SURVEY: Do you believe there is high probability of a terrorist attack in Thailand?

Scott

Do you believe that there is high probability of a terrorist attack in Thailand?  

325 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as I said before many times:

There will be a coalition between all branches of IS worldwide. From Middle East to Africa and here to Asia. No doubt it will affect Indonesia (biggest Muslim country) but also Thailand up to China.

Primarily Western countries are targets, meaning allied countries (France, US, UK, Germany aso), but it will be a threat for many non-muslim countries.

We declared the war.....so we'll have to take it now and will suffer.....don't complain.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say NO not counting the south, it will always be tent ion in the south. It's like the Israel Palestine issue, they can't get along. Neither the Thai or the Muslims are benefitting from the fighting. Keep peace and benefit from the tourism would be better for both groups.

No. "Terrorists" are made in the West and by the West. The struggle in the Pattani area is something else, an internal Asian affair.

I seem to remember that the 1938 Czechoslovakia crisis was described as a "quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing". That rather came back and bit us on the bum didn't it?

I know it is not a direct comparison, but these "struggles" can spill over very quickly, particularly in our era of rapid travel, instant global communication and international (Islamic) terrorism.

I think one thing that seems certain enough is that if any such thing happens the cops / army will be ill prepared to investigate it and deter other would be attackers from doing the same.

I expect something pretty grave will happen in the region soon enough

Thai's lack the ability to be 'pro-active' regarding anything.

They are always 're-active' or after-the-fact.

(this is not a judgement, just stating fact)

Edited by lgking

There will be a coalition between all branches of IS worldwide. From Middle East to Africa and here to Asia. No doubt it will affect Indonesia (biggest Muslim country) but also Thailand up to China.

Primarily Western countries are targets, meaning allied countries (France, US, UK, Germany aso), but it will be a threat for many non-muslim countries.

We declared the war.....so we'll have to take it now and will suffer.....don't complain.

Islam declared war centuries ago on everyone that dosnt conform to their believes, not the other way around

In a country where arms are freely available internally, with long porous borders where further munitions and people with ill intent can flow freely and corrupt border control officers prepared to look the other way for a few thousand Baht are operating on a daily basis; then naturally there is a high probability of (another) terrorist attack.

Anyone who thinks there will not be such an attack at sometime in the future is living in denial or is just a Muppet !

I said No. But with reservations: "High" and "Low" are subjective.

With regard to Russian intel and Syrian men entering the country, I think the likeliehood is very low.

That's not to say a different set of men won't do something, especially to Russians.

And cue the guys who will drift off-topic and bring up the South's troubles.

It is not off topic to reference the ongoing insurrection in the South. If you don't believe that sooner rather than later the southern insurgents will make a deal with other groups, then you are naive. The history of terrorist groups has been that they link up with others even if they may not share identical ideologies.

It is off-topic if you understand the OP is about foreign terrorists, and if you understand the insurgency in the South has nothing to do with jihad.

We already had one in August.

Bangkok has so many soft targets and the country is soft in general. Security is lacking. Many Westerners come here.

They don't even check cars coming into the major hotels anymore like they used to with mirrors underneath and opening the trunk.

At malls and the MRT they don't even look in your bag. They just glance in. Pathetic!

If ISIS wants to make a splash here and kill a lot of people it wouldn't be very hard unfortunately.

Thailand needs to get with the U.S. and institute more U.S. like counter terrorism methods. It isn't perfect (as we've seen in the U.S.), but it's pretty damn good.

Talking to the Israelis would even be better.

But alas, General Happiness doesn't need any help. He knows everything giggle.gif

Islam declared war centuries ago on everyone that dosnt conform to their believes, not the other way around

we are not talking about ancient times, we talk about NOW. And many western countries declared war against IS. And we are so stupid to stumble into their trap. And where is the origin of this war? Amarica's policy. Vietnam, Afghanistan, Irak.....Any questions?

I said No. But with reservations: "High" and "Low" are subjective.

With regard to Russian intel and Syrian men entering the country, I think the likeliehood is very low.

That's not to say a different set of men won't do something, especially to Russians.

And cue the guys who will drift off-topic and bring up the South's troubles.

According to you, the fact that there is a Islamic insurgency in the South is off-topic when it comes to a terrorist attacks in Thailand.

There is only one point that surprises me about the Southern troubles, which is that the insurgents in the South have not already teamed up with one of the many international terrorist movements. I has to be only a matter of time. We have seen this occurring in just about everywhere there is conflict between a Muslim insurgency and a state.

When it occurs, perhaps you might not see this as a drifting off-topic.

We already had one in August.

Bangkok has so many soft targets and the country is soft in general. Security is lacking. Many Westerners come here.

They don't even check cars coming into the major hotels anymore like they used to with mirrors underneath and opening the trunk.

At malls and the MRT they don't even look in your bag. They just glance in. Pathetic!

If ISIS wants to make a splash here and kill a lot of people it wouldn't be very hard unfortunately.

Thailand needs to get with the U.S. and institute more U.S. like counter terrorism methods. It isn't perfect (as we've seen in the U.S.), but it's pretty damn good.

Talking to the Israelis would even be better.

But alas, General Happiness doesn't need any help. He knows everything giggle.gif

Talk to the Israelis? You mean what is public knowledge now (Amenesty's report) on shoot-to-kill orders for the army? Religions are the cause of most wars, be it Christians (US/UK type) , Muslims, or Israeli Jews? Talking to any religion isn't going to work. If you believe otherwise, you should talk to Jerry Falwell Jr. When most college campuses prohibit guns, the Liberty University President thinks the opposite should be the case -- urging his school's students to be armed, especially in light of this week's massacre in San Bernardino, California.

"I always thought that if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walk in and kill," he said.

Those comments from Falwell -- a son of the late evangelist, conservative political activist and Liberty University founder -- spurred vigorous applause from thousands of (Christian) students gathered Friday night for Liberty's weekly convocation. End of Times is coming, according to ISIS.

The Russians have a better network to detect terrorist movement than Thailand. But Thailand does not want to scare away there #1 tourist locations by denying these reports! If a attack happens Thailand will lose the faith of any tourist considering traveling to Thailand for many years.

I voted yes, but I do think that the time frame for a prospective attack should have been included in the question. We have had one terrorist attack in Bangkok already this year, in addition to weekly attacks in the South. I expect another attack in Bangkok or possibly a major tourist destination, like Pattaya, but not necessarily in the near future. We will probably see another bombing within the next year or so.

If any European country suffered half the number of terrorist deaths that Thailand has every years they would be on the highest alert.

It is worth remembering that Islamists have been known to lie

You mean they lie if they don't attack?

In this case I prefer the liars to the honest ones.

I voted yes, but I do think that the time frame for a prospective attack should have been included in the question. We have had one terrorist attack in Bangkok already this year, in addition to weekly attacks in the South. I expect another attack in Bangkok or possibly a major tourist destination, like Pattaya, but not necessarily in the near future. We will probably see another bombing within the next year or so.

I voted yes too, the targets public transport 7/7 style like the London terror attack or Madrid bombing. Whether a bus, train or river ferry. Why? I think the Earawin Shrine bombers were southern insurgents and the Urghur suspects are scapegoats to hide this fact. Linked to isis? Maybe? But a group has upped the anti and is out there now planning its next assault. IMO, I have no proof, just my feelings of what has happened before in the Samui and Phuket bombs. I feel they might exist, a militant group, armed and dangerous.