Kor Ror 22 specifics and clarifications.

I have read through many posts but a few things seem unclear.

ubonjoe wrote:

At the embassy you will do a declaration that the marriage certificate is authentic. Then you have it and the marriage certificate translated to Thai and have the translation certified at the MFA. The translation service can do the certification for you for a small additional fee.

Then as said you go the local Amphoe and register your marriage. They will update your wife's house book and do a new ID card with her married name on it if she wants it that way.

From post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719364-married-abroad-want-to-legalize-marriage-in-thailand-where-to-go/

It seems that i must go to three or four different offices to get this done (Sounds like a three day event at best)

1. Go to the embassy (US Embassy in my case) to get the declaration. (120-122 Wireless Rd. 10330)

2. Get the certificate and declaration translated into thai. (Plenty of these around the embassy)

3. Go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) to have the translation certified. (Sri Ayudhya Road, Bangkok 10400)(Or the translation office if they offer it)

4. Go to the "local" Amphoe to register and get the Kor Ror 22. (??)

Number 4 is where I am confused the most, as to what it "local"... ??

My wife is from Phu Toei, Wichionburi, Phetechabun, Thailand.

Does that mean we need to go to the office in her town, most likely the Wichionburi office?

Can this be done here in Bangkok? If so where is that office if my apartment is near On Nut?

Do we need to take the original house book with us and must she go in person along with me... ??

Thanks,

R

Edited by moon47

Two and 3 can be done by the translator. Just pay the translation service a small additional fee and they can get the MFA certification done for you. They could then EMS the documents to you.

The marriage registration can be done at any Amphoe. Local in the post means the one for where you are living. Since you are living in Bangkok that would be the Khet for where you are living.

You can find info in Thai for the nearest one to you here: http://www.amphoe.com/main.php

I strongly suggest you do 2 and 3 together. If you do this yourself and there is an error in the translation (and there often is) you will either have to go back to the original company yourself or get a company at the MFA to redo the translation. That is hard work.

If you pay the translation company to go to the MFA then they have to do the repeat journey themselves.

My wife and I accomplished all 4 stages in a single day's trip to Bangkok several years ago. After doing 1 (at the UK Embassy in my case), we went round to an agent who arranged 2 - 4 for us. In connection with 4, we ended up tying the knot at Sathorn (one of the Bangkok "khets" referred to be ubonjoe?), rather than at our local amphur back in Rayong changwat. So you don't need to get married at your local amphur/"khet" so long, presumably, as you are willing to fork out extra for employing the services of an agent.

My wife and I accomplished all 4 stages in a single day's trip to Bangkok several years ago. After doing 1 (at the UK Embassy in my case), we went round to an agent who arranged 2 - 4 for us. In connection with 4, we ended up tying the knot at Sathorn (one of the Bangkok "khets" referred to be ubonjoe?), rather than at our local amphur back in Rayong changwat. So you don't need to get married at your local amphur/"khet" so long, presumably, as you are willing to fork out extra for employing the services of an agent.

They are wanting to register their foreign marriage here not register a new marriage.

Ya looking to register the foreign marriage like Joe stated but I will look at the prices for services and see if it is worth it.

I will definitely do 2 & 3 together so I will only use a shop that will do both...

Thanks for the link Joe. Only Thai as mentioned but I will have my wife find the closest office on the site...

Thanks everyone... =]

• 1 month later...

Last question...

I went to the translation office but they only translated and had the MFA stamp the document from the American Embassy saying that the marriage certificate is valid and true... They seemed sure that I only needed the one document translated... =[

Reading back the other post said I need to get both translated and stamped from the MFA before going to the Amphoe to get the KR22...

Is that correct, did the translation office screw this up, do i need to go back to them to get the actual marriage certificate translated and stamped by the MFA... ??

This is turning into a nightmare... =[ I have already done the Embassy document twice because I had my birthday incorrect on the first one... !!

If I have to go back to the Translation service one more time I will rip what is left of my hair out... =0

Since the marriage certificate in not in Thai it has to be translated and certified by the MFA.

Perhaps the service were confused between doing something at immigration and an Amphoe. Immigration does not require translations if the documents are in English. Everything at an Amphoe has to be in Thai.

Just fantastic... =[

I just gave my marriage certificate and a paper (Previously stamped by MFA, see above) from the embassy that said that my certificate was original and correct under the US law.

I had to write my own statement and they just stamped that written statement from me as the US Embassy does not actually verify the actual certificate itself.

The MFA said they would not stamp the marriage certificate because the embassy did not stamp the marriage certificate...

Now what... ?!?!?!?!?!

I did everything I am supposed to do what the @#$% is the problem here. This is so frustrating... I have already plunked over 4000 baht and time off work to be back where I started in the first place...

Please help if you can... !!!!

Thank you,

R

Just fantastic... =[

I just gave my marriage certificate and a paper (Previously stamped by MFA, see above) from the embassy that said that my certificate was original and correct under the US law.

I had to write my own statement and they just stamped that written statement from me as the US Embassy does not actually verify the actual certificate itself.

The MFA said they would not stamp the marriage certificate because the embassy did not stamp the marriage certificate...

Now what... ?!?!?!?!?!

I did everything I am supposed to do what the @#$% is the problem here. This is so frustrating... I have already plunked over 4000 baht and time off work to be back where I started in the first place...

Please help if you can... !!!!

Thank you,

R

The MFA does not need to stamp the marriage certificate. They just need to certify the translation of it. That will satisfy the Amphoe.

Do you mean that I just need the translation service to stamp/certify the translation.

Or does the MFA only stamp/certify the translation of the certificate and not the authenticity of it.

If the latter I already told the translation service that but she said that they will not do it because it is not stamped from the embassy.

Perhaps she just does not know how to go about this. I should have used the office you suggested... =[

Do you mean that I just need the translation service to stamp/certify the translation.

Or does the MFA only stamp/certify the translation of the certificate and not the authenticity of it.

If the latter I already told the translation service that but she said that they will not do it because it is not stamped from the embassy.

Perhaps she just does not know how to go about this. I should have used the office you suggested... =[

The MFA just needs to certify the translation.