Solar Power Availability in Ubon Ratchathani

sezzo

Hello All,

I broached this subject about 8 or so years ago about the possibility of getting a solar powered set up for my house on the farm in Ubon Ratchathani. The house is being powered by a meter about 700m away at a family members house. This situation will not be changing in the near future as the PEA as no intention of running cabling and posts down our road. There is a degree of power loss due to this situation. We are back in Australia for the next few years and am planning to do some improvements to the house for when we return. One thing I would like is to have A/C in the bedroom and I believe the current power situation would not be suitable for A/C.

I am looking at getting panels and a battery bank set up to run the A/C and possibly other electrical requirements of the property. Does anyone know if solar power has advanced in Thailand to the stage that it is being used in the more remote areas for the usage that I require.

Any advice would be appreciated

Was chatting to a Dutch guy local to me in Ampur Kantaralak Last week. He is in a similar position with a remote house and farm. He has installed panels (there is an electronics shop in this Southern Sisaket amphur that will do such apparently). He said that solar will not stretch to the consumption requirements of aircon. He runs water pumps and fans/lights. He also mentioned that batteries only have an 8 (or was it 6) deliverty capability. The picture he showed me was of a water tower with 4 differently angled panels, each about 1.5m by 0.5m hanging off the four aspects of the tower. Maybe check out this specific aircon point in the DIY forum: it maybe that larger commercial apps can handle bigger consumption needs, but I doubt this can be done economically with current battery technology or we would see it being applied widely in hotels etc.

Within its constraints he seemed very satisfied with his solution. I'm very interested in doing something as a dual system in my own house if I can get solar to run the pool pump and garden sprinkler pump - more as an investment/try - out project plus back - up power for occasional evening power cuts (seasonal winds give us power line problems a handful of times a year). I'm not expecting monetary advantages.

Hi

Solar power with battery back up is available, can be set up in different ways so as to manage pumps, air cons etc. Hot water is a bit of a problem but can be overcome by installing a solar hot water system.

PM me for more information.

I am sure rooftop solar with deep cycle battery backup can be installed in any area of Thailand and would power air conditioners.

I have attempted to get sense from a few solar supply and installation companies in Bangkok and Issan but gave up in frustration.

In Australia it is done all the time and so much so that it has caused a problem for the Electricity companies there.

Unfortunately in Thailand, product availability for home set ups is low, skills of the companies involved unproven and price about double or more than a finished rooftop system in Australia. There are no subsidies and no buyback of surplus power unless one is building a huge solar farm.In fact the people I talked to seemed reluctant to even have a roof top system tied to the grid, probably because it needs some sort of license that is unavailable to smaller systems. ( Up to 10 Kw.)

Answer to OP's question is no.

Hi

I know how you feel about feedback from local Solar Firms, that's why a Thai very successful business man & my self, an Aussie licenced electrician, are setting up a solar generation & storage business in Thailand & surrounding countries.

After 6 months research of China vendors we have just imported our first shipment of 12 systems of various sizes & will be going to market in the New Year.

PM me if you need any more information.

I can show you at least 8 solar farms each over 200 rai in the Surin/Burirma provinces. I have stopped counting of how many Thai farms and their homes have solar I see on a regular bases. All of this kit is being sold locally by Thai business and being donated by Thai authorities. BTW this does not count the mega wind farms that are in the area. You need to get out and explore Thailand and you will be amazed what you see.

From TV

Lampang governor visits ASEAN biggest solar power plant

LAMPANG, 11 December 2015 (NNT) – Lampang Governor Samart Loifa has visited the biggest solar power plant in Southeast Asia to observe the plant’s energy innovations.

The Lampang Governor said the visit, in which he was accompanied by several provincial officials, was to enable local agencies to gather ideas and information that could be used to develop the province into a regional hub for energy production and logistics. The plant belongs to Energy Absolute Public Company Limited and EA Solar Lampang.

Mr Samart said Lampang is one of the major energy suppliers in the country, producing electricity from coal, hydropower, wind power and biomass. Lampang is planning to promote solar power, which is both environmentally-friendly and more sustainable than other types of energy production.

The plant, which covers parts of two districts, was built in 2013 and started selling power to the Provincial Electricity Authority in February last year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-11 footer_n.gif

GPS location. 18.3877528846, 99.433037629 (Lampang Solar Farms)

The Telsa system is being introduced into Australia next year mainly because of the generous government deals through Power Utilities, some Utilities are offering installing the systems at their costs then lease the system to the consumer if more power is generated than used to power companies adjust the lease costs.

The Telsa system is like Lithium batteries life time of up to 20 years, not proven yet, Lithium batteries cost 4 to 5 times of quality Gel batteries which have been proven to last 8 + plus years with good management.

I Thailand & similar countries with little or no government incentives the consumer has to fund all the capital costs, I doubt if it would be a viable investment using Telsa or similar system against a quality Off Grid Gel battery system.

Hi

Solar power with battery back up is available, can be set up in different ways so as to manage pumps, air cons etc. Hot water is a bit of a problem but can be overcome by installing a solar hot water system.

PM me for more information.

Why would you have Solar and not have a battery back up? The function of the batteries is not just back up but also acts as a filter for voltage variations

@grandalf12...He didn't say that and you tried unsuccessfully ...again ..to mess up the subject.

