Street Bars Shut Down

Beavis and Butthead

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuss that people make about the bars , girls , etc etc in Thailand always amazes me . It should be like it was in years gone by, ..bars and sex everywhere if you want to find it , totally unregulated.

For the puritans (and they are many ) if you don't want to find it , then don't look. But why you have to try to impose your puritan views on everyone elses lives is , and always has been , beyond me . Whats wrong with a free-for-all ? If you had Bangkok as THE unregulated sex capital of the world , christ you wouldn't be able to get into the city cos the rest of the world would already be stampeding there. Talk about good for Thailands coffers.

For all those here , and some of those here can be the most boring, puritanical people you could ever hope not to meet, who don't approve , well nothings stopping you going to bed at 10pm with your Horlicks and a copy of the Bangkok Post . But stop expecting/demanding others do the same. Some of us are still alive.

Not for long if you are going at it the rate most punters do. :o

The fuss that people make about the bars , girls , etc etc in Thailand always amazes me . It should be like it was in years gone by, ..bars and sex everywhere if you want to find it , totally unregulated.

For the puritans (and they are many ) if you don't want to find it , then don't look. But why you have to try to impose your puritan views on everyone elses lives is , and always has been , beyond me . Whats wrong with a free-for-all ? If you had Bangkok as THE unregulated sex capital of the world , christ you wouldn't be able to get into the city cos the rest of the world would already be stampeding there. Talk about good for Thailands coffers.

For all those here , and some of those here can be the most boring, puritanical people you could ever hope not to meet, who don't approve , well nothings stopping you going to bed at 10pm with your Horlicks and a copy of the Bangkok Post . But stop expecting/demanding others do the same. Some of us are still alive.

Not for long if you are going at it the rate most punters do. :o

Well about 30 years and still going strong.. which is a lot longer than the 20 something year old footballers who seem to be daily dropping dead during a game. Barely a day passes without someone in the sporting field dying before their time . Seems to me that sex is better for your health than sport!!

The thought of closing the bars rumors 2007 and so on. I would not think it will happen. This has been talked about before and if Thailand want to change its image pushing the nightlife onto the streets has a much more negative effect than having a few spots tucked away from sight. Don’t forget the sex trade exists to allow the people in Isaan to have some sort of life. The girls in the bar get checked for STD, the ones on the street it is up to them. The repercussions are endless if they close it down. I had the chance to view a non published Thesis that covers all of this. Even that it missed some elements like how corruption plays a part in keeping the nightlife going, it was an excellent thesis.

bangkok myth.

should read:

The girls in the bar get checked for STD every 6-8 months if ever.

next time you buy a health certificate at some shoddy little clinic for 5oo baht of less, think about how hard it would be for a girl to get a clean bill of health

I dissagree... Every bar owner I know on cowboy requires the girls to get checked at a hospital (not a clinic) every month before they get paid.

The ones to be carful of are the girls working at these "streetside" bars, as they are not getting regular STD checks, and come and go as they please.

fair enough i suppose, but forgive me if remain a skeptic.

Why do Thais then insist on eating in the street amidst all the noise and exhaust fumes?

Because it's cheaper maybe? And more convenient? And because some of the street food vendors serve some very good food, especially for the price.

So why not license those who serve good food ? Maybe with less competition these guys can go "legit". Apparently there's a need for SOME of this service.

........ have a beer on the sidewalk surrounded by tons of filthy hookers?

mmmm....let me just hold that thought :o

Hold it along as much as you like, my opinion is still the same and won't change, at least not in this life...