What SIM to get when we land at Suvarnabhumi?

alt

Hi all,

I know there are various operators selling SIM's at Suvarnabhumi.

When we land on Thursday, can anyone advise which provider we should be going with for the following:

30 days data (most important) - 2GB would be plenty

Some included calls / txts to other Thai mobile

I know various providers offer 7 / 14 day, but I need 30 day. Would just prefer to pay up front and be done with it without having to go to 7/11 etc. to top up

Edited by alt

Hello,

I would go with a regular DTAC SIM at their booth on the arrival floor, you can top-up from there too, then use one of their special promotions listed here:

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/happy-unlimited-internet-package.html

The Happy Internet 299 baht / month. All-you-can-use at 299B seems alright for your needs. You just need to have sufficient credit and dial *104*353*9#

I've used the weekly variant of this promotion several times and I've been happy (no intended joke here) with the service received.

Make sure that your smartphone does support the 850Mhz band for 3G (WCDMA) because I think it's still much used by DTAC upcountry.

Some mobiles from western Europe only support 900 and 2100 Mhz.

AFAIK you would be better with AIS is that's your case.

Edited by Lannig

Many thanks. I have a HTC one which supports 850 MHz. My GF bought a phone last time we were there (Sim free AIS phone.. Lava something...) so shouldn't have any issues.

I'll go to the DTAC counter upon arrival and tell them I want the 399 baht / month deal (4.5 GB data, for the sake of an extra 100 baht) ... i'll just give them the money and let them do their thing.

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by alt

If I were you I'd bring a prinout of the aforementioned web page and point at the promotion you want.

They might want to drive you to buying more expensive combos made especially for foreigners (or just being clueless).

And you're welcome :)

Edited by Lannig

True sometimes gives out free Tourist sims when you get off the plane.

It would suit me better to be able to go to a booth and pay for a months data, don't mind paying a little more for the convenience. Thanks though.

True H 4G is really good. They have LTE in most major cities but the 3G is good even in the village. 4G speeds can be 20-40 Mbps and 3G is from 3-9 Mbps . They have a counter and is convenient and they will set everything up for you. For me internet was a top priority and my main reason for going with True.

I pulled my Canadian SIM when I got on the plane in Toronto, Canada....

When I got to Thailand, I went with "true move" for the next four months until I flew back to Canada. Very easy to get a "true move" SIM at any of their kiosks or shops at the airports or malls.

I think they have "true move H" now. Not sure what the "H" is...... but I was very happy with just my "true move". Loved being able to just walk to the nearest 7/11 for a top up. (7/11's seem to be all over the place.... at least in Chiang Mai.)

Very happy with them. Their customer service and help setting you up is very good, (at least in my case)..... and you can refill at any 7/11 in Thailand. At least when I was there in 2013.

I'll be seeing if that is still the case when I return to Thailand... I expect it is still the case...

Edited by Catoni

When arriving at Suvarnabhumi last month, I both got True Happy Tourist card at the gate, and then AIS on the immigration's officer desk (I asked if I could take some, and he said yes).

So I got a couple of both wink.png

and no paperwork which I tought was surprising

Sounds like TRUE and DTAC come highly recommended.

Given that I know I can get a monthly data pass from DTAC without having to top-up (provided I don't use the allowance), I think i'll go with them.

Many thanks :)

Hi all, advice needed please.

I come to LOS about every three months on a 30 day no visa visit and I need a SIM card that will give me phone and Internet combined.

I am not interested in downloading anything more than my emails,chatting on Line or Skype,and booking hotels through an Internet connection that is a little bit more secure than hotel WiFi networks,but I really want to use my iPhone's Gps sat nav to find my way around.

And I want to tether my iPad to the phone

So what I am looking for is a PAYG sim that will give all of the above and not die through lack of use between leaving and returning to LOS.

Upto now I have always used True move for phone calls and hotel WiFi networks for Internet but I got spied on and contacts and chat history were stolen and used against me by an ex so I do not want that again.

I have found True's cover to be very good so I will be happy to stay with them

If any one can help with info it will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and merry xmas to all.