Driving from Hat Yai to Penang.

Davemcdavidjnr

Hi guys,

Any info is greatly appreciated on driving my own vehicle from Hat Yai to Penang.

I am after info on the border crossing mainly. i.e. step by step process from entering immigration on Thai side through getting insurance to entering Malaysia.

I have lived in Thailand for many years, but have never done a border crossing in my own vehicle, so any logical information is appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave.

It's been covered here before but from the last time I did it, this was what I did:

1. DMV in Hatyai and get your book translated to English

2. Once at the Sadoa side, go to any of the insurance agent and get Malaysian insurance for the duration of your stay. They wont let you in if your windows are too dark.

(There are probably Malaysian insurance offices in Hatyai but the above is the way I used to do it, albeit some years ago.)

There is also nowadays, some kind of passport for your car but I think that is only acceptable in Laos and\or Cambodia, can't remember.

It's been covered here before but from the last time I did it, this was what I did:

2. Once at the Sadoa side, go to any of the insurance agent and get Malaysian insurance for the duration of your stay. They wont let you in if your windows are too dark.

(There are probably Malaysian insurance offices in Hatyai but the above is the way I used to do it, albeit some years ago.)

There is also nowadays, some kind of passport for your car but I think that is only acceptable in Laos and\or Cambodia, can't remember.

Many thanks South, I tried to find the previous threads with no luck.

All info greatly appreciated.

Just through the border crossing at Sadoe there is a place to get Insurance and roman lettering sticker for translation of Thai plate ....(As far as I remember you need to get the translation done in your home vehicle branch, I assume Had Yai in this case).

If I remember correctly insurance coverage is for three months.... so for a very short trip, it may not be worth the cost.... wink.png There are also Toll fee stations for cars and trucks... (motor bikes are free) ...

Similar question here....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/875930-driving-from-hat-yai-to-malaysia/

Edited by samuijimmy

It's pretty easy.

( as previously mentioned )

An official translation is helpful although some guys report getting by with a regular blue book.

Get your insurance. Look for the tent that says 'Kurnia insurans'

Get your number plates made. If your in Hat Yai you can get a decent ones made and save yourself a bit of time.

The insurance girl will complete all your paperwork and prepare a photocopy of your details for the JPJ ( the malay DLT ) and send you to their office, hand your papers over then just wait.

After a little while you will receive a ICP, an international circulation permit, a big square paper that I guess you should display on your dashboard.

Then you are done ..

I went through Satun border and acquired my ICP ( valid for the duration of your insurance ) which was a piece of cake then rode through Sadao > Penang two weeks later. There was no need for me to stop at the JPJ and we just cruised through the border complex, no checkpoints or the dreaded tint machine.

ETS: they are rebuilding the sadao complex on the Thai side, it's a bit of a mess .. Just follow the arrows, drive through the new complex and back on yourself to some ports cabins and join the queues.

Could you enter through Satun ? You will be the only person buying insurance, the JPJ is after malay immigration, you knock on the door, he checks your plates and you drive off, park up and wait.

The only negative is, it's a trek to get to the motorway.

Edited by recom273

I hear what samui jimmy is saying, for one trip may not be worth paying the insurance - but it's 1000b - 1500b or something - I have ridden my bike without insurance plenty of times and often there is a checkpoint a few km into Malaysia which bikes ride around and cars queue.

There are also reports of checkpoints before the Penang bridge.

These JPJ guys don't let much slide, I know of one guy who had his bike seized, others report they were sent back to the border to get legal.