Lcd Monitor, Etc.

Upcountry

Heading to Phantip, etc., again soon, and I'm wondering if I should replace an old 17" CRT with a digital monitor. I'm looking at 17 or better, though for an old Linux server, or a system next to my hi-fi system to handle music or movie serving to the TV and sound system I might look for a tiny LCD.

I'm also wondering about other cool buys that are worth checking out. Welcome all ideas.

Heading to Phantip, etc., again soon, and I'm wondering if I should replace an old 17" CRT with a digital monitor. I'm looking at 17 or better, though for an old Linux server, or a system next to my hi-fi system to handle music or movie serving to the TV and sound system I might look for a tiny LCD.

I'm also wondering about other cool buys that are worth checking out. Welcome all ideas.

Looking here at a price list from IT City in Tuk Com Pattaya with plenty of branches elsewhere, They have L.G., Acer , Benq and Samsung 17" under 7000bht and Acer 19" 8,000bht Samsung 19" 9,000bht. A few months ago a 17"would be at least 10k and a 19" 14k+.

I would say well cheap. :o

Heading to Phantip, etc., again soon, and I'm wondering if I should replace an old 17" CRT with a digital monitor. I'm looking at 17 or better, though for an old Linux server...

Why on earth would you care what's attached to an old server? Do you spend a lot of time in front of it? (If you do, you either need to learn how to admin it or start calling it a workstation.)

An oft repeated suggestion when buying computers is to get the largest screen you can afford (that will fit on your desk).

Acer has started advertising for a 24" widescreen LCD with 1920x1200 resolution (same type as the Dell 24"). I hope that they will sell it for a realistic price here (it's around $700 in the US). It's a great resolution for watching HD 1080 movies at their full resolution.

Heading to Phantip, etc., again soon, and I'm wondering if I should replace an old 17" CRT with a digital monitor. I'm looking at 17 or better, though for an old Linux server...

Why on earth would you care what's attached to an old server? Do you spend a lot of time in front of it? (If you do, you either need to learn how to admin it or start calling it a workstation.)

If the linux server is accessible from your internal network it doesn't need a monitor at all. Just run X-Windows software on your PC and it will display and behave as though you were at the server console. None of my linux servers have monitors.

I've got serveral different plans for Linux (both workstation and server). True, a server wouldn’t need a monitor for regular use. Too bad UltraVNC seems to be having some troubles, or that would be an alternative to X-windows. Mostly, I'd just be using SSH to perform command line actions or using file sharing.

I wish I could just hold on to one of my old 17' monitors, but space is an issue. I use a switchbox now for three, and could probably add it that (assuming I can get a digital video card working well in the Linux distro). But for setup/debugging, etc., having a dedicated monitor available is helpful.

I'm thinking of setting up a machine in my entertainment room to store and play .flac files, etc. A small LCD would be useful there, so that I don't have to try connecting to the TV. By small, I'm thinking of a tablet or car video sized thing, just big enough to give a good view of the music menu. I’m not sure if that will be on an old Windows setup or on a Linux box, but I'll be installing the best sound card I can afford to get quality sound out to the amp.

I'm also looking for things like a 2.0 USB hub, a firewire hub, hard drive or two, hard drive server box maybe, DVD-RW's, scanner, signal booster for my coax cable line, etc. I won't necessarily get all this stuff, but know about good deals in advance would be helpful - that's why I started this thread. I'm open to surprises.

Thanks for the monitor suggestions above. I bought a nice 19" Sony last year some time for a much higher price than I'd have to pay now. Maybe I'll get another one of the same type this year. The 22" Acer looks very nice, but the price is still kind of high. I wonder if it has the same image quality (brightness, wide viewing angle, etc.) as my Sony.

At any rate, I don't get to BKK or Phantip/Fortune that often, so that's why I would like suggestions from the regular visitors to those places. :o

Edited by Upcountry

The Dell screens have the best brightness/contrast. Samsung LCD's are also very highly regarded and have improved greatly over the past few years.

I would stay right away from Acer as I have seen too many product failures with Acer products. In screens, I have quite commonly seen dry joints developing on the power circuit board.

Collegue of mine bought the Acer 19" wide screen 2 weeks ago for 6500bht, i'm going next week to look for an LCD, but my criteria needs both VGA and composite inputs...BenQ has a nice one, but only 4:3 and not 16:10...

Speaking of LCD monitors in Thailand, can anybody recommend a swivel monitor, i.e. one that rotates from landscape to portrait? I thought it was a somewhat common feature, but I can't seem to find one. Ideally I'd like to get a "widescreen" 20" monitor that swivels, but would definitely settle for a standard 19' or 20".

Speaking of LCD monitors in Thailand, can anybody recommend a swivel monitor, i.e. one that rotates from landscape to portrait? I thought it was a somewhat common feature, but I can't seem to find one. Ideally I'd like to get a "widescreen" 20" monitor that swivels, but would definitely settle for a standard 19' or 20".

I have a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 910T that does that. Great for reading documents or word processing. This is a relatively expensive monitor though with DVI/VGA but has the highest clarity and contrast of any that I have seen.

Acer has started advertising for a 24" widescreen LCD with 1920x1200 resolution (same type as the Dell 24"). I hope that they will sell it for a realistic price here (it's around $700 in the US). It's a great resolution for watching HD 1080 movies at their full resolution.

This is good news. I've seen them in germany and i wanted to buy one here but at that time they were only available in germany and us. Seems that they managed to increase the production now or the two markets are now saturated.

I can only say if you work with one of these you never want to go back to anything else. Im planning to setup a triple monitor system with two 1280x1024 and one 1920x1200 if the price is really around $700 and not that of the Apple 24" display which is by the way the worst of all Apple monitors.

I have a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 910T that does that. Great for reading documents or word processing. This is a relatively expensive monitor though with DVI/VGA but has the highest clarity and contrast of any that I have seen.

May I ask where you bought it? I live in Pattaya area, but can easily flit to Bangkok for a shopping trip.

May I ask where you bought it? I live in Pattaya area, but can easily flit to Bangkok for a shopping trip.

I purchased through an on-line shop (pantipprice.com now procomshop.com) but it isn't in their listings now. Seems several of the on-line shops have a small showing of LCD monitors now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I missed the opportunity by a week or so, I guess:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/011106_Database...006_data005.php

"ViewSonic last week launched a 22-inch wide screen with Apple iPod support here in time for the Commart Comtech show, making Bangkok the first location to stock this 1680x1050 LCD with built-in stereo speakers and a 700:1 contrast ratio."

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopd...eries/vx2245wm/

I called Synnex, the local distributor, and eventually found out that the sale price will be around 16,000 baht, instead of the 18900 baht regular list price.

Unfortunately, the local Phantip ViewSonic dealer won't have the monitor for quite some time. In fact except for the Commart show Synnex won't be supplying if for a while either. I can't travel there this week, so it looks like I'm out of luck. :o

The samsung Syncmaster 213T monitors do it, I have 2x 21.3" of these which were brought about 5 months ago for 32'000 each.. I think there is now a newer model out, which probably isnt avail in thailand yet? :o