thai Navy super seeding all those has to intervene but not in my humble opinion often enough.

Most killings are unresolved and a disgrace for Thailand.

Every visitor is on his own better not to get caught as there is no chances to be rescued on times and or efficiently proved so true each time...

I have never been offered any drugs of course some one told me I am not looking for any but yes the disease exists.

All the times it can be hell or paradise just a question of luck with a flip of a coin.

I have stopped to drive any vehicle...I have stopped to swim as soon as there is any risks doing it included seasonal box jellies fishes risks...I do not mix in nightclubs with any locals....no jetskis renting...no trip to the nearby islands power boats driver can be mad.

Illusions all gone facing the reality.....No meters no customers for taxis....

It is a non drinking for self preservation area limiting our visits per year to a minimum.Indeed the foreigners residents live a lie.

I have to wonder why you come here at all.

Can't be much fun wandering around looking over your shoulder all the time.

I am a foreign resident and lived here for 15 years and love it here.

I have no illusions about the downside of the island but I am not going to let them get me down. Better here than in Europe at the moment.

I am not living a lie, much as you might think so, but clearly Koh Samui is not the place for you and time you found another "perfect" holiday destination.

Went from Bophut to Nathon a couple of days ago and the road has improved a lot, there is still work going on, some holes that really need filling now ! and to be honest the signage could be improved where there are hazards and the work is ongoing.

Let's hope with the better weather it will progress quite quickly.

This island could easily ban all cars for non commercial purposes.on the smallest scooter it takes you 2 hours to circumnavigate the whole rock. Improve public transport Songtaews etc. And road accidents would reduce drastically. It's not often that a death on the roads do not include a car. Scooters are not much faster than a bicycle and they do not seem to be crashing into each other very frequently. SAMUI the 2 wheel island. !

This island could easily ban all cars for non commercial purposes.on the smallest scooter it takes you 2 hours to circumnavigate the whole rock. Improve public transport Songtaews etc. And road accidents would reduce drastically. It's not often that a death on the roads do not include a car. Scooters are not much faster than a bicycle and they do not seem to be crashing into each other very frequently. SAMUI the 2 wheel island. !

Sorry but you obviously have no idea about the island or number of scooter accidents or injury & deaths.

Sorry but you obviously have no idea about the island or number of scooter accidents or injury & deaths.

The vast majority of vehicles are used for commercial purposes by business owners so you would not get rid of many even if it was a sensible and viable solution - which it is not. Rooo is also correct in that a large number of accidents are bike only or bike and bike and do not always include a vehicle. The answer as it has always been is better policing (which of course will never happen) and better roads - which they are slowly doing something about. If you think that bikes only is the answer then I suggest you take a spin round the ring road and try dodging the tourists who have never ridden bikes before and the local youth who enjoy being macho and immortal!

tm_zpsfwabiih6.gif

One of the main reasons for rating as the world's no 1 place for motorbike accidents, is that for some utterly inconceivable reason, motorbikes and scooters are hired on only passport details. and not driving licences. None are asked for. The rider might be a total novice, having never ridden one before, but believes that he or she must be able to ride O.K. !! Add some alcohol to the mix, and other faster riders overtaking and rushing past, and there are the ingredients for a accident, fatal or otherwise. At least start addressing the problem by insisting that renters MUST have a valid licence for what they are hiring!

Agree.

The motorcycle lessors are lazy here.

They rent their bikes out for 150- 250 (scooter) a day,

Why they do not sell one hour driving lessons or more for foreigners, who have never driven a motorcycle before?

Show them how to use the brake, front and back.

Show them to drive slow.

Show them where the direction indicator is, and how to bring it back into neutrale position.

That would be a win - win situation.

Foreigners do not lost there lifes, and the thai lessors can charge 150 Baht more.

That would include an hour drive and braking exercises.

I would appreciate that you could thereby save around 100 - 200 lives per year on Koh Samui.

Isn't that sort of what a driving licence is for?

I can drive but never driven those small bikes until I used them in Thailand. Show me how to start, don't use the front brake on steep hill ... erm, that's it. The rest is kind of common sense if you can drive and I have never had issues on various island windy roads (Koh Pha Ngan/Koh Chang). These vehicles are not at all complicated to be honest, couldn't be easier if you know how to drive

If you need instructions on simple things like that then you most likely have neither a licence or common sense so shouldn't be renting

Went from Bophut to Nathon a couple of days ago and the road has improved a lot, there is still work going on, some holes that really need filling now ! and to be honest the signage could be improved where there are hazards and the work is ongoing.

Let's hope with the better weather it will progress quite quickly.

