Car Tax: Excise Department expects to earn 7-8 billion baht more tax next year

snoop1130

Car Tax: Excise Department expects to earn 7-8 billion baht more tax next year

By: Thai PBS

63-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK -- The Excise Department is expected to gain an addition of 7-8 billion baht in excise tax next year when the new car tax which is computed on the basis of the rate of carbon dioxide instead of the size of the engine comes into force as of January 1.

Excise Department chief Somchai Poonsawat explained Thursday that cars which emit more Co2 such as pickup trucks, PPVs and sedans with 1800 cc engine size and upward would face more taxes.

The department and the Industry Ministry will hold a press conference on December 9 to explain the new car tax structure and the amount of excise tax to be charged on each type of cars so potential buyers will be informed and can make their car choices.

Mr Somchai said the department has set a target to collect 490 billion baht in excise tax next year against this years target of 430 billion baht.

He is confident that the target will be met due to the increased car tax and the other taxes such as cigarette, oil, liquor and drinks.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/excise-department-expects-to-earn-7-8-billion-baht-more-tax-next-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-12-03

I was told by my local Nissan dealer in Chiangmai while I was looking to buy a new Nissan Navara NP300 that if I waited until the new year to buy my new pickup due to the up and coming changes to the vehicle tax it would probably cost me 75,000 Baht more for the same vehicle.

I was told by my local Nissan dealer in Chiangmai while I was looking to buy a new Nissan Navara NP300 that if I waited until the new year to buy my new pickup due to the up and coming changes to the vehicle tax it would probably cost me 75,000 Baht more for the same vehicle.

They are starting to unwind all the tax benefits they gave the Japanese manufacturers who wanted to make cheap pick ups.

All those diesels chuffing out extra pollution getting preferential taxes versus small city and town cars. Absolutely crazy, but Toyota and the others loved it.

I don't think they will get their 7-8 billion from the cartax.

Every smart person will buy the new car this year so next year there will be a big dip in pickup sales.

There are far too many pickups in Bangkok, it's time they start promoting mini-cars or other vehicles. Solar powered boats or cars would be nice or amphibious vehicles.

We also need more transport tuktuk's then nobody needs a big car anymore.

Seems to me they are trying to milk more money from the people who took advantage of the car scheme 2years ago. What I can't understand is why they don't first try to make EVERYONE and EVERY business pay their taxes. They could raise a lot more than they do now if they collected all the taxes due to them from the small businesses.

A government that considers the increase of taxes as a solution to funding projects to get the economy moving is delusional.

Then again, they are used to commissions, backhanders, and taxing by way of brown paper bags to fund their lifestyle and status.

Same, same!

Seems to me they are trying to milk more money from the people who took advantage of the car scheme 2years ago. What I can't understand is why they don't first try to make EVERYONE and EVERY business pay their taxes. They could raise a lot more than they do now if they collected all the taxes due to them from the small businesses.

Police already collect that.... ;)

This is a sales tax, nothing to do with cars already bought.

This is a sales tax, nothing to do with cars already bought.

It is an excise tax that is imposed in addition to the sales (VAT) tax where applicable. Sales tax is based on purchase price while excise tax is based on some feature such as engine size, age, emissions, propulsion system, etc. This particular excise tax could be applied to all existing vehicles, ie., at time of license renewal, but it appears (for now?) the government will only apply it to new car purchases. Generally sales taxes go into the government's treasury while excise taxes are usually collected for specific purposes, ie., new highway infrastructure.