New air conditioning compressor- need clarification

mcfish

Hi guys

My AC has been breaking down a lot and my regular technician was here today for 2 hours and said he cant fix it, needs a new compressor (its 10 years old). He cant speak english so I had a translator.

He said he will fit a new compressor for a 24000BTU unit for 11,000 baht (8k for compressor+ 3000k labor) 5 year warranty

Does 11000 baht seem like a fair price?

As Crossy said above if the compressor is goosed it is probably better to replace the complete unit. In home pro they are doing a mitsubishi 18,000 btu inverter for 35k. This model doesn't have the heat option but you shouldn't really need that. There are cheaper makes around but the mitsi is top of the range.

To answer the question on the fairness of the price, the compressor could be ok but i don't know the going rate. The labour charge seems a bit much. Probably a morning's work to remove the refrigerant, fit the compressor, test and commission.

I have 2 rooms, bedroom and tv room total area 74 sqm. I also have 2 AC units both 24000 BTU and to be honest its seems like an overkill to me as the ceilings are low and Im currently running just the one unit in the bedroom and its cooling the TV room as well no problems (with the help of a fan in the door way)

The TV room where I need the compressor is 30sqm. Im pretty sure 12000 btu would take care of it , but I could be wrong

The 'standard' Thai guesstimate is 600-700 BTU per m2, so for 30m2 we're looking at 18,000 to 21,000 BTU. seems reasonable that your 24k bedroom unit can cool the whole area without breaking sweat.

I see , its making sense now. 18000 BTU inverter looks like its the sweet spot

The Labor is cheap, when you consider the amount of special tools needed, time to get the parts, Freon, welding gas, the list is long, expensive tools, consumables.

At this price (11,000 baht) he will never come back if there is a problem.

The going price for a professional job would be 18,000 baht.

10 years old get a new system!

Archived