Santisuk Sub District (Chom Tong District)..buy land?

spooky2015

Right now me and my Thai wife stay in Chiang Mai for a couples of days, also look for some payable land for build a house.

We found a nice, and of course inexpensive land in santisuk sub district.....it´s about 37- 38 Kilometer far from Chiang Mai City, about 1 Kilometer far from the Road Number 108. It´s a Rice field before, but have chanode and also already soil for electricity.

In my mind, land in this area is not that expensive than in other parts of Chiang Mai Area.Ok, it´s not that busy than other Parts and also not that much big Shops but that´s ok for us.

Can anybody tell me something about this area please. Good Place for buy land?

Anywhere in WWW i read something about Radon is not that far....is that right?

Hope anybody can give a quick recommend.

Thank you

Regards

Used to live in Doi Lo....Watch that the land doesn't flood during rainy season.....There's alot around there that does....Also make sure you own the access to the land....

Hopefully you are aware that if you are not Thai you can NEVER OWN that land.....

Used to live in Doi Lo....Watch that the land doesn't flood during rainy season.....There's alot around there that does....Also make sure you own the access to the land....

Hopefully you are aware that if you are not Thai you can NEVER OWN that land.....

Howard Hughes was ridiculed for paying 25 cents per acre for 25,000 acres...or 6250 usd. Today, a 5000 sf lot in Summerlin, NV will set you back 200,000 usd. But land doesn't produce income and you often need a 50 year time horizon to make good money or even 100-200 years. The flooding aspect is critical....but if it is ok, perhaps 100 thb per wah.

Thank for all the useful replies. But to be honest....it don´t makes me the decision more easy. :-/

In fact, there is no any big river around (just small small small creek), so i think flood is not really a big problem over here. Price is nearly 700 THB/wah. There is also some houeses around, not far from the land.

About Radon gas, yes i also read something about Sarapee....but how about Santisuk (Chom Tong)?

Any else recommendations are welcome.

Regards

Not a bad price. Far from town though of course. I think Santisuk is in Doi Lo district though, not Chom Thong.

It's hard to say if it's a good place to buy land or not.. I don't think it's terribly scenic in that area close to the 108.

I think I'd try for either a lot more scenic in terms of views, or a bit close into town.

Another area with really cheap land is near Ban Kad, Mae Wang. Also really cheap and uninteresting, but significantly closer to town. (While still not close enough for my liking and definitely not scenic enough, but okay)

That's roughly around here. A whole lot of nothing and most of it is for sale. https://goo.gl/4vs2vH

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I was thinking of buying a small piece of land and having a house built but was told I can`t. How does a Falang go about owning land in Chiang Mai?

Prohibited by law.....If you trust your wife buy it in her name....But if she dies it's not uncommon for the family to grab it and kick you out....

@Winnie. Yes, you are right it´s Doi Lo District. And i like it becauase of it´s close (1 Kilometer) to the Road Number 108. Mae Wang ist more Close to CM but also much far from the Main Road.

@all. I know a farang can´t own land but I am married with Thai woman....of Course i will buy it under her Name. And....we have Children with Thai nationality.

Any Details about Radon Gas around this area?

More recommendations are welcome.

Regards

@Winnie. Yes, you are right it´s Doi Lo District. And i like it becauase of it´s close (1 Kilometer) to the Road Number 108. Mae Wang ist more Close to CM but also much far from the Main Road.

@all. I know a farang can´t own land but I am married with Thai woman....of Course i will buy it under her Name. And....we have Children with Thai nationality.

Regards

You mean a Falang can buy land in his Thai wife`s name and it`s that simple?

My situation. I have been together with my Thai girlfriend for 14 years, no children. We live in a large house owned by the GF`s brother and happy with that. On a retirement extension and can`t see the benefits of getting married.

My girlfriend constantly nags me to get married and says we could buy some land and build our own home. But I have read the rules and think it stinks, because I can`t own even one grain of soil and could be thrown off at a moments notice. So I think to myself why should I now on a pension put myself into a vulnerable situation on the good will of others?

^ No.

(I can answer questions like these all day long. smile.png )

Of course, if the overall spend is manageable for you then after 14 years it's not too unreasonable to want a nice little home of her own. That's not uncommon or unreasonable in marriage (or long term relationship), for a husband to provide a nest of some sort. You can get a lease on the land to give you added security, but ultimately you're doing this for her. And for having the house you want, in the location you want.

But if it's a major investment that severely cuts into your savings, and you're perfectly happy with where you live now, then see above for the obvious answer. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

^ No.

smile.png

Let me tell you a story based on true events.

A Canadian friend in his early 70s married a Thai lady in her 40s 4 years ago. Within a few months of the marriage he bought a house with land in Doi Saket in his wife`s name. In all he spent 10000000 baht. Unbeknownst to him his wife was taking out massive loans with loan sharks using the house as collateral. One day he was visited by some heavies telling him his loan payments were overdue, something he know nothing about. His wife done a runner, she had borrowed millions on the house. He went to a lawyer and was told, sorry pal you`re stuffed. The house now stands empty waiting to be repossessed by the loan people.

Regards

No it's not that simple!

Regards

No it's not that simple!

Are there anyways that a Farlang can buy land, even in a wife`s name without falling foul of the law?

My situation. I have been together with my Thai girlfriend for 14 years, no children. We live in a large house owned by the GF`s brother and happy with that. On a retirement extension and can`t see the benefits of getting married.

My girlfriend constantly nags me to get married and says we could buy some land and build our own home. But I have read the rules and think it stinks, because I can`t own even one grain of soil and could be thrown off at a moments notice. So I think to myself why should I now on a pension put myself into a vulnerable situation on the good will of others?

Do the norm for the UK then and put yourself at the least financial risk.

Its called a mortgage. You say to the little wife ok i dont have the funds (to waste) for a house now as i am retired but if you want house (or car) we can get mortgage.

If she doesnt have the ability to repay or get a mortgage then its a big sorry love but you need to save up or find a bigger sucker than me.

At ours wife got a serious mortgage; I will not buy a car and i have never been at any finacial risk here in 5yrs or since we got married.

I dont need that.

Do the norm for the UK then and put yourself at the least financial risk.

Its called a mortgage. You say to the little wife ok i dont have the funds (to waste) for a house now as i am retired but if you want house (or car) we can get mortgage.

If she doesnt have the ability to repay or get a mortgage then its a big sorry love but you need to save up or find a bigger sucker than me.

At ours wife got a serious mortgage; I will not buy a car and i have never been at any finacial risk here in 5yrs or since we got married.

I dont need that.

It`s like this, I do have funds and can afford to buy land and do trust girlfriend but where money is concerned she has sweet bugger all worth mentioning.

What would happen if there are purges and the police or immigration began asking questions, or the wife gets killed by a stray golf ball or something? Not a good idea me thinks. I think it`s either go <deleted> or bust and take ya chances or not.

It´s not point in this Topic...but ok....

1. Married or not married with Thai woman, no matter.....it´s easy to buy land under her Name. But it´s impossible to buy it under farand Name.

2. If no trust in Thai woman, better don´t do....for sure.

In my case, we talk about a small Plot with about 150 wah for about 120.000 THB. I do trust my wife.....and it´s also not that big Money.

Regards