why penalise the farangs who spend money here.

africans get a free 60 day entry. you know the ones selling <removed> on walking street and nana. thats just an example , what about the arabs and iranians / indians ? why give poorer countries better visa options. i cant understand the logic behind their thinking. and then they are now making it harder for the ED visa , making it difficult for the decent hard honest working guy to earn a living, why ?

ive spent countless millions upon millions of baht here so im dumbfounded blink.png

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory comment
  • Like 1

Good windup OP......................thumbsup.gif

Can't think of a single 'poor' country that has an easier visa option to the rest of us to be quite honest.

As for the making it harder for the ED visa , therefore making it difficult for the decent hard honest working guy to earn a living...........................blink.png

Well.............................wink.png

Can't think of a single 'poor' country that has an easier visa option to the rest of us to be quite honest.

As for the making it harder for the ED visa , therefore making it difficult for the decent hard honest working guy to earn a living...........................blink.png

well actually. Brazilians can get a 90 day visa exempt stamp on arrival in Thailand

Edited by doctor pat

well actually. Brazilians can get a 90 day visa exempt stamp on arrival in Thailand

Along with brazillians of Koreans and Peruvians.

But none are allowed to earn an honest living on their 90 day visa-exemptions.

• Like 1

Good windup OP......................thumbsup.gif Can't think of a single 'poor' country that has an easier visa option to the rest of us to be quite honest.

As for the making it harder for the ED visa , therefore making it difficult for the decent hard honest working guy to earn a living...........................blink.png Well.............................wink.png

I can think of many countries with easier visa options: Cambodia, Philippines, Malaysia - just naming the close ones. Most nations in Central and South America are also much easier.

I agree that ED visas should not be used by "working" people, but standardized testing could weed out those who do not study. Those working on Tourist Visas as teachers could also be picked up, at their jobs, with little effort. Make jail-time a "sure thing" for those who hire foreigners, and those job-offers would be gone the same day.

Those abberent behaviors are no reason to make it harder for those not taking Thai jobs to get visas, as this merely pushes out honest people, who spend foreign-capital into the Thai economy, while those willing to break the law, simply change their methods of operation.

ok , im corrected i did think that some teachers here were also working as english teachers whilst studying the ED visa, i did think that was allowed, im no expert.

and i,ll correct some of you, i did not mention skin colour once !!

Edited by dirtycash

I'll at least answer the question as put in the title.

I don't think you can deal with this question on a purely econonomic rational basis. You are dealing with pen pushers who value right from wrong, more than baht in the bank.

Whilst it is true the laws are fairly liberal anyway even for a third world country, it is also fair to say people in power tend to abuse it, and assuage guilt by finding the devil in someone else.

Those who tend towards the grey areas, are an easy target.

• Like 1

I'll at least answer the question as put in the title.

I don't think you can deal with this question on a purely econonomic rational basis. You are dealing with pen pushers who value right from wrong, more than baht in the bank.

Whilst it is true the laws are fairly liberal anyway even for a third world country, it is also fair to say people in power tend to abuse it, and assuage guilt by finding the devil in someone else.

Those who tend towards the grey areas, are an easy target.

"I'll at least answer the question as put in the title."

... in true Monty Python style.

Edited by Suradit69

Why poeple start worry when they cant spend 12 month year in Thailand . u will not dead if u go spend 1 month in malaysia and back Thailand .

I Nevers understand poeple worry about visa in Thailand .

M'y friend spend 3 month in Thailand than he go live for 1 or 2 month malaysia or Vietnam and back hère .its So easy

What you are ignoring is there is what's called reciprocity in way of dealing with visa between countries. You should ask the right questions. How your country treat Thais when it comes to visa?

Secondly, your statement smells xenophobia. Not all african. And arabs are on street. Most are spending more money than you for sure. If you are not happy with the rules here, just leave.

Good windup OP......................thumbsup.gif Can't think of a single 'poor' country that has an easier visa option to the rest of us to be quite honest.

As for the making it harder for the ED visa , therefore making it difficult for the decent hard honest working guy to earn a living...........................blink.png Well.............................wink.png

I can think of many countries with easier visa options: Cambodia, Philippines, Malaysia - just naming the close ones. Most nations in Central and South America are also much easier.

I agree that ED visas should not be used by "working" people, but standardized testing could weed out those who do not study. Those working on Tourist Visas as teachers could also be picked up, at their jobs, with little effort. Make jail-time a "sure thing" for those who hire foreigners, and those job-offers would be gone the same day.

Those abberent behaviors are no reason to make it harder for those not taking Thai jobs to get visas, as this merely pushes out honest people, who spend foreign-capital into the Thai economy, while those willing to break the law, simply change their methods of operation.

Visas are normally negotiated between countries. Thus when I give you 90 days you give me 90 days. I you don't want to give me 90 days we settle on 30 or 60 days etc. What Thailand have done is to go beyond this normal process and make entry easier for UK, EU and US citizens to enter the country to promote tourism, but the EU and US have not returned the favor for Thai citizens wanting to enter their countries. So for UK, EU and US citizens to complain is a bit absurd. As for the SEA countries they are all part of ASEAN thus the easier visa regulation.

I'm not wealthy enough to say I have 'enough' to see me through the rest of my life without income with surety, though I do have okay savings, a couple of property assets in UK and a comfortable passive income at the moment, and enough in local THB to get an Elite without being wiped out (being under 50 at the moment). I wish they would do it similar to neighbouring countries where it's a few hundred USD per year for people not taking Thai jobs where there is no appropriate Visa category.

I think Elite is expensive for the privilege of bringing money to the country (which is why I don't store a lot in THB or local investment), though lately I've come to thinking that what is good for the country and its people, and what is good for the decision makers managing this operation are not at all the same thing. Ironically, I've had a couple of foreigners tell me that "$15K is nothing", whilst being on the bones of their behind and a couple being deported for overstay, so have to be careful who to listen to.