chiang mai cost of living?

P4K

so I just got here last night and currently got 2 weeks at a nice condo but its nearly 2k/m so way outside my budget.

I wanna know how 4 guys should go about looking for a house here. We need a 4b house with a budget of 500-700max, for about 6months. And how decent of a place can we find given this budget?

Also how much would I need to pay if I wanted a nice condo or apartment here and I was staying alone? Im really trying to get something cheap but also decent. If I get a 6month lease thing would I get a better deal. Also all of these places need to be furnished

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

talking about usd obvs lol and yea we'd get a maid to clean up after us and its not bad we had a place in phuket 3 of us and it was okay. But yea how much is a 1b or studio condo here if I rent locally and furnished? and where should i go to find one?

talking about usd obvs lol

Not really obvious at all.

4 Bedroom house on a six month rental for 4 guys sharing..... I think you're going to struggle to find someone willing to rent out to you. Try four rooms in one block, anything from 2500B-15,000B/month/room (or more if you really want to splash out) depending on what you want. Well, I actually know a place that is 900B/month, but I doubt you would want to live there.

How to find? Walk the sois of where you want to live. 4 guys, I'm guessing youngish, try Santitam, lots of accomodation, lots of entertainment, everything you need and Nimanahaeminda Road not too far away.

Four guys coming to a city with cheaper rent than anywhere in America, and they want to share? I would recommend "re-education." And are we to assume that your visa gives you permission to stay as long as the lease you are willing to sign? I'm sure your credit reports would be interesting reading, also. We've got 32 sm condos with balconies for 4000 thb, with government rate on electric. I think there are probably too many beautiful 20+ yo girls for your liking, though.

Edited by bangmai

Four guys coming to a city with cheaper rent than anywhere in America, and they want to share? I would recommend "re-education." And are we to assume that your visa gives you permission to stay as long as the lease you are willing to sign? I'm sure your credit reports would be interesting reading, also. We've got 32 sm condos with balconies for 4000 thb, with government rate on electric. I think there are probably too many beautiful 20+ yo girls for your liking, though.

$500 isn't very cheap. I can find $300/month studios in my hometown. So I think you should do a LOT better in a 3rd world country price wise. I try to search for apartments in the $50-$100 range.

Might as well get an apartment for each person. Can get a decent studio for 2000 baht a month if you look but it probably won't have aircon. 3500 a month will get you a luxury studio with aircon.

I suspect your definition of luxury may differ from the common concept.

actually 4000 thb for a condo?

Might as well get an apartment for each person. Can get a decent studio for 2000 baht a month if you look but it probably won't have aircon. 3500 a month will get you a luxury studio with aircon.

where can you find these places?

I always get my places off airbnb (obvs more expensive since its targeted at tourists) but the cheapest furnished studio condos im finding are at least 1kusd/m

also Im canadian not american I just thought people would know I meant usd.

and lol at everyone freaking out about 4 people sharing a house. Its not necessarily to be cheap its mainly work related and its really normal actually, Ive been sharing places with other guys for the past year. And yea its better to have roommates to party with cause it prob gets boring alone. But if someone can point me in the direction of a luxury condo thats 500usd> im on board

Edited by P4K

Hi,

I found a nice, newish, furnished 1 bedroom apt. with 2 aircons, internet and WE TV subscription, fridge but no cooker included for 9000/month THB for 6 month lease. Out west in university area but away from Nimmanhemin busyness. But that was after LOT of legwork in early 2015. Studios abundant, bigger places rare. Prices are not so cheap here in my experience.

And yes, I agree - post all prices in THB. Anything else is confusing.

Also I am an American citizen. To help the non-Yanks understand (not excuse) the very real and all-too-common "attitude," you should know that we are told from earliest days that the USA IS somewhat the center of the universe, that we saved the world - twice - and that the US dollar rules. Hollywood and the US-controlled media reinforce this at every turn. This is in no way meant to excuse our ignorance, as shown by many, but just so you can begin to understand the cultural bias we have to start from, deal with, and get over.

OP: Even you Canadians have picked it up- must be contagious. LOL, sorry.

Edited by ByblosYuNaiSoi

$500 isn't very cheap. I can find $300/month studios in my hometown. So I think you should do a LOT better in a 3rd world country price wise. I try to search for apartments in the $50-$100 range.

That was the low end of their price range for a 4 br house.

talking about usd obvs lol and yea we'd get a maid to clean up after us and its not bad we had a place in phuket 3 of us and it was okay. But yea how much is a 1b or studio condo here if I rent locally and furnished? and where should i go to find one?

Obvious? In Thailand the local currency is Baht, thought you'd have known that.

Four men renting most likely means 8 people four of whom will be constantly changing. Wouldn't want to be your maid and definitely wouldn't even contemplate being your landlord!

actually 4000 thb for a condo?

also Im canadian

I just checked..."NO VACANCY."