Non-O visa application declined in Kuala Lumpur

I went to the Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur this week to get a non-O visa that I could use to get an extension of stay based on retirement at immigration in Thailand.

They declined my application with the reason that I did not have a residence permit in Malaysia.

I tried to explain that I was not applying for a multiple entry non-OA long stay visa, but just a normal single entry 3 months non-O. But the answer was the same: "Must have residence permit in Malaysia."

I know the horse has bolted, but always good to get advice on here, before rather than after.

could you not get the non 'o' in Thailand by way of a conversion

Yes, I could if I had a Thai bank account, which has proved quite difficult to get with a tourist visa. So, since I'm staying in Hat Yai, I thought that a short, cheap flight to Kuala Lumpur would be the easiest solution to that problem.

Edited by nrasmussen

Last year, in KL, I got a non-O guardian visa for those under 50 with kids in school without any problem. Is it just the first time Non-O retirement visa for those over 50 that is strict or have they clamped down on all Non-O's there? I know a friend of mine just left for Christmas holidays in Europe with his family and has booked a return trip stopping off in KL for a few days upon his return to LOS specifically to get a Non-O guardian visa.

Last year, in KL, I got a non-O guardian visa for those under 50 with kids in school without any problem. Is it just the first time Non-O retirement visa for those over 50 that is strict or have they clamped down on all Non-O's there? I know a friend of mine just left for Christmas holidays in Europe with his family and has booked a return trip stopping off in KL for a few days upon his return to LOS specifically to get a Non-O guardian visa.

It seems to be only for those getting a non-o visa for being over 50.

There is no guardian visa. It is a non-o visa based upon being the parent of a child attending school. I don't think there will a problem getting one in KL Why is he not getting it while in Europe.

Since this topic is about non immigrant o visa I have a question? I applied for a change of visa from a tourist to a non immigrant o visa for retirement. The immigration office in Chiang Mai (one by the airport) they were very nice btw! I received a receipt stapled in my passport that says I have to return in 3 weeks and it's "under consideration"? What's under consideration? I had all the documents that were required???

Edited by Kijoisa

Since this topic is about non immigrant o visa I have a question? I applied for a change of visa from a tourist to a non immigrant o visa for retirement. The immigration office in Chiang Mai (one by the airport) they were very nice btw! I received a receipt stapled in my passport that says I have to return in 3 weeks and it's "under consideration"? What's under consideration? I had all the documents that were required???

Possibly head officer was not on duty, don't sweat it.

You are now awating approval of the application by immigration in Bangkok. They are the only office that can do it.

What would keep me from being approved? Just curious since I met all the requirements. Or is this just a formality that someone has to sign off on it?

Thanks!

Edited by Kijoisa

What would keep me from being approved? Just curious since I met all the requirements. Or is this just a formality that someone has to sign off on it?

Thanks!

If the application was accepted and forwarded to Bangkok it is 99.9999% certain of being approved.

As already said the approval of "conversions" has been centralised in Bangkok .

• Like 1

I know the horse has bolted, but always good to get advice on here, before rather than after.

could you not get the non 'o' in Thailand by way of a conversion

Yes, I could if I had a Thai bank account, which has proved quite difficult to get with a tourist visa. So, since I'm staying in Hat Yai, I thought that a short, cheap flight to Kuala Lumpur would be the easiest solution to that problem.
Just some info, i managed to open an account with Kasikorn Bank with a 30 day visa exempt at the sadao border branch .....its the only kasikorn branch there.....5 minite from the immigration check in
  • Like 2