A few months ago, there were many more warning construction signs, so many in fact it would have been difficult to do any work, especially with the excavators etc they are using...

But everyday, I see armies of workers doing various jobs... The connections of the drainage system across the road is a slowing progress.... plus my theory is that they have to let the concrete cure for about month before filling in, that holds things up!! ( I might be wrong on that?) wink.png

People need to slow down, when going through a construction area, that should be plainly obvious......

Complete misunderstanding here.

In this context "Samui's Roads" does not refer to the surface of the road or the drainage. These are being addressed, as you point out.

"Samui's Roads" means the ongoing danger that is present all around when anyone DRIVES on Samui's roads.

No doubt you will say that you are still here and you have been driving your motorbike, with care and diligence, on the roads of Samui for more than a decade. But that will continue to remain true only to the point that some brainless idiot stuffs his truck into a tree, the cars behind dodge, a convoy of crawling Chinese motorcyclists all fall off their bikes in panic, and a concrete truck swerves to avoid them and ploughs into you, sitting on your bike, stationary at the side of the road.

Not that I would wish this on anyone.

But the sheer danger on the road here is simply beyond any kind of first-world belief.

For example, today alone, members of ROKS have reported 6 bad accidents. And that's only the ones that members have posted.

Fingers crossed, Jim.

R

Edited by robsamui

What a total eff*&*ing idiot. Are you living up a tree somewhere in Ruanda Urundi?

You must be. Because you have no contact with any reality on Koh Samui. Not a clue. A waste of space.

Scooters are not much faster than bicycles? And bicycles don't have crashes on Koh Samui? Have your lobotomy scars healed yet? I think not.

Come over here from wherever you are. Hire a "scooter". Ride about on the island for the day. And that will put paid to your ignorant posturing, because you'll not be alive to continue this kind of crap. Hopefully you'll just be in hospital, although 'dead' might appear to be less problematic. Hopefully not.

Effi&&*ing* armchair expert. Get out of here. Come here, get on your bike, then crash. Then come back and write another expert observation about the state of play on Samui Island.

(Feel better now. Hmm.)

R

Edited by robsamui

they don't want pay retirement. if you die young, you are an asset to Thailand.

Not a clue what you are on about. Could you try to elaborate a bit, please? Using sentences and complicated stuff like that? Is it possible?

OH! Are you imagining that when Thai people get old the government gives them some kind of State pension ("retirement") and so it makes the government happier if all the people here die young?

Please tell me that this is what you mean? (Hoots of laughter.) Because another clueless idiot on this forum will just crease me up!

Why don't you and this superkid 'Dualbleed' team up and come on a scooter holiday to Samui and then report back?

I'm all agog!

Amazing.

Edited by robsamui

Not a clue what you are on about. Could you try to elaborate a bit, please? Using sentences and stuff like that? Is it possible?

OH! Are you imagining that when Thai people get old the government gives them some kind of State pension ("retirement") and so it makes the government happier if all the people here die young?

Please tell me that this is what you mean? (Hoots of laughter.)

Because another clueless idiot on this forum will just crease me up!

Why don't you and this superkid 'Dualbleed' team up and come on a scooter holiday to Samui and then report back?

Amazing.

they got 500 bahts per month.

learn English!

Not a clue what you are on about. Could you try to elaborate a bit, please? Using sentences and stuff like that? Is it possible?

Please tell me that this is what you mean? (Hoots of laughter.)

Because another clueless idiot on this forum will just crease me up!

Amazing.

they got 500 bahts per month.

learn English!

Getting more entertaining every minute!

Who got 500B? For doing what? You think Thai people earn 500 baht - £10 - $16 - a month?

Sadly I cannot advise on how to restore cognitive function or repair lobotomies. But the staff at BKK Hospital are good if you have insurance.

(NOT trolling - merely responding contemplatively.)

This forum has sure gotten lively of late!

Do I need to learn English for some reason? Please reply using sentences . . .

OK - sorry moderator. Off topic. Enough now. (I'm off to find an Adis Abbaba beer bar to get some meaningful conversation. Hope I don't get involved in a road accident on the way. It's dangerous on the roads. ;-)

Edited by robsamui

It amazes me everyday, I have to drive to Nathon and how much work is being done..... It may still be a while before black top is put in... but I think one day we'll find this will be done overnight.!!

Sidewalks and drainage system is being completed in many sections now, they must be burning the "midnight oil" between Ban Tai and Nathon ....thumbsup.gif

Feb%2525202016-3.jpg

Feb%2525202016-7.jpg

This was yesterday outside the Ban Por 7-11... this morning it had all been cemented...thumbsup.gif

Feb%2525202016-12.jpg