Burglary at East Pattaya House

webfact

Burglary at East Pattaya House

house-6.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Nongprue Police were called to a 2-storey semi-detached house in East Pattaya on Wednesday Night by its owner who returned home to find it had been ransacked and items of value had been stolen.

Khun Tidali aged 40 resides at the Central Park Hillside Estate and returned home at 5.30pm and saw two people walking around the 2nd floor of her house. She went to summon assistance and by the time she returned to the house the burglars had disappeared.

Police arrived and inspected the house and began at the point of entry which was a rear patio door. The security camera system inside the house had been disabled and the recording unit had been stolen.

In the 2nd floor master bedroom items which had been stolen included an IPad and a computer notebook along with 40,000 Baht’s worth of gold jewelry.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/219639/burglary-at-east-pattaya-house/#prettyPhoto

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-12-10

One thing that stands out in this story is this: "The security camera system inside the house had been disabled and the recording unit had been stolen" with a photo of the cut wiring to the camera units.

This was a standard security system where the mounted cameras record to a DVR unit inside the house. Simple for the burglar to steal the DVR and so there's no recorded evidence.

How many of us have got this type of security system thinking it to be effective?

Can anyone recommend a better alternative?

One method might be to hide and lock the DVR away...

Using a pinhole camera?

How do you prevent the patio sliding door from being forced open? If the burglars are not able to break into the house at all?

I often imagine if my house are being burglarised while I'm at home alone, what should I do? Hide while waiting for police to come? Confront the burglar/s? Quickly run out of the house while the bulgar/s didn't notice? Any clever suggestion?

Can the camera be bluetoothed to your WIFI and record to the cloud?

Of course it can.....That way you can check on your house from London...or where ever you are any time night or day, a complete set up with 4 cameras, that I can check on my mobile phone any time was about 16K in Issan.

Can the camera be bluetoothed to your WIFI and record to the cloud?

Of course it can.....That way you can check on your house from London...or where ever you are any time night or day, a complete set up with 4 cameras, that I can check on my mobile phone any time was about 16K in Issan.

I have a system like that. You can check what the camera sees (if still in place) in real time from anywhere as long as your home wifi and DVR are switched on at the premises. But once the wifi or DVR are gone, you can see nothing and have no record.

I have sliding patio doors.

Inside the patio doors I have sliding metal grills that lock independently to the patio doors.

Should the patio doors be forced open, then what ?

Cameras offer little, if any, protection.

And inside all my sliding windows, I have fixed metal grills..

Security is obviously a big issue, but metal grills, fixed or sliding, in my view, offer pretty reasonable protection.

You can get a burglar alarm system that sends an sms to your phone. Even if power is cut, it has enough reserve power built in to send the sms. It can also send a voice recording, but that's not good, if it gets a busy signal at the receiving phone. Entry points have wireless transmitters. System can have contact device and motion sensors.

An alternative is to have a cloud NAS, if you have good internet. Set your cameras to motion detection, record 6 to 8 FPS, to the cloud NAS. The sd card in the camera is also good feature, with the hope they don't know about the card, and don't take the cameras.

Another alternative is to get a NAS (network attached storage) and put it into a vault, in the house, bolted into a concrete floor. Just need power and a Ethernet cable into the vault, maybe add a UPS. Cams should POE, fed by a POE switch, fed by a UPS.

Edited by cigar7

I have sliding patio doors.

Inside the patio doors I have sliding metal grills that lock independently to the patio doors.

Should the patio doors be forced open, then what ?

Cameras offer little, if any, protection.

And inside all my sliding windows, I have fixed metal grills..

Security is obviously a big issue, but metal grills, fixed or sliding, in my view, offer pretty reasonable protection.

How long did you get?

The addition of a motion detector or 3 wired to an alarm system may give added security.

The old-style sliding doors and windows often seen in Thailand are insecure and how to defeat them well known.

I had bolts fixed to mine. In the next house I had them all replaced when I had double glazing put in. At the moment I do not feel I want to see the outside world through grills,