Walking Street & Khaosan Road believed to be targets of ISIS in Thailand

webfact

Walking Street & Khaosan Road believed to be targets of ISIS in Thailand

ks.jpg
File photo: Khaosan Road

BANGKOK: More information has come to light regarding an apparent ISIS plot to target Russian and other western tourists in Thailand.

The plot, which was revealed in a leaked memo obtained by Khaosod English, was marked as “Secret” and allegedly issued by the intelligence unit of the Royal Thai Police Special Branch.

The memo claims to cite information obtained by the Russia’s Federal Security Service or FSB.

A source from Thailand’s Tourist Police who spoke to Thaivisa.com on the condition of anonymity revealed how senior officers were told of possible plots to target foreign tourists in Thailand.

The source told Thaivisa that a briefing was held early on Thursday, prior to the leaking of a memo to the press.

During the briefing, officers were told of plots to target foreign tourists in Bangkok’s Khao San Road, as well as on Walking Street in Pattaya.

Senior officers were told how security will be increased at major locations across the country and that Immigration will be stepping up the screening of foreigners at all border checkpoints, something which has been officially announced earlier this afternoon.

On Friday police were urging members of the public to remain calm over the alleged terrorist threat.

Metropolitan police commissioner Pol Lt Gen Sanit Mahatavorn said on Friday it was still unclear if the leaked memo was genuine and said that a forged document of this kind could have been made public in order to try and incite public disorder and harm the Thai economy.

tvn.png
-- 2015-12-04

RELATED: Authorities aware of Islamic State terrorist arrivals in Phuket since October

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, just a matter of time, so many other very busy targets that could be hit too and you only have to look at how the cops handled the last incident here eg giving themselves the reward a week after one person was caught etc. The difference between the Paris incident and here and how the police handled it was like night and day

So...the "intelligence" of the RTP (there is a contradiction in terms, if I have ever seen one) says, a terrorist attack might actually hit strongly populated areas with big numbers of people!

Who would've thunk!?

Uhmm not convinced by this leaked document. It says terrorists entered between 15 and 30 October to target Russians to retailate bombings. But at that time Russia wasn't still bombing? And if it was already doing was just the starting (sorry no time to check it right now). So quick planning and organization? And then why stay months waiting silent, maybe in overstay as well?

I would opt more for a destabilizating move

I'm taking this one with a pinch of salt. I find it hard to believe that ISIS gives half a toss about Thailand.

Hope ur right , but don't forget that they not only target Russians .

Thailand is easy for them to attack multiple nationalities in tourist area's .

UK , Belgium , France , Netherlands , Australians , German , Denmark .

Many bars and restaurants are owned by people from these country's .

If they do so this will have a major impact all over the world .

Thailand is an easy target and a perfect hide out for ISIS .

I'm taking this one with a pinch of salt. I find it hard to believe that ISIS gives half a toss about Thailand.

They don't care about Thailand. They only care about killing people who are fighting them in the Middle East. Which is NATO countries,Russia,

etc. Most Western countries

ISIS are not stupid. Having disclosed Walking Street and Khaosan Road as the likely targets, you can be sure that they will now direct their plans (if such plans exist) to other locations.

Neither location is particularly popular with the Russians. There are far better alternatives.

Uhmm not convinced by this leaked document. It says terrorists entered between 15 and 30 October to target Russians to retailate bombings. But at that time Russia wasn't still bombing? And if it was already doing was just the starting (sorry no time to check it right now). So quick planning and organization? And then why stay months waiting silent, maybe in overstay as well?

If they are suicide bombers; do you think they would care about the overstay ?

They don't care about Thailand. They only care about killing people who are fighting them in the Middle East. Which is NATO countries,Russia,

etc. Most Western countries

But Thailand is considered an easy target, and is full of Russians and other westerners (Including Americans) and Aussies. Why make life difficult for themselves?

Wow the bingo players who run bars and gogos will be working overtime on other forums to assure people that its all just an unsubstantiated rumour.

I think walking street is too obvious a target….i think it will be based on the Paris model…sowing chaos at multiple targets.

Pretty soon the cops will probably increase their presence at soi marine, lots more surveillance at the M.Eastern bars and shisha shops.

Russia has been bombing ISIS since Sep 30, I think.

The fact is that Islamists kill hundreds in Thailand EVERY year and that's without these ISIL animals. I understand that the RTP are saying that the bombs in Bangkok were the work of Chinese Muslims but again the fact is that ANY Muslim is capable

of any one of these atrocities.

Open your eyes and look around the world there are far too many places off limits. OK Mexico has drug dealers but the rest of the world is dangerous because of Islam. You may say the Islamists are few in number but 1% is 15 million, all desparate

to visit Allah.

When is Islam going to say that Islamists will never reach "heaven" and will spend eternity in hell. If they are justified by the Qur-an in killing anyone not of their faith and treating women like cattle then we are getting close to all out conflict.

AND ISIL will kill and maim anywhere in the world. The EU are in the process of letting thousands into Europe, there WILL be a few more Paris style attacks before they wake up.

It is said, actually well known, Islamic terror attacks are only possible with the help of local sympathysers.

Of course, as Thai do not do things like that, it must be foreign help.

And there lies the problem for stopping or solving those vile deeds.

Huh? What? Wait... were we just not told that there is NO IS threat in Thailand?

Oh well, no worries, as I avoid both Walking Street and Khao San Road like the plague.

My guess is that places like Patong, Nana and Soi Cowlboy will also be prime targets.

Archived