More advice for novice rider.

malt25

What about a Kawasaki GTO?

In my opinion the ideal bike for pottering around in Thailand.

The PCX is a good vehicle, but for me boring to drive, sorry.

What you could consider:

- Tiger Boxer 200

- Keeway Chopper and naked bike

- Honda Phantom 250

- Stallion Cafe 150

- Suzuki GD 110

It's out of your preferred Ccm range, but the next bike for me is the Yamaha SR400. Great classic [emoji4] [emoji41]

I was at the bike show in Rayong last week. I really liked the Honda 500 it was priced at 220k.....Im thinking about buying one. It fit well and the price is right. Couple guys there with me are long time riders and both agreed it was a nice bike to take trips on.

Yes the CB500X is nice. I sat on it at the dealership, and was just about comfortable with my toes/feet touching, and I am ~166cm or 5'6".

A slight lowering of the seat can be done at the dealership, and suspension also, to make it more comfortable at a stop and slow speeds for us "shorter" riders.

I'm soooo thrilled you you really like the Honda 500. Is this, Honda 500, in any way relevant to an Exciter 175 ?

It would appear your stature isn't the only thing that's shorter.

Guys... advice on something in the 125.... 250 range is what I'm on about.

I really DO appreciate the sensible replies.

Thanks..... Mal.

Pretty rude reply to those attempting to be helpful.

If you want something for long trips that's easy to ride with plenty of storage consider the Honda Forza. Pulls away from cars easy and will get you out of trouble. Easy in busy traffic and comfy enough for two.

I have some Great Advice for you, Get Life Insurance for your love ones, I live on Prachachuen & every single night a bike goes down, and people speed on this road, so the out come is never good. I rode a bike for 30 years in the US, 1000 BMW. Original owner, sold it when I moved here. Riding here means Death, only question is when, craziest drivers in the world are in Thailand, think about what your life is worth to you & your family before you decide to ride in Thailand. Good Luck.

What a negative report! How many people that you actually know have died on a motorbike here? (I mean friends, not somebody you know in passing). Any?

Nobody dies in motorbike accidents in America?

I met some guys from America at the reservoir at Thong Pha Phum in Kanchanaburi last week. Nice guys who had ridden from Pattaya and Udon on a trip. They told me the roads here were safer, and better to ride.

Death comes to us all, if you wish to wrap yourself up in cotton wool and never do anything, fine. But riding in this country is great fun, although of course as everywhere you must be careful and observant.

A hurricane (CBR) for a 67 year old? You guys have got to be joking. Those bikes are for racing. I am 43 years old and have been riding for the last 30 years. I just got rid of my Ninja in the States for a Yamaha 1100 cruiser. Sports bikes are for young guys. They are hard on your back and your legs. I am talking about 20km of riding and ready to give up and rather walk kind of hard. At this age I want to sit back and relax, not have all kinds of cramps and aches from bending over. In Pattaya I have a simple Suzuki 125. There is no reason to have a lot of speed and power in a traffic-filled city. Plus because the bike is smaller, I am able to easily go around stopped traffic. If I was rich and had to do much highway driving like the OP stated, then I would go for the Honda PCX 150. Although super comfortable, I am not sure that bike would be as agile as the one I have now.

I have both a Honda PCX 150 and a 650 Versys. The PCX can do everything you want if you don't mind the speed limitations.

Last year i rode 10k on one trip, saddlebags, a topbox and off you go. Can't beat it. :)

Mornin all, again.

It appears I have upset, offended some on here. Sincere apologies if that's the case..

In my defence.

1. I kinda thought if I was inquiring about a 150cc bike, it would be a given, that somewhere around that size would be what I was interested in.

2. Re the tuk tuk response & to "thrilled". I stated that I have obtained my license & have been riding now for some time. I'm not asking for advice IF I should ride in LOS, but what I should ride. But thanks for your concern.

3. Nick J likes the 500, great. But no info or advice on why it might be suitable for a 67 year old novus.

4. Moderator "seedy". I do take all responses in the spirit that they are offered. I apperciate all sensible & relevant replies. Nick J "comments" he likes the 500 & is considering buying one... No advice there. Others comment on how dangerous riding in LOS can be. The degree of danger / safety is subjective on a different topic.... not a suitable consideration for what bike might suit me.

Again I'm sorry if I have offended anyone, was never my intent. A sincere thanks to all relevant replies. You have given me much food for thought & will be spending considerable time researching the bikes suggested.

Cheers..... Mal.

