Marriage Visa new rules- Have to take wife too?

A "visa based on marriage" at a Thai consulate in a nearby country?

Or, an "EXTENSION based on marriage" at a Thai immigration office here in Thailand?

Two different puppies.

Mac

Visa based on marriage at a Thai consulate in nearby country yeah, which I normally get done at Savannakhet

A "visa based on marriage" at a Thai consulate in a nearby country?

Or, an "EXTENSION based on marriage" at a Thai immigration office here in Thailand?

Two different puppies.

Mac

Visa based on marriage at a Thai consulate in nearby country yeah, which I normally get done at Savannakhet

I converted mine to a NON-O at CW with 400k+ in the bank.

Took about 1 1/2 hours from bank letter, to taking pictures and getting my passport back.

Edited by NewInPatts
  • Like 1

so err.... do I have to take wife to Savannakhet next time?

Thanks

No

There is no requirement that your wife be with you.

Probably an agent giving info for doing an extension at immigration not a visa from the consulate.

But UJ,

wasn't that already always the case, that your wife had to be present when doing an extension of stay (based on marriage) at immigration ? Or was it just that if you let an agent handle it, the wife didn't have to present and they stopped that now ?

• Like 1

Thanks

No

Probably an agent giving info for doing an extension at immigration not a visa from the consulate.

But UJ,

wasn't that already always the case, that your wife had to be present when doing an extension of stay (based on marriage) at immigration ? Or was it just that if you let an agent handle it, the wife didn't have to present and they stopped that now ?

Extension in LOS YES, Sav NO....

• Like 1

Thanks

No idea, but if you convert your current visa to a NON-O at CW you need your wife with you.

forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea why I'd want to do that? What advantages does converting it give me?

NewinPatts doesn't mean convert your visa. They mean apply for a 1 year extension of stay. An extension of stay stops the need to exit every 90 days.

• You definitely do not need your wife with you to apply for a Non 'O' visa from an embassy or consulate. No recent rule change.
  • You do need you wife with you if you ever want to apply for a 1 year or 60 day extension of stay based on marriage.
Edited by elviajero

Thanks

No

But UJ,

He was asking about getting a visa not an extension.

Perhaps the agent cannot get the extension now without the applicant and his wife being present for the application.

Going to immigration for the annual extension of stay has always required the wife to accompany her husband , at least in the last 9 years .

There have to be at least three photos of you and your wife at the house you live in . You have to have your wife's identity card , letter from head man , documents from Amphur .

Embassy permission to marry documents , verified and translated , Marriage certificate , many pages of passport .

Most important of all , let the wife do ALL the talking with immigration officers , keep your mouth shut , don't argue with the officers .

• Like 1

forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea why I'd want to do that? What advantages does converting it give me?

A big advantage.

You would no longer have to leave the country every 90 days plus you save a lot of money.

Sorry, but I don't see the big advantage! All the trouble you have to go thru for a 1 year extention. You can better do a visa run every 90 days, for me that is also cheaper. Only get the multiple entry non imigrant-O (marriage visa) and you never have to go to an immigration office, or have to take your wife!

• Like 1

A big advantage.

You would no longer have to leave the country every 90 days plus you save a lot of money.

Sorry, but I don't see the big advantage! All the trouble you have to go thru for a 1 year extention. You can better do a visa run every 90 days, for me that is also cheaper. Only get the multiple entry non imigrant-O (marriage visa) and you never have to go to an immigration office, or have to take your wife!

Coheaper ?

1. An "extension of stay " costs 1900 Bht. and is valid for 12 months.

2. A multi entry "O" visa costs 5000 Bht plus all the associated travel and accommodation costs.

Explain please how option two is "cheaper " .

Of course it is possible that I am wrong. I live close to the border and and my travel costs are 140 Bht, so I not have any accomodation costs, because I am back home in 3 hours.

Before you can get a 1 year extention you need a single entry non immigrant-O (marriage visa), costs 2000 Bht?

Is the 90 day reporting free? I really don't know, but I thought it costs 1900 Bht each time.

One or 2 times in a year I like to go home to visit family and friends and I not have to buy a re-entry permit.

So if it is not much coheaper it doesn't make much difference. Only not have all the trouble from an immigrtation office. Not need any funds on a Thai account. Nobody asks me for a TM30, or TM28 form etc...