Massage workers strike in Siem Reap

geovalin

More than 70 workers from a Korean-owned massage centre in the tourist hub of Siem Reap protested in front of their workplace yesterday, demanding a basic wage of $177 per month and a $100 yearly health bonus.

Workers from the Alaska Massage Center have been on strike since Friday following their employer’s repeated refusal to increase wages, said Eang Kenghuy, a masseur and the head of the centre’s Cambodian Food and Service Workers’ Federation (CFSWF) union chapter.

“The authorities asked workers to suspend our strike for a month to find a resolution. But we have not agreed because we have been asking our employer for higher wages and health bonuses since February, but we have had no results,” he said.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/massage-workers-strike-siem-reap

I don't know what they are complaining about. In Thailand all the ladies work on a comms ion basis only. Split 50/50 with the owner. Many of them work for a few Spa's and travel when needed at another one. The more they work the more they earn...,that is the industry.

I don't know what they are complaining about. In Thailand all the ladies work on a comms ion basis only. Split 50/50 with the owner. Many of them work for a few Spa's and travel when needed at another one. The more they work the more they earn...,that is the industry.

I know of none that split 50/50! In Chiang Mai, the basic pay for either Thai or oil massage is only 100 baht to the masseusse and the balance (i.e., generally the larger part) is retained by the owner. A friend of mine just moved to Bangkol to work in a large shop on Khao San Road and she told me that in that shop she makes 120. You might consider this the next time you get a massage and remember to tip the masseusse because she gets to keep 100% of her tips. I don't know how spa workers are compensated.