KTM announces RC and Duke 250 - Also reduces pricing on 200s/390s

TheRoadWarrior

I just checked the 390 at the nice KTM shop in Pattaya, I had a sit on it and it's not as small as I thought it would be, sadly no test rides possible, only the 250 which I am not interested in.

They have a promotion on the 390 this month, free 1 year government+ 1st class insurance, worth 13.900, not a bad deal at all.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when there was nothing between the Ninja 250 and the Er-6n.

Or between the CBR150 and errrrr, nothing.

Talk about a change in market.:D

The Duke 373 looks good for the city, but a lack of dealers etc for services, lack of after market parts easily available etc. would put me off.

A much as I don't like the CB286, it does have the bonus of having dealerships on every corner and parts on every website.

For the city, I think I'd go with the Yammy 03. seems to be a decent balance between the two.

6 hours ago, bramds said:

Did you ride one? I did, for 3 years, and it is super flexible and not too heavy at all. Perfect for city riding and long trips.

But you probably only have experience with real motoGP bikes and the rest is not good enough for you.

Must be fun riding those tracks all day every day, living the life.

To be fair, the CBR500 is a commuter bike, not a sports bike even though it is a "CBR". It was the start of Honda's 'post GFC' line of new reasonably priced products to get more people into riding. It did a good job of that and spawned the CBR250, CBR650 etc.... which are nothing compared to the old CBR250RR or a CBR600RR but are still signs of progress.

KTM, on the other hand, doesn't make many 'non sport' orientated bikes. Their Duke range (excl. 650) is the first attempt at that recently. The Duke range are just more performance oriented than the new Honda range in terms of power/weight (except maybe the 4cyl 650?), where Honda is focusing on a solid reliable commuting bikes with more ccs for developing markets / new entrants.

I just wish you could buy the whole KTM EXC range here street legal like many other countries, as these bikes have very high levels of equipment, great power to weight ratios and are very practical with their upright riding position - about the only thinsg you don't have is high speed/highway performance or 2up. All you need is street wheels/tyres and a front rotor.

Since KTMJeff mentioned the EXC500:

20160703_174312_zpsjbpcpn05.jpg

Sorry to go off tangent :wai2:

brambs , im not saying the Honda is a bad bike , just not MY type of bike. As you , and some others , have mentioned , it OK for running around town , although pretty heavy.  Yes , i have raced GP bikes ( 500cc two strokes ) , and still have a few of them , but we all buy bikes we feel we afford and ride. I was never good enougth to go professional . I hope we are all "living the dream" , in our own ways. Happy Grumpy , the Yamaha R3 is a good case in point. Its marketed as a 300 , yet its a 321.  Now why dont Honda do that.  denkiblue555 , the EXC range is superb , but expensive at - 250 = 458,000 , 350 = 485,000 , 450 = 505,000 and 500 = 560,000. These prices may come down in line with the Dukes price reductions.  Heres hoping. The 390 makes a superb town bike , but may be too much for some , cost and maintainence wise.

9 hours ago, DLang said:

Remember when there was nothing between the Ninja 250 and the Er-6n.

Or between the CBR150 and errrrr, nothing.

Talk about a change in market.:D

The Duke 373 looks good for the city, but a lack of dealers etc for services, lack of after market parts easily available etc. would put me off.

A much as I don't like the CB286, it does have the bonus of having dealerships on every corner and parts on every website.

For the city, I think I'd go with the Yammy 03. seems to be a decent balance between the two.

it would be ok round town - but comes into it's own round the back road twisties, where it would give a bike twice it's size a good run for it's money....its sense of urgency is gob smacking...

Dealers - luck of the draw - 150km for me to bkk, but worth it cos the equivilant Honda / kawa is "same old same old"...

After market accesories - K Speed does a fair few, but KTM dealer has a "power parts"catalogue with huge amount of stuff....

46 minutes ago, properperson said:

it would be ok round town - but comes into it's own round the back road twisties, where it would give a bike twice it's size a good run for it's money....its sense of urgency is gob smacking...

Dealers - luck of the draw - 150km for me to bkk, but worth it cos the equivilant Honda / kawa is "same old same old"...

After market accesories - K Speed does a fair few, but KTM dealer has a "power parts"catalogue with huge amount of stuff....

Agreed, that little duke can go in the mountains.

Here is a clip where a BMW s1000rr tries to catch a KTM390 and end up crashing, LOL.

One reason it's not so good for me is that there is not many twisties around Pattaya, so power is King. If I lived up north I would look hard at the 390.

Just a heads up guys if you are considering the Duke 390: 199.990 baht at KTM Pattaya + free government & Class A insurance worth app 13.700 baht (only this month I think).

That is quite cheap considered it cost 5000$ in the US ~ 174k baht but with the the free class A worth almost 14k baht the difference is very small.

• 4 weeks later...

My first post, folks.

I'm moving to Thailand soon, and as a motorcyclist I'll be buying a bike. The 390 Duke seems like a good bet IF it's reliable. Another factor is the dealers. Is there a KTM dealer in the north of the country? I'll be based in Chiang Rai, so I accept I'd have to travel to get it serviced, but what would be the nearest dealer?

8 hours ago, XB12X said:

My first post, folks.

I'm moving to Thailand soon, and as a motorcyclist I'll be buying a bike. The 390 Duke seems like a good bet IF it's reliable. Another factor is the dealers. Is there a KTM dealer in the north of the country? I'll be based in Chiang Rai, so I accept I'd have to travel to get it serviced, but what would be the nearest dealer?

No. Closest one would be Lopburi, about an 8-hour drive south..:facepalm:

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a Duke 390 2nd hand, love it.  I'm 6' 1" and fit fine.  It's a small bike though,  it's light,  has great suspension, frame,  brakes and tyres.  The engine is amazing.  Has some serious go!  A hoot in the hills and nimble around town.  I got rid of my crf250m for it. Needs a pipe, fuel controller and airbox mod to really open it up.  Was cheap for what you get. 

On 01/10/2016 at 10:53 AM, Bung said:

I just picked up a Duke 390 2nd hand, love it.  I'm 6' 1" and fit fine.  It's a small bike though,  it's light,  has great suspension, frame,  brakes and tyres.  The engine is amazing.  Has some serious go!  A hoot in the hills and nimble around town.  I got rid of my crf250m for it. Needs a pipe, fuel controller and airbox mod to really open it up.  Was cheap for what you get. 

i'm 3 months in to 390 ownership - agree they are a great bike !

15 hours ago, Bung said:

Any problems?  My radiator fan has failed,  a common problem apparently.   I also did a mod to quicken up the throttle,  much better. 

The 2013 / 2014 models had a few problems that were (hopefully) rectified in the 2015 model...

Video shows the differences and the improvements...

Mine is 2016 model, no problems so far: