Real French Food In Cm

3Wisemen

Couple of years ago I met some French people who took me to a small but really nice French (owned) restaurant in CM but outside the old town. As usual I did not pay attention to the ride over there. But the food was excellent, with true French dishes

Now I want to impress some special visitors and would like to know if anybody knows of good French restaurants in CM? I am not from CM, you see, but visit the city when possible.

Thanx a lot!

Couple of years ago I met some French people who took me to a small but really nice French (owned) restaurant in CM but outside the old town. As usual I did not pay attention to the ride over there. But the food was excellent, with true French dishes

Now I want to impress some special visitors and would like to know if anybody knows of good French restaurants in CM? I am not from CM, you see, but visit the city when possible.

Thanx a lot!

Outside the old city, then it was probably McDonalds...... the French Fries !!! ooo-la la

But perhaps it was The Cocks Door [spelling may be just a bit off] ....this is a very good French Restaurant, bit on th e pricy side though. Don't have an address here but you can find it in many of the CM Magazines [if there are any left] Down Nong Hoi way I think, between Nong Hoi and the Super Highway Ext that goes to the Airport.

On serious side .... It is good. Maybe someone else can post an address for you.

Citylife magazine online guide has plenty of addresses and phone numbers. This will take you to the French restaurant page and includes 'The Cocks Door' though in not so many letters. Also has opening times and there words of wisdom. Le Crystal is the other high end French restaurant in town.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/foodguide/int...lfood.php?sub=7

That's quick. Great! What a fantastic and useful forum this is. The posted links are very helpful too.

I think it was Chez Daniel (through the mist of bottles of wine I seem to remember talk about Chiang Mai Land Location), but rachele thank you too, Les Solils sounds great too. I might try both of them.

I went yeterday night to the Soliles near Thapae road for the 3rd time, and I had a superb meal again, even the french fries are special...Not a great wine selection, but the romanian Merlot they propose is surprinsingly good.

300 bahts for 4, including wine, with a 3 courses meal, try the creme brulee for dessert, the best I have ever eaten...

You have to wait a bit long to get your dishes to arrive but the wait is worth every minutes.

Try it and spread the word, I was sorry to see we were the only occupied table...

Le Coq d'or and le Crystal are both very good, but at prices level which are much higher. Chez Daniel is also very enjoyable, and the owner Daniel is really a character...

I personally am trying to avoid meat again, but I recommend the Franco-Thai place. Turn left off the moat after Chiangmai Gate, the Chinese Embassy and before the mental hospital and it's a little way down on the left.

This is not grand eating a la Prunier, but great value for hearty terrine, steaks and the like.

Steak w variety tasty sauces 120 baht inc veg or salad and fresh bread. For the price terrific.

Edited by sleepyjohn

That's quick. Great! What a fantastic and useful forum this is. The posted links are very helpful too.

I think it was Chez Daniel (through the mist of bottles of wine I seem to remember talk about Chiang Mai Land Location), but rachele thank you too, Les Solils sounds great too. I might try both of them.

Chez Daniel's is not the cheapest by Thai standards but it it/was good. Turn right out of Chiang Mai Land at the southern end onto Mahidol Road. It is located a short distance on the right (north side) from the exit of Chiang Mai Land.

I also enjoyed dining at Le Solils. They had the best frog legs I've ever had, and the rose wine they served was excellent. It was also, by far, the cheapest French restaurant I'd ever been to for less than 500 baht for the entire meal.

Chez Daniel is also very enjoyable, and the owner Daniel is really a character...

Sorry about that but Daniel is despicable. Period.

Despicable ? A harsh statement IMO... I wonder how Daniel has managed to stay opened so many years if it is that bad.. I have been to his Bangkok restaurant many times , and at his Chiangmai place as well, and have always had good if not excellent meals...

OOPs sorry, of course you have to read "3000 bahts for 4"...

Oops indeed. Between original post and correction I rallied the gang and had them calling the neighbors to join us. Now, disheartened, we're going to take the 3,000 baht and do 3 weeks worth of grocery shopping instead.

Chez Daniel is also very enjoyable, and the owner Daniel is really a character...

Sorry about that but Daniel is despicable. Period.

Despicable ? A harsh statement IMO... I wonder how Daniel has managed to stay opened so many years if it is that bad.. I have been to his Bangkok restaurant many times , and at his Chiangmai place as well, and have always had good if not excellent meals...

Daniel, the man, is despicable. The restaurant is just mediocre. I know it's a harsh statement, but a well deserved one.

Daniel, the man, is despicable. The restaurant is just mediocre. I know it's a harsh statement, but a well deserved one.

Any particular reason or is this a personal issue?