I have some Great Advice for you, Get Life Insurance for your love ones, I live on Prachachuen & every single night a bike goes down, and people speed on this road, so the out come is never good. I rode a bike for 30 years in the US, 1000 BMW. Original owner, sold it when I moved here. Riding here means Death, only question is when, craziest drivers in the world are in Thailand, think about what your life is worth to you & your family before you decide to ride in Thailand. Good Luck.

There is always at least one spoilsport on TV about bikes. I have ridden here on a big bike for 9 years now accident free. I'm a bit younger at 51 than the op. If your road craft is good, Thailand is perfectly ok to ride in. You just have to be able to adapt. Certain people from certain places seem to have a problem with that.

I would recommend the yamaha 400 for a step up. Beautiful torque and stability at low revs and very good fun. When I have some spare cash, that will be my local runabout.

BTW. I'm off to chiang Mai for another glorious and fun run on the triumph. If I die, I'll let you know. Hasn't happened yet. Perhaps I'm too adaptable?

Been riding for 44 years, still do in UK (2 bikes) including 3 years London/national/international MC courier (lived on my bikes). Never been without MC since 16.

Meet spoilsport No2.

Edited by Enoon

How is your back and joints?

Lower back is a bit suspect. Both knees totally wornout. I still manage to cycle (bicycle) 30k a few times a week. I'd rather ride in a more upright position than leaning too far forward. If that's what you are asking about.

Thanks..... Mal.

How is your back and joints?

Lower back is a bit suspect. Both knees totally wornout. I still manage to cycle (bicycle) 30k a few times a week. I'd rather ride in a more upright position than leaning too far forward. If that's what you are asking about.

Thanks..... Mal.

Which is why I guess, some suggested the CB500X. Your back is straight with feet directly under your seat, its a nice seating position and also, you mention freeway riding, which gives you a bit of ummph to get away from the crowd at junctions and keep up / ahead of the pack ..

Take a look, These guys aren't too young either. Anyway, up to you, as they say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rs2GnsSKk0

The MSLAZ looks nice.

Edited by recom273

As a new rider, I think you should go with a transiphical "automatic" transmission.

You are about to learn how to ride in one of the most dangerous places to ride a motorbike. The last thing you need to be worried about is what gear you are in.

As a new rider, I think you should go with a transiphical "automatic" transmission.

You are about to learn how to ride in one of the most dangerous places to ride a motorbike. The last thing you need to be worried about is what gear you are in.

Well he isn't actually a new rider, he has been riding around on a Wave for quite a while, which means he can change gear, in the traffic too. Having to learn to use a clutch is no big deal, you can do it in an afternoon in a back street.... all except hill starts...cough, cough. That came as a shock to me on a raised railway crossing in the rush hour, but fixed it away from the traffic.

How tall are you and what build, that will make a difference, but in any case take no notice of the scaremongers, I have arthritis in one leg, do a bit of loosening up and try to ride everywhere. In some ways you are safer than the so called "pros", slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Your first proper bike, triffic, like being a kid again......

I hope people don't consider me an invalid retard when I get past 65 years old ..

Well he isn't actually a new rider, he has been riding around on a Wave for quite a while, which means he can change gear, in the traffic too. Having to learn to use a clutch is no big deal, you can do it in an afternoon in a back street.... all except hill starts...cough, cough. That came as a shock to me on a raised railway crossing in the rush hour, but fixed it away from the traffic.

How tall are you and what build, that will make a difference, but in any case take no notice of the scaremongers, I have arthritis in one leg, do a bit of loosening up and try to ride everywhere. In some ways you are safer than the so called "pros", slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Your first proper bike, triffic, like being a kid again......

Thanks Allan.

I'm 175cm & about 88kg.

Re my riding experience. About 30 or so years back I did a bit of what I call scrub bashing. A mate had cattle on some very heavily timbered & hilly country. I use to assist in looking for & rounding up strays. From memory I rode a 185cc, clutch manual off road bike. Don't recall the make. Mostly 1st & 2nd gear riding. Over small logs, thru running creeks & up & down very rocky & hilly terrain.

Didn't put my bum in a saddle again until late last year. Took the family Wave around the village a bit & soon after ventured onto the highway into town. I'm usually the first off from the lights. :-) Although 67 still a bit of a rev head. I'm comfortable on the highway & the traffic in town doesn't bother me. I do exercise caution in the town traffic.

Just before relocation from Oz 2 years ago, I sadly had to sell my TOY. A 6 cylinder Ford producing 320 RWKW... 429 RWBHP. That's about 500 HP at the flywheel. A reasonably potient street sleeper for an old bloke. So, at 67, there's still some life left in this oldie. Like they say, old ain't dead.

Thanks for your message. Lots of great advice offered. I'm doing lots of research.

Cheers..... Mal.