Thailand gun death rate TWICE as high as US

webfact

Thailand gun death rate TWICE as high as US
By Coconuts Bangkok

rtr39evf-975x650.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The violent gun death rate in Thailand is more than TWICE as high as that of the United States, according to a US network of public radio broadcasters.

NPR ran the data from the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation after the recent mass shootings in California, and found Thailand had 7.48 violent gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2013.

That’s over twice the gun death rate in the US, which had 3.55 deaths per 100,000 people in the same year.

Thailand also has the highest gun death rate in Asia, the data shows.

It had 50% more deaths than the Philippines, which also beat the US gun death rate with 4.64 deaths per 100,000 people.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/11/thailand-gun-death-rate-twice-high-us

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-11

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not so unbelievable. A Thai man will either get a bunch of his buddies to help him vent his anger or he will get a gun. It seems the gun is preferable. Pretty amazing though since Thailand has a weapon of war law which is supposed to prevent access to guns. Heeehee

All those gun control laws and....... This.

California has some pretty strict gun laws too.

It ain't the gun that does the killing! No more than it was the knife that did the killing of that guy on Pahonyothin a few weeks ago over the Ipad, or that guy machete that killed that family recently, or the hoe that did the killing on Koh Tao, or the psycho that slit his girlfrinds throat on walking street, or the baseball bat that beat that biker to death recently in Pattaya, or........

Edited by jaywalker

It ain't the gun that does the killing! No more than it was the knife that did the killing of that guy on Pahonyothin a few weeks ago over the Ipad, or that guy machete that killed that family recently, or the hoe that did the killing on Koh Tao, or the psycho that slit his girlfrinds throat on walking street, or the baseball bat that beat that biker to death recently in Pattaya, or........

Not quite. Guns are fetishistic. Guns have persona. Guns have charisma. They are like a living thing in the pocket whispering "fire me". And Thais are animist.

Edited by ddavidovsky

just so i can keep on living, i always assume any Thai I interact with has a gun.

it is a good habit i picked up living in parts of the US where citizens can legally carry concealed guns to defend themselves.

i am thinking you would see way more fights and assaults between Thais if it was not for the fear of getting your head blown off.

and in a country where there are no police you can rely on the help you it is almost a necessity.

This is not so unbelievable. A Thai man will either get a bunch of his buddies to help him vent his anger or he will get a gun. It seems the gun is preferable. Pretty amazing though since Thailand has a weapon of war law which is supposed to prevent access to guns. Heeehee

lol .... and prostitution is illegal as well....

Not quite. Guns are fetishistic. Guns have persona. Guns have charisma. They are like a living thing in the pocket whispering "fire me". And Thais are animist.

If a hammer is the only tool you have ? everything starts to look like a nail.....

Why are is there never any hysteria over these weapons that kill people all the time?

a1eed041ae5364fb2277602c05d58bb5.jpg

46fbf68fad081b1f5de2508cdb0b7af9.941x596

Line 'em up portray them as the Evil Killing Machines that they are.

I guess guns go "BANG" though, which makes them more scary.

Congratulations on the dumbest question so far. When was the last time you read about someone killing 16 people in a crowd with a machete?

LoS is the hub of crackdowns, purges, strict enforcement etc yet illegal firearms don't seem to get any attention.

Maybe the PM doesn't want to take weapons away and the happiness they bring to all the Somchai Eastwoods

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Why are is there never any hysteria over these weapons that kill people all the time?

That's just silly. Guns are a cowards way of killing, as they can do it from a 'safe' distance.

With a knife you must get up close and personal with your intended victim, who may be able to turn the tables on you.

Most Thais are cowards, especially if alone.

You need a gun law that forbids the guns for the bad guys. Current laws forbid the guns for the law abiding good guys.

The gun equalize the power between the 40 kg girl and the 80 kg rapist, or between the 20 year old narcotic user and the 75 year old grandpa......

That's just silly. Guns are a cowards way of killing, as they can do it from a 'safe' distance.

With a knife you must get up close and personal with your intended victim, who may be able to turn the tables on you.

Most Thais are cowards, especially if alone.

I prefer to be a living coward instead of being a dead hero.

If you want to kill someone (which is bad) you should do it in a way that you aren't killed first....that is not being a coward that is common sense.

Congratulations on the dumbest question so far. When was the last time you read about someone killing 16 people in a crowd with a machete?

August 30th, 2015... In Samut Prakan, Thailand. I won't post the link as it's a rather graphic video.

Just Google "Machete