Driving from Hat Yai to Malaysia

Timbob

Hi,

I'm from the UK but I'm currently staying in Hat Yai.

I have a double 60-day visa and I need to leave Thailand at some point next week. I do not need a new visa as I've got a second 60 day entry that'll take me up to a trip home to the UK in February.

I have a car here in Hat Yai and am thinking about driving to Malaysia, perhaps to Penang. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on making such a trip? All I can find is advice on doing it the other way (Penang to Hat Yai) or 'visa run' tips.

I was going to fly to KL, stay for a night, then fly back the next day. I don't want to leave Thailand, but I know the rules. I'm just wondering whether driving, staying for a night, then driving back the next day is relatively easy and hassle free - or if it would be wiser to fly. I read somewhere that immigration take a dim view of in/out same day / next day trips, but I'm not sure where I fit into that... as I do have a double entry visa, so it's not technically a 'visa run'.... or is it?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Unless the vehicle owner is with you expect it will be hard - but have never done it. There is easy and inexpensive taxi, van and bus transport to Butterworth/Georgetown/Penang from Hat Yai (which Malaysians as well as normal tourists use). You will see the same highway either way and not have to worry about the much stricter Malaysian highway police.

You can actually drive to border and cross/return on foot if you want - but some immigration officers do not like that method (especially at normal highway crossing). If using that method best to use the normal rail crossing town.

If you have not been to Penang would stay a couple nights as it is a pleasant change - old section of Georgetown is quite colonial feeling.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, my girlfriend owns the car and will be with me if we drive.

I'm not too keen on getting a minibus. I see them all the time here and they drive like lunatics. I once did a visa run to Laos from Bangkok and it was terrifying.

As for driving... I've read about needing insurance (obviously), a number plate sticker and I think the window tint must not be less than 60%, I believe.

I have never been to Penang. My mum used to live and teach there back in the 60's or 70's. She often talks about it, but says she wouldn't want to go back as it has probably changed so much since then. I can't turn back time but I would like to go and see what its like for myself.

That said, we're now thinking of another option.... to go to Langkawi. I'm still looking into it, but it seems we might be able to drive to Satun, park the car and catch the ferry. Perhaps spend a night there and return. They even have a ferry to Penang so we could take a trip there too. This would be good as we'd not have to drive across the border. My only concern is ensuring I get my passport stamped. I assume this won't be a problem, but I need to make sure.

Do you think that's a good option?

Yes that should work. And probably a more interesting drive to get to the border (have never done).

As for vans they do control speed a bit more in Malaysia - but they can get smelly with some tourists - but does not cost that much to rent share taxi for two and then you have a private driver.

I haven't been to Penang for 10 years, and we went for an Indian curry the other week .. It's really changed for the better .. Lot of places in the heritage district have been cleaned up.

The ropey old budget hotels like the Swiss are all now boutique hotels for 1000b or so.

The hill railway is well worth it and a beautiful statue at a neighboring temple.

post-78877-14493771794797_thumb.jpg

It's a nice weekend trip if you have your car it's so much easier to get about, a bit of Indian food, Chinese food and snacks, malay cuisine, petrol is cheaper, driving on the motorway a pleasant experience.

Thanks. I saw your reply to the other similar thread about driving.... which is very useful information.

It looks like we're going to Langkawi this time around for a couple of nights. I'm definitely up for going to Penang, so will remember this for next time.

We ended up going to Langkawi.

It took about 2 hours to drive to the pier from Hat Yai and the ferry took just over an hour. It costs 300 baht e/w. Immigration at Langkawi took about 10 minutes and then we were out. Langkawi is nice, but it's not amazing - and if we were to go back then I'd hire a car, as it's not great for walking... not where we stayed anyway. Overall though, a pleasant trip.

Random tip: on the return ferry try to be one of the first off the boat. There was only one immigration officer and he was very slow. Thankfully we were near the front.

Archived