Where to buy string of pearls in CM & a what to look for, please

scorecard

DIL just mentioned she would like to have a string of pearls but not expensive.

Good, because I'm lost for a Christmas gift for her.

I know nothing whatever about pearls.

Any suggestions please where to buy in CM, and what should I look for in terms of quality for price etc.

Thanks.

I can highly recommend Khun Fon at Sea and Hill Pearls. She and the ladies who work with her are experts. She is as honest as the day is long. You can negotiate with them... The main branch is on the 2nd Floor of the Domestic Terminal at C.M. Airport. But they have recently opened a branch in Central Festival too. I forget what Floor it is on but it's right next to Central at the back of the mall.

http://www.seaandhillpearls.com/index.asp

I clicked on this thread thinking 'I wonder how long before someone makes the obvious puerile comment'.

I was disappointed that it did not mention the number of foreign men who "came" to Thailand, in order to be able to give such presents in profusion and at a very reasonable price.

But I "liked" it anyway.

There are a lot of Chinese "River Pearls" about,these are not like

the sea pearls,they are an irregular shape,not perfectly round,but

they are pearly ,look quite nice ,and prices are reasonable.

regards worgeordie

Natural pearls are more uneven, mishapen, have surface irregularities and colour variations. Cultured pearls are much more uniform in every way. You can tell a real pearl by rubbing across your teeth, it will feel 'gritty'. A smooth feel indicates a likely fake. Natural pearls are the more expensive

I can highly recommend Khun Fon at Sea and Hill Pearls. She and the ladies who work with her are experts. She is as honest as the day is long. You can negotiate with them... The main branch is on the 2nd Floor of the Domestic Terminal at C.M. Airport. But they have recently opened a branch in Central Festival too. I forget what Floor it is on but it's right next to Central at the back of the mall.

http://www.seaandhillpearls.com/index.asp

Thanks for the link, one of their products is the necklace I'm looking for. I have to go to the airport tomorrow so I'll take a look.

Thanks again.

Thanks, learning all the time.

Any suggestions, please, about price for ladies pearl necklace?

You can get them at whatever price you want. I think the cheapest I have bought was around 1,000 baht (freshwater pearls) and the most expensive was around 50-60,000 baht (after discount), this was akoya pearls with a diameter slightly less than 8mm and in a very nice greenish color.

I would say for freshwater pearls you should probably expect 5-10,000 baht for a nice necklace and for seawater pearls it should be possible to find a nice one for 10-15,000 baht, but prices really go up to millions of baht and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As a rule of thumb, you pay for the luster, the size (diameter), and the perfectness of the shape.

I suggest you decide on a budget, go to a store, and ask them what they have in that price range. Then ask to see some more expensive pearls and compare. But go to more than one store before you buy (given that you have no experience with assessing the value of pearls).

And don’t forget to ask about a discount, although your chances of getting a good deal is much better in Phuket where they actually cultivate pearls. If you’re looking for an expensive necklace, then it might be worth taking a trip down there. I can recommend a few stores that I have good experiences with, if you’re interested.

The place I referred him to is a Phuket based company with a store in C.M. for many years.

I agree - for the most part - on everything else you said.

Thank to all for the further comments, knowledge and advice.

I noticed on the site suggested a string of freshwater pearls, looks about the right overall length, 7,900Baht.

But of course the photo doesn't really give a good indication of the diameter of the pearls, the lustre etc.

Next step - I have to go to CM airport on Tuesday morning so I'll visit the shop to see first hand.

Thanks again.

The place I referred him to is a Phuket based company with a store in C.M. for many years.

I noticed on the site suggested a string of freshwater pearls, looks about the right overall length, 7,900Baht.

But of course the photo doesn't really give a good indication of the diameter of the pearls, the lustre etc.

Next step - I have to go to CM airport on Tuesday morning so I'll visit the shop to see first hand.

Thanks again.

Airport shop had just what I wanted, good discount, all done, thanks again for the guidance.

Thanks again.

Airport shop had just what I wanted, good discount, all done, thanks again for the guidance.

Glad it all worked out....

Archived