indian restaurant bangkok, where are the real cheap Indian restaurants? No tourist spot please!

thailanddogerator

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget the name, But one of my favorite places was on soi 23 continuing down the soi past Cowboy on the right about 100 m. maybe it was called Indian Kitchen. great food and cheap.Could be long gone. but worth checking out. I have eaten at most of them along Sukhumvit. some are over the top in price others not so much.

Oh wise and “one with the locals” Thailanddogerator. I am sorry my recommendations do not meet your high standards for authenticity and true grit. You must forgive me as I have only been here for 11 years, and India for two. I supposed I misjudged your oneness with the authentic Indian experience. Such places, located near a BTS station cannot be good by definition of ease of access and nearness to tourist locations. Despite there is a huge Thai-Indian community located around Sukhumvit and tonight I was the only non-Indian customer in Dosa King (which was almost full), it seems to be a fav of the local Indian ex-pat community, but you know better. Also, despite the fact that Indian staff that worked for me in the past would go there almost every night because they disliked Thai food and wanted something that tasted like home, but again you know better. Also despite the fact that Dosa King opened in 2002, a 13 year run must be due to dumb tourists and not good food. Your standards for food are higher than I am able to accommodate with my lowly recommendations, for this, I sincerely apologize and hope you discover the place you are looking for. Perhaps a local dhobi wallah will let you know a more appropriate place.

You mentioned that you didn’t want places that were “tourist hotspots” because you have a brain, it is a pity you do not also have a tongue.

You may now return to nursing your King Fisher knowing you have successfully avoided another “tourist trap” and keeping your Indian cred intact for another day.

Edited by doccalamity

Indian restaurants are concentrated in two areas - downtown Sukhumvit, where you can expect to pay tourist prices for modest portions of variable-quality food, and areas such as Phahurat and Chakraphet, Indian merchant areas located at the far end of Yaowarat in Chinatown. These latter areas are more modestly priced and more casual, cafe-style places, but your problem, unless you are staying around KSR, is access; they are served only by local buses or taxi/tuktuk, and traffic can be a nightmare. Best of the bunch in my opinion is Royal India, long-established, supplies Indian sweets to hotels too, but it can be a bitch to find. Google it or find in Lonely Planet.

There is good reason why Indian restaurants are not more widespread throughout the city: I would hazard that 95% of Thais will not even venture to try Indian food; the nearest they get to foreign is pasta or pizza. More fool them!

There used to be an Indian canteen or two near the old GPO on New Road. Haven't been there for years so no idea if still going, but they had basic dishes: dal, ladies fingers, various veg dishes, breads, chicken curry etc, and very cheap. Down the soi to the right of the big GPO building as you face it on New Road. Again, not easy to access unless you take bus or taxi.

Edited by asdecas

Thank you for the perfect tourist scams...

I like arya and dosa king. Both by nana bts station.

Dosa King is hardly a 'tourist scam'. They were on Soi 19 for years, and have excellent South Indian food, as if you'd know the difference. They are on Soi 11/1, across from Mrs. Balbir's, an excellent North Indian restaurant.

Sounds like you are after cheap street food. Pahurat is probably the only place you'll find it, but good luck with quality/hygiene.

Your attitude is crappy, frankly. You deserve what you wish for.

All around the Hindu Temple on Silom there is a range of Indian restaurants. I have not tried any of them except for a South Indian Vegetarian, that was cheap and very homey, good food and many things I've never seen or tried since was brought to my table as per my order. On casual glancing around about 6 months ago, I didn't see the place, I ate there almost 10 years ago, so it likely isn't there. But the area is very promising, definitely worth an investigation.

It is much easier to access than Pahurat and has just as many Indian eateries on Silom there and especially on the cross street where the temple is located, actually there is quite a range of cuisines to be found in the numerous restaurants on that cross street, I seem to recall an Iranian place, a Burmese place and a few Indian joints, all looking very authentic non-dumbed down for timid palates.

Maybe others can make specific recommendations.

Try the Rembrandt Hotel, restaurant is on the 23rd floor, great views at night and has a balcony for a fag or breather.

Book in advance for a good table.

