Thai junta faces backlog of industry problems as global scrutiny mounts

Jonathan Fairfield

These abuses of labour are not only happening in poorly paid jobs but in government employ as well.

A family member, a government employee, wanted to return to her home province to look after ailing parents. She is very competent in her job and has a masters degree.

Her new boss, a senior government official, demanded and got 300,000 baht for the transfer - straight into his pocket. This effectively means she will be working for a year and half for nothing.

This money was raised by her parents selling some land off their already small holding.

If the junta wants to clean up their act their own government service would be a good place to start. Actually, it must first start in the police force. If corruption can't be halted there there is no hope for the rest of the country.

And we all know the answer to that.

The current and previous Thai governments pretty much give lip service to labor abuses and will not take some kind of corrective action until literally forced into a corner. And it's not only labor abuses with workers from surrounding countries, but also Thai nationals.

I've monitored closely a couple of my in-laws go jump from various jobs over the last year...minimum wage/Bt300 per day type jobs. Good, hard working people just trying to find a descent job even at minimum wage. They will jump from one minimum wage job to another due to the poor work conditions and/or labor abuses. But rather than complaining to a govt agency they just go find another job which usually turns out to be no better or worst. So sad.

You do realise that companies have been failing to comply not governments.....

These massive exporters in these industries have known for decades about these problems and have chosen to do NOTHING because it would effect their bottom line.

I try to live for today and not look at my past failings. My history does not concern me as much as trying to do better today.

The current and previous Thai governments pretty much give lip service to labor abuses and will not take some kind of corrective action until literally forced into a corner. And it's not only labor abuses with workers from surrounding countries, but also Thai nationals.

I've monitored closely a couple of my in-laws go jump from various jobs over the last year...minimum wage/Bt300 per day type jobs. Good, hard working people just trying to find a descent job even at minimum wage. They will jump from one minimum wage job to another due to the poor work conditions and/or labor abuses. But rather than complaining to a govt agency they just go find another job which usually turns out to be no better or worst. So sad.

You do realise that companies have been failing to comply not governments.....

These massive exporters in these industries have known for decades about these problems and have chosen to do NOTHING because it would effect their bottom line.

and the importing multinationals benefiting from those torrid conditions have done nothing, like nike and sundry in the clothing industries , profits before humans and they wont do anything till the spot light is squarely and brightly shone on them.

Before you accuse specific companies, they ask little more than that you comply with local rules and regs.

The obligation to comply is on the supplier, it is the obligation of the buyer to check... Both have been negligent but, the supplier is the most guilty party.

The corruption is institutional.

I don't think it's ever going to be solved. It would take more change than Thai society, at every level, is prepared to concede.

....if there is a will there will be a way.........

health / safety starts with common sense.......

eradicating labour and working conditions' abuses starts with compliance enforcements.........

random examples - in the uk, every property for sale must first be certified by a professional, eg a registered electrician......

every commercial entity is legally required to have minimum public liability insurance......

every adult individual has a tax identity and are required to submit tax returns if self employed........etc, etc

yes, it will take time, we should not judge by their inability to make things happen (the western way) overnight.......get to the root of the 'problems'....education / corruption / lack of contingent planning / law enforcement / soi dogs / noise, including temples, and diminish the need of the STUPID 'loss of face' philosophy........

If the government is serious about tacking these problems, they have to get talented people within the ministries. As of now, a Minister is appointed, who has no experience in the area of expertise, and then he has an entire department, that kisses his butt, and is afraid to advise the neophyte. So, everyone in each ministry runs around like chickens without heads. If they used a system or meritocracy, for the Ministerial positions, there is a possibility of change and improvement. If not, they are stuck with mediocrity, or worse.

Also, any company found to be holding the passports of its workers should be subject to massive fines, into the tens of millions of baht, and the executives should be found guilty of a crime, and sent to prison. This definitely sounds like it rises to a level of a violation of human rights. Again. And again, and again.

Look, you can talk all day, until you are blue in the face. You can come up with ridiculous proposals and proclamations all day long, like this administration does daily. But, nothing will ever change unless real men and women who are running these departments are given permission to break heads (metaphorically speaking) and implement real change. That will mean stepping on the heads of the elite, and the wealthy and powerful. And that will require courage and conviction. Do you really want change and progress, or are you just running your mouth again?