Can I apply for retirement visa after my single entry visa expires?

I am a bit of an idiot with regard to visas so I am hoping some wise and thoughtful people can help me with my query.

I am going to Thailand on a single entry visa but I want to apply for retirement visa when I am there.I have been living in Bkk for a few years but up to now I always just availed of the double entry visa and gone back to Ireland every 6 months for a holiday and then returned.

I have 800k in my thai bank a/c,plus I have medical and criminal clearence letters so is it possible that I can apply for retirement visa or do I need non immigrant visa first?

The consulate in Ireland say they only give pension visas and not reirement visas now so I am a bit confused.

If you want an "extension of stay based on retirement" ( it is not a visa) you must first have a non imm "O" visa.

1. You may obtain the visa in Bangkok by "converting" the entry from the single entry tourist visa to a non O entry.

OR

2. A single entry non O visa can be obtained from Vientiane or Penang.

Whichever is chosen you must produce evidence of meeting the financial requirements of the extension (800,000 Bht)

Once you have the O visa application can be made for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay the visa allows.

The consulate may have been cofused by you asking for a "retirement visa" because such a visa does not exist.

You could try asking about the O/A (long stay) visa which can be issued to those over 50. This visa, if used correctly, allows a stay of almost two years before an extension of stay has to be applied for.