Street Bars Shut Down

Beavis and Butthead

The police came Friday and Saturday to shut down all alchohol sales in street bars (Sukhumvit). Then Sunday night the street bars didn't bother showing up! I walked the Sukhumvit strip from Soi 15 to Soi 7 and it was a very deserted walk as Soi 13 was empty all the way down to soi 7. The only thing being sold were food and soft drinks. I did find a lady who sells food pouring the beer into glasses so we stopped for a pop. Within 15 minutes the lady swiped our glasses and replaced with soda and water as some officers arrived. This lady was the only food vendor who dared to sell beer even in glasses. As I said, bars didn't show up! The lady told me that the army shut it down and not the police. Anyhow, this is a pretty significant development.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The police came Friday and Saturday to shut down all alchohol sales in street bars (Sukhumvit). Then Sunday night the street bars didn't bother showing up! I walked the Sukhumvit strip from Soi 15 to Soi 7 and it was a very deserted walk as Soi 13 was empty all the way down to soi 7. The only thing being sold were food and soft drinks. I did find a lady who sells food pouring the beer into glasses so we stopped for a pop. Within 15 minutes the lady swiped our glasses and replaced with soda and water as some officers arrived. This lady was the only food vendor who dared to sell beer even in glasses. As I said, bars didn't show up! The lady told me that the army shut it down and not the police. Anyhow, this is a pretty significant development.

May relate to the big holy day last Sat :o

i walked across Asoke at around 4.30am on Saturday night and the street bars were still busy, i also noticed however that they werent there last night at about 8pm, maybe they have taken Sunday off instead of Mondays!!

I hope this is not a sign of things to come :o

I hope it is.

Biggest <deleted> eye sore slum; move the bars somewhere else and convert that area into a non slum business = much more pleasant on the eyes.

At least Nana Plaza is off the main street even if the pox spilling out from that area can still be seen as one drives past in one's hiso chariot, sipping champagne.

No loss.

The scum who own those street bars have been ripping off farang for years. I wish I had a refund for the money they've overcharged me. Straight in your face rip offs as though they had the right.

Good riddance.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come :o

I hope it is.

Biggest <deleted> eye sore slum; move the bars somewhere else and convert that area into a non slum business = much more pleasant on the eyes.

At least Nana Plaza is off the main street even if the pox spilling out from that area can still be seen as one drives past in one's hiso chariot, sipping champagne.

That's a real shocker coming from YOU. You have become quite an idol of mine after reading your wonderful posts on the visa situation. Thailand would be paradise if they kicked everyone out except for people like yourself. I'd like to put you in charge. You are my hero. On a sad note however, I dont think your dream of eradication will come true

Edited by Beavis and Butthead

No loss.

The scum who own those street bars have been ripping off farang for years. I wish I had a refund for the money they've overcharged me. Straight in your face rip offs as though they had the right.

Good riddance.

Yes this is very true about some of them for sure. However there are some very good ones that take care of you

Probably to do with avoiding large gatherings on the street, as per the new temporary ruling. On Khao San Road on Friday night they sent a police car down the road ordering everyone off the street, seems like they just want to keep the streets clear after dark.

Conversely, many bars seem to be opening later these days, and not just the usual after hours options but regular bars which normally adhere to the early closing hours.

If this is a sign that under the new government soon all the laws will be enforced and corrupt police officers will no longer be allowed to take bribes to allow illegal businesses.........then I'm all for it.

Seems like the general consensus at TV is that it was good that Toxin was given the boot because he was so corrupt........wellllllll.......if you want Toxin out because you are against corruption then ok....let's end corruption...enforce the laws...change the bad laws but in the mean time enforce the laws as they are written....let's all root for an end to corruption and applaud this first move towards a better, corruption free life in Thailand!!!!

Chownah

About time they closed these street bars that were somehow obviously profiting Thaksin supporters. For someone so strict on stopping clubs and bars operating and serving late, it seems amazing that such in your face street stalls could continue to operate.

