Soil For Cactus. How to make?

I often see small cactuses at markets and in stores sold in those minuscule plastic pots. These are useless because the cactus can’t grow and soon die off. What I would like to do is plant them in large pots and try to grow the cactus to a large size.

My problem is I have not been able to buy the special mix soil designed for potting cactuses. Does anyone have experience of growing cactuses and how to make the special mix of soil suitable for potting cactus?

I obtain my cactus plants from a shop in Kam Thien Market, Chiangmai, run by a retired lady (academic, I think). As you say, they come in those tiny pots.

When I get home, I repot them using the soil you can buy at any nursery, B.30 for about 10 kgs, I think. While not a perfect cactus mix (should probably have a bit more sand), the plants seem to grow very well, and flower profusely. Most of mine are now several years old, live out of doors in a sunny spot, and tolerate heavy rain so long as the drainage is good, and loved being baked!

Most are Mamillaria or similar small desert species.

• 1 month later...

Excuse my late participation to this post. However, if you are still in the quest for cactuses, do send me a PM.

I am planning to do a complete landscaping job of my garden. That said, I have quite a number of medium to large cactuses with some flowering.

There's also many thorny flowered plants, all growing in pots and grounds to give away.

I'm along H22 Udon Thani.

Cheers

Excuse my late participation to this post. However, if you are still in the quest for cactuses, do send me a PM.

I am planning to do a complete landscaping job of my garden. That said, I have quite a number of medium to large cactuses with some flowering.

There's also many thorny flowered plants, all growing in pots and grounds to give away.

I'm along H22 Udon Thani.

Cheers

Thank you for your kind offer, but I would prefer to grow my own if I was able to obtain the correct soil mix.