Plastic-bag-mania in 7-11

Bezpoleznyak

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems there is no signs in Thailand of recycling, as yet!

I wonder what those trash guys parked in front of my apartment for hours each night are doing with the garbage they spread all over the street, repacking it into separate bags.

Or why the security and maintenance at my apartment separate all recyclables before the trash even makes it to the street.

If they can make half a baht, they recycle it.

Nobody wants the millions of plastic drinks bags strewn everywhere,or the rubbish seen on pretty well every Beach in Thailand.

I agree with the op they try 2 put everything in plastic bags they even try to put my coffee in it some times

And sometimes when u say it's OK I don't need a bag they look at u like u are mad

It dose make me laugh but it is a problem

But I can't see it going like the UK where they have started charging for bags, but I have herd the amount used has gone down my 80%

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I just say, "no bag" and put it in my backpack. If i don't have my backpack, i get a bag.

But why on Earth would I say "no bag" when I'm buying a 250 ml juice? Who needs a bag for a 250 ml juice? The size of the bag is the same as the size of the juice! It's bunk! They put a 10 bath sun-flower kernels in a bag! EVERYTHING! I don't need a bag for that at all! Can't they figure out that's ridiculous? What will I do with that tiny bag?

Can't you figure out how to say no bag in Thai,to give the poor checkout person some chance of reading your obvious superior brain.

I can. But how about other customers who don't need a bag and are lazier than me to say "no bag"?

I just say, "no bag" and put it in my backpack. If i don't have my backpack, i get a bag.

I meant if i purchase multiple items and dont have a backpack, then i get a bag. Yes, i can put a pack of sunflower seeds in my pocket. I now realise i must state the obvious on this forum lest i cause a blood vessle to burst in someone's brain.

All the OP has to do is take his own plastic bags, hemp sacks, or whatever he'd prefer, and tell the 7-11 staff to put his items in it.

In places like Australia, when you go to the bottle shop, they don't give out any plastic bags at all. If they have any spare, you might get a dirty old cardboard box, or you might have to carry the goods around with nothing to put them in. Add to that the sky rocketing cost of electricity, so as to subsidise all those unproductive wind farms, showers that emit tiny jets of water, half-flushing toilets, horrid fluorescent light bulbs, etc, etc.

I'm glad that the tree-hugging eco-nazis that rule over us in the west haven't got their way here, yet.

Careless people like you are the reason "Eco Nazis" are required in today's world.

Did you know that the largest percentage of plastic garbage floating in the Pacific Ocean comes from SE Asia?...and there is a huge island of it out there.

attachicon.gif01 plastic.jpg

put up signs for the polar bears to go float on it.

All the OP has to do is take his own plastic bags, hemp sacks, or whatever he'd prefer, and tell the 7-11 staff to put his items in it.

In places like Australia, when you go to the bottle shop, they don't give out any plastic bags at all. If they have any spare, you might get a dirty old cardboard box, or you might have to carry the goods around with nothing to put them in. Add to that the sky rocketing cost of electricity, so as to subsidise all those unproductive wind farms, showers that emit tiny jets of water, half-flushing toilets, horrid fluorescent light bulbs, etc, etc.

I'm glad that the tree-hugging eco-nazis that rule over us in the west haven't got their way here, yet.

Careless people like you are the reason "Eco Nazis" are required in today's world.

Did you know that the largest percentage of plastic garbage floating in the Pacific Ocean comes from SE Asia?...and there is a huge island of it out there.

attachicon.gif01 plastic.jpg

put up signs for the polar bears to go float on it.

Damn! That is such an amusing remark!cheesy.gif

Putting 600 pound bears on a floating mass of plastic garbage with nothing to eat or drink!

I love it!gigglem.gif

But iI talked to the bears and they said the southern Pacific is too warm for them and getting even warmer!

They think a better idea is to dump all the selfish. lazy people who's attitude causes these problems in the ocean with the rest of the garbage floating out there.

The bears are correct! wai.gif

post-147745-0-86429300-1450004711_thumb.

I agree with the op they try 2 put everything in plastic bags they even try to put my coffee in it some times

And sometimes when u say it's OK I don't need a bag they look at u like u are mad

It dose make me laugh but it is a problem

But I can't see it going like the UK where they have started charging for bags, but I have herd the amount used has gone down my 80%

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

charging for bags in the usa all over now as well. turns out i dont miss them much unless i'm on a large scale shopping trip (something i never do in asia).

fyi - the whole bag thing here has nothing to do with needs. its what i call "dumb service". its meant to convey politeness and gaining face, not a necessity.

for the environmentalists your better off dropping that small bag on the floor on your way out, rather then refusing the bag, if you want change. that will generate employee complaints and cause hassle that will lead to change from management. missing the bin outside wont do a bit of good.

One reason I've heard is b/c back in the day everything was wrapped in banana leaves, so Thais think every package is biodegradable. But more likely than that is they're just largely uneducated on the matter.

Arrogant post

Edited by Sutty

It is "up to you".

You need to take responsibility.

I have never had anyone in Thailand, in 7/11 or any other store, try to force me to take a plastic bag when I tell them that I do not want them.

If they do not speak Engish, I say " Farang America mai chop plastic."

They may laugh, but I never leave the store with a plastic bag!

Have you considered bringing your own reusable bag?

I have seen them for sale at TESCO and yes, even at 7/11!

Why do you mention America?