Hopefully the next thing we see is tax paying venues being allowed to open until the early hours. Keeping the riff raff off the streets and the taxes where they should be.

Sound logical to me

We were told the government were kicking the aliens who work and do not pay taxes.

Anyone here who think those bars pay taxes?

I think , my 2 cents, it can be better if they get ride of those encrochers, and on the same time be more flexible for the legal bars. I wish, but it's a wish, they do the same for any encrochers who are on the streets (DVD, VCD , .... sex .....) you know what I mean I do suppose.

Well, in fact the question is trully simple : does thailand have to stay what it was during the Vietnam war, mean a gigantic R&R show/place; or does thailand and thai people deserve to enter in the XXI century with honor (read without the usual labels of prostitution/acoholism/drugs/cheating/ non respect of laws ....)?

I have an answer, but it's personal. I do hope you have also an answer to that question. The problem is not where you can drink an heinie, but will you drink it for a fair price, in a good place, near of your place or near of your walk, without hassle, and without weird pricing. Choose your side, if I may say so!

That's a real shocker coming from YOU. You have become quite an idol of mine after reading your wonderful posts on the visa situation. Thailand would be paradise if they kicked everyone out except for people like yourself. I'd like to put you in charge. You are my hero. On a sad note however, I dont think your dream of eradication will come true

Well, much as i am flattered, I cannot help but tell it as i see it.

And those beer bars are a <deleted> eye sore. My boss here used to live in that area and moved to get away from it. I think you underestimate the power of some of the other people living in that area. They were able to close down MOS, and I think you'll find a reduction in the skin display currently available in that part of BKK. The nicer places will stay (like say some of the pool places) but the real dives are probably on the way out.

I am all for giving people places to drink. I am also all for letting people skateboard. I am also all for letting people race traithalonsa and cars. I am all for giving people places to throw up and score hos. I am all for letting people even listen to mind numbing trance music. I am even all for people doing charity work.

But I don't think that letting people do all of these activities in one single place would be a wise use of space.

Therefore,in teh same vein of thought I don't think allowing people to drink beer on a major road with fumes and whatever, and also allowing non sex tourists/alcoholics/students to watch said beer consumption from dawn till dusk is the best use of this retail space.

I realise an idea such as this may seem very very controversial, but being that I am a not into eradication but rather some sense in laying out where things are located, I am sure we can reach some compromise.

Sting01; your words reek of wisdom and sense.

As for your comment regarding kicking everyone else out who isn't similar to my good self; well as I am sure you are aware a country made up entirely of a$$holes would not be a good thing; so I am happy to let in a few studs in to help 'widen the gene pool' so to speak. :o

:D Best of luck with your visa issues, I am sure it will sort itself out; I wasn't aware what I said was particularly controversial, however I stand corrected and retract what I said if anything I said hit a nerve or two.

Edited by steveromagnino

Some of the best times are had in those outdoor street bars

What are you trying to do depress me.

:o

depession for you or not, those places are wildly popular with locals and tourists alike

Yeah cos the other option was going home. When there is no where else to get a drink at 1:05 am what are you to do.

I've spent a few nights there, and depressing is what i'd call it, hot dirty crowded streets are not where I would have a drink if I had any choice to get one elsewhere.

I think the vast majority of people would rather get a drink in a hotel bar, a go go bar, Q bar, Karaoke bar or any bar for that matter.

It's interesting that they were told to close by the military and not the police. It's no secret that a huge number of entertainment venues are owned by the military. By closing those early and allowing street bars maybe that was channeling money that used to go to the military towards the police?

I'd be very surprised if we don't see entertainment establishments opening later before too long, I think the canceling of closures on Birthdays is the first of many changes we will see in this area of law.

If this is a sign that under the new government soon all the laws will be enforced and corrupt police officers will no longer be allowed to take bribes to allow illegal businesses.........then I'm all for it.

