Best value exterior paint?

Tapster

We painted the interior of the house with paint from Home Pro. It was good quality and we're happy with the results. Not cheap, though.

Now we need to paint the exterior of the house and boundary walls. This will require a lot of paint and I'm wondering where the locals go for good quality exterior paint at a good price.

Can anyone help me with suggestions, please?

Wish I could help. but just for your info I had a house built over 10 years ago and the exterior paint still looks good, and this is with direct exposure to the salt air. The paint wasn't cheap, but I've seen neighbours painting their houses more than 3 times during this time when their contractor used the cheap stuff.

The term ''Super coat'' comes to mind it has been on for 8 years on exterior wall and exterior of house. White and covered another color even withou primering same.

I would second the supercoat brand . We have used it for over 15 years inside and outside. Not so cheap but lasts a long time. You will need to find a supercoat dealer in your area.

Many thanks for the help so far.

It sounds like there's no such thing as a cheap and lasting paint job.

I've got a catalogue from a local shop. Beger "Synotex": 100% acrylic paint, good colour range.

'supercoat' seems to be an ICI paint, though there is an Indian company called Supercoat Paint, but I doubt it's them.

TOA Supershield is 100% acrylic paint and there's Jotun and Nippon as well.

Opinions, please.

Here's an interesting twist and a big lesson for me in handling Thai men.

So, half an hour ago the guy and his team finished the job. They have worked hard and we have been positive throughout the whole thing, giving praise where it's due and only micromanaging where necessary.....................

or so I thought!

We don't speak any Thai and the painters' boss speaks only minimal English.

The overall job looks good but there are some glaring errors, the worst being that they have left the top of the wall (the very top, horizontal surface) only painted in white primer. There's no final two coats of colour there. There are some blue water pipes that have been half-heartedly painted but only the front. The back surface of these pipes, facing the wall, is still blue. And there are splashes of paint on many things that there shouldn't be paint on.

OK, so if you stand back it looks great and maybe I should have said that first with many smiles and effusive thanks, but instead we went around doing a snag list, and about half way around the wall the guy says, "No! No!" and walks off.

Now, I swear I wasn't being a farang , lording it over the servile Thai guy. I know about face, etc. and I wasn't angry; I was just showing him what had been missed.

Anyway, I walked to his pick-up where he's getting his crew on the back, ready to leave.

I say, "I'm sorry! It's a good job!"

He says, "Oh, you say that now!"

So I say, "Please come back and finish it."

His face shows he's clearly unhappy and he mutters several Thai phrases that I'm probably lucky I can't translate.

And then.............he leaned into the cab of his pick-up and came out with a hunting knife in a leather sheath. He took the knife out of the sheath and didn't exactly threaten me with it but vaguely waved it in my direction, accompanied by more choice Thai epithets.

I raised my hands as if to say, "Calm down, mate!" (I am actually from Liverpool!) and moved back a little. We stood looking at each other: me non-threatening and all peaceful-like and him still vaguely waving the knife.

Finally he sheaths the knife and they drive away. Phew!

Fearing repercussions/burning our house down, etc., I immediately transferred the balance of his invoice into his account and made sure he got an immediate confirming SMS, with an apology.

Better safe than sorry, eh?

Bloody 'ell! I only wanted my wall painted!

shock1.gif

It sounds like you got a better than Thai standard paint job! smile.png

I really think that most of the people (and their bosses) that do construction/maintenance work here really don't understand Western quality standards and expectations. There are exceptions, of course (just look at any 4 star hotel or high-end villa), but I suspect these jobs are micro-managed by farangs, or someone trained in Western standards.

I've learned my lesson over the years - there are 3 choices (1) micro-manage the crew and point out mistakes as they're made so they can be corrected on the spot, (2) Leave them alone and accept whatever quality they provide, or (3) Do it myself.

Option (1) can be stressful and the crew can quit on you. If you can find a foreman or crew who understands your expectations, then Option (2) works well, although many times it'll be a crapshoot. I tend to use Option (3) for anything that I know how to do, as I have only myself to blame if I screw it up.

Interesting points, gents!

@ DrDave

Yes, I wonder if making comments after they'd finished was the problem. We should have been a bit more hands on during the job. The thing is, I didn't want to get their backs up.

So, lesson learned...............micromanage at the time the job is done, don't wait until the end to comment!

One other thing, guys:

Is there a gender thing here? My wife (farang) and I were both going round doing the snagging. Would it have been better if it was just me?