Rang Mahal is definitely among the top Indian restaurants in Thailand. But it is very expensive - not what Op asked. Don't know cheaper ones in Bangkok but am delighted that Phuket now has one that serves good food at reasonable prices - Little Prince at Pasak Soi1. Raj is the chef and owner and is assisted by several family members. The atmosphere is simple - no frills- but it's not cheap!

All around the Hindu Temple on Silom there is a range of Indian restaurants. I have not tried any of them except for a South Indian Vegetarian, that was cheap and very homey, good food and many things I've never seen or tried since was brought to my table as per my order. On casual glancing around about 6 months ago, I didn't see the place, I ate there almost 10 years ago, so it likely isn't there. But the area is very promising, definitely worth an investigation.

It is much easier to access than Pahurat and has just as many Indian eateries on Silom there and especially on the cross street where the temple is located, actually there is quite a range of cuisines to be found in the numerous restaurants on that cross street, I seem to recall an Iranian place, a Burmese place and a few Indian joints, all looking very authentic non-dumbed down for timid palates.

Maybe others can make specific recommendations.

I have tried a few behind the temple on Silom and was very impressed with the food. It gets very busy during lunch hours. Some other good Indian restaurants are also around the Indian Market at Chinatown.

Try the Rembrandt Hotelarrow-10x10.png, restaurant is on the 23rd floor, great views at night and has a balcony for a fag or breather.

Book in advance for a good table.

Lovely restaurant with some of the best dishes money can buy. Live Music is good and a fantastic view.

The Rang Mahal is on the 25th Floor.

Mrs Balbir is another good restaurant

Indian restaurants are concentrated in two areas - downtown Sukhumvit, where you can expect to pay tourist prices for modest portions of variable-quality food, and areas such as Phahurat and Chakraphet, Indian merchant areas located at the far end of Yaowarat in Chinatown. These latter areas are more modestly priced and more casual, cafe-style places, but your problem, unless you are staying around KSR, is access; they are served only by local buses or taxi/tuktuk, and traffic can be a nightmare. Best of the bunch in my opinion is Royal India, long-established, supplies Indian sweets to hotels too, but it can be a bitch to find. Google it or find in Lonely Planet.

There is also quite a large collection of Indian (and Pakistani and Sri Lankan) restaurants and holes in the wall in the Pratunam Market area - although not right on Petchaburi or Ratchaprarop Road but in that area. You'll find them generally in the sois between Baiyoke and Indra Regent. If you don't know the area, Soi Ratchaprarop 1 is a good starting place.
While many of them are fusion places and some of them are there to try to snag the tourists (most of whom are Asian, many from South Asia), this area and most of the food shops just bristle with authenticity. Very good eating here.

There is good reason why Indian restaurants are not more widespread throughout the city: I would hazard that 95% of Thais will not even venture to try Indian food; the nearest they get to foreign is pasta or pizza. More fool them!

There used to be an Indian canteen or two near the old GPO on New Road. Haven't been there for years so no idea if still going, but they had basic dishes: dal, ladies fingers, various veg dishes, breads, chicken curry etc, and very cheap. Down the soi to the right of the big GPO building as you face it on New Road. Again, not easy to access unless you take bus or taxi.

Indian restaurants are very widespread. Actually, though, Thais eat Indian food every day, only a large part of the time it's called "Thai food". There is a very long list of "Thai" dishes that are actually Indian and an even longer list of dishes that the Thais have adapted. Start with khao mok gai (biryani) and massaman, just as examples. Half the "Thai curries" are Indian.

The best Thai khao mok gai (purists claim) arguably is in that area near the GPO you write about, where Indian stall owners serve it up and several thousand Thais line up for it every day.

Edited by wandasloan

After almost 15 years in Thailand I have never found a decent Indian restaurant, at best only mediocre and prefer to make my own. As for Thai price, well even though the ingredients are all now readily available and a chicken madras can be made for less than 35 baht, Im afraid the going rate is reaching 200 for the curry, 70 for the rice and 40 for a naan bread. Stick to Thai food, its better and cheaper.

After almost 15 years in Thailand I have never found a decent Indian restaurant, at best only mediocre and prefer to make my own. As for Thai price, well even though the ingredients are all now readily available and a chicken madras can be made for less than 35 baht, Im afraid the going rate is reaching 200 for the curry, 70 for the rice and 40 for a naan bread. Stick to Thai food, its better and cheaper.

Clueless post....see above for the truth.