Try reading the words

The problem seems that the normal inverter used here in Thailand is just sub standard cheap as shit as they can get away with.

Despite those ThiiVisa guys saying you can buy this or that here, I have experienced it

Those references are the reason in march this year I tried to buy and install some gear. The representatives are rubbish despite speaking english and have no knowledge of their products.

I respect some of the electrical names on here including Crossy but the truth is that mob you guys are advertising on here knows shit. They know how many panels times the wattage makes the inverter total. After that they are done.

What we need is a proper inverter...not one costs lots of dollars but one that can handle solar panels, batteries and grid all at once whether up or down.

Whats this crap about the grid goes down the solar goes down. Get away you guys ..I am not accepting that!

Whats this crap about the grid goes down the solar goes down. Get away you guys ..I am not accepting that!

Grid connected systems ( ie those without battery banks) by design stop the inverter whenever supply authority power goes down.

Reason being is it's a rather deadly arrangement for supply authority workers if they decide to cut power for maintainance or whatever and have private solar installs feeding back into the grid.

I am in a similar situation to the OP with regard to the PEA electricity supply. I have a solar power system with batteries enough for a couple of days of poor sunshine. plenty enough for A/C, pumps and workshop machinery etc, If SEZZO et. al. would like to pm me then I will freely pass on the detailed information about my setup. There are a few suppliers in Thailand who can do it for you but they are expensive. My background is in electronics so I was able to easily set up the system for myself. Getting hold of the equipment (solar panels, inverter/chargers and batteries) was straightforward enough and the cabling is not difficult although you do need to be aware of certain safety precautions as with all things electrical.

Off topic. Hot water was mentioned by a poster. You could do this also using an electric immersion heater but that would be a waste since there is plenty of sunshine to do it for you and there are plenty of solar water heating solutions to choose from.

Grid connected systems ( ie those without battery banks) by design stop the inverter whenever supply authority power goes down.

Reason being is it's a rather deadly arrangement for supply authority workers if they decide to cut power for maintainance or whatever and have private solar installs feeding back into the grid.

This is true (sort of) . The panels are still connected to the inverter and, if the sun is shinning, there will be electricity for the house. The inverter is disconnected from the grid to avoid dangerous situations as mentioned. Anti islanding I think it's called.

This is true (sort of) . The panels are still connected to the inverter and, if the sun is shinning, there will be electricity for the house. The inverter is disconnected from the grid to avoid dangerous situations as mentioned. Anti islanding I think it's called.

No...the inverter cuts out completely.

no power what-so-ever.

No...the inverter cuts out completely.

no power what-so-ever.

Correct.........Well we both are really smile.png

"Electric utility companies refer to residential grid-tie solar power arrays as distributed generation (DG) generators. They use this term because your solar panels are producing and distributing electrical power back into our utility grid.

Islanding refers to the condition of a DG generator that continues to feed the circuit with power, even after power from the electric utility grid has been cut off. Islanding can pose a dangerous threat to utility workers, who may not realize that a circuit is still "live" while attempting to work on the line.

Distributed generators must detect islanding and immediately stop feeding the utility lines with power. This is known as anti-islanding. A grid-tied solar power system is required by law to have a gridtie inverter with an anti-islanding function, which senses when a power outage occurs and shuts itself off.

One common misconception is that a

grid tied system will continue to generate power during a blackout. Unless there is a battery back-up system, the gridtie solar system will not produce power when the grid is down."

I do not understand why the OP does not run his own cables and poles, I did just that last year, 1.2 KM, Total cost 7000 Baht. I hooked into the Meter myself, and used bigger cabling then PEP. I also recently installed a 700W Solar System for around $1000 Including Wind Generator, Hybrid Controller, Inverter, 2 X 200 watt Panels, all from China, sorry have to add Batteries to that, bought locally, Add $400 deep cycle Gels. works a treat. The China Company ships by China Mail, at my request, no hassles with Customs, not held to Ransom by DSL, Or Fedex etc. They break up the packaging to around 30 KG lots. have installed 4 systems now and more to come !

Wow install 1200 meters of power line for 7000 THB with bigger cable than PEA that is 6 THB a meter. Couldn't buy the cable for that let alone poles line hardware etc. BS.

So hard to beleive his China project.

A lot of faith needed here. The stuff he's using must have been reported missing at some time. When I did that 9 years ago aluminium cable (10 square mm) came in at 10,000 Baht per Km and that was discounted.

Wow install 1200 meters of power line for 7000 THB with bigger cable than PEA that is 6 THB a meter. Couldn't buy the cable for that let alone poles line hardware etc. BS.

A lot of faith needed here. The stuff he's using must have been reported missing at some time. When I did that 9 years ago aluminium cable (10 square mm) came in at 10,000 Baht per Km and that was discounted.

2000 baht per meter by PEA at todays rate. BHW must be using sticks and strings.

2000 baht per meter by PEA at todays rate. BHW must be using sticks and strings.

Sticks and strings?

Strung up in the trees plus a few bamboo poles more like.

You are brilliant, so brillinat no doubt you have an isolating transformer at point of supply, an adequate earthing system at both point of supply & end load, protection at point of pupply & no doubt you have a hugh public liability insurance.