Seems like the general consensus at TV is that it was good that Toxin was given the boot because he was so corrupt........wellllllll.......if you want Toxin out because you are against corruption then ok....let's end corruption...enforce the laws...change the bad laws but in the mean time enforce the laws as they are written....let's all root for an end to corruption and applaud this first move towards a better, corruption free life in Thailand!!!!

Chownah

You make an excellent point here.

Most expats in Thailand are very selective about the types of corruption they want to see erradicated. Happy to pay 200 baht to be alowed to drive drunk, happy to drink all night in back street dens operated by the Police etc. Then somehow get all moral and jump on the anti thaksin bandwagon.

For me, I always love the hustle and bustle of Bangkok life, day and night. For those that hate Sukhimvit Road at night or in the early hours, it really is easy to avoid so give it a rest you complainers.

Edited by Steph1012

Chownah

You make an excellent point here.

Most expats in Thailand are very selective about the types of corruption they want to see erradicated. Happy to pay 200 baht to be alowed to drive drunk, happy to drink all night in back street dens operated by the Police etc. Then somehow get all moral and jump on the anti thaksin bandwagon.

For me, I always love the hustle and bustle of Bangkok life, day and night. For those that hate Sukhimvit Road at night or in the early hours, it really is easy to avoid so give it a rest you complainers.

I agree but.....

There is a very big difference to a policeman who recieves 5000 baht a month salary and taking a 200 baht bribe to a Prime Minister who facilitates and implements methods to skim off a large percentage of the countries GDP to enrich himself and his cronies.

Really anyone who cares about this country and it's people should be against having leaders such as Thaksin.

I'll bring this back on topic and say Thaksin has proved that he wasn't bothered about people drinking late as the street stalls were allowed to carry on unhindered in the most obvious palce possible where as bars and clubs tucked away were harrased on a regular basis making operation at the same times as the stalls impossible.

The double standards created by the Thaksin government were quite disgusting. :o

The double standards created by the Thaksin government were quite disgusting

The double standards created by the Thaksin government were not created by Thaksin, they are part and parcel of Thai culture.

And I would add, a part that foriegners moving to Thailand are often very happy to adopt...... When the system works in their favour.

:o

With you serving the champagne, I presume? :D

The double standards created by the Thaksin government were quite disgusting

The double standards created by the Thaksin government were not created by Thaksin, they are part and parcel of Thai culture.

And I would add, a part that foriegners moving to Thailand are often very happy to adopt...... When the system works in their favour.

Double standards are not specific to Thailand, however it is my belief that the previous government took it to a level beyond what it had been before in recent years. Granted Thailand has lots of dark periods where those incharge overstepped their mandate and abused the peoples trust.

Hopefully the present government will try to make things a bit fairer for all Thai's rich or poor.

Whilst I agree with the closing of the street bars, let's not forget what we like about Asia. The fact that it's a little arough around the edges, it's not laden with rules and regulations that are enforced to the letter and it has a nice lack of political correctness.

So be careful in calling for too many laws, rules and regulations. We wouldn't want this place ending up like Farangland, would we.

Sound logical to me

We were told the government were kicking the aliens who work and do not pay taxes.

Anyone here who think those bars pay taxes?

I think , my 2 cents, it can be better if they get ride of those encrochers, and on the same time be more flexible for the legal bars. I wish, but it's a wish, they do the same for any encrochers who are on the streets (DVD, VCD , .... sex .....) you know what I mean I do suppose.

Well, in fact the question is trully simple : does thailand have to stay what it was during the Vietnam war, mean a gigantic R&R show/place; or does thailand and thai people deserve to enter in the XXI century with honor (read without the usual labels of prostitution/acoholism/drugs/cheating/ non respect of laws ....)?

I have an answer, but it's personal. I do hope you have also an answer to that question. The problem is not where you can drink an heinie, but will you drink it for a fair price, in a good place, near of your place or near of your walk, without hassle, and without weird pricing. Choose your side, if I may say so!

No i want it to stay what it was in the past , corrupt , illegal , shady , seedy, ....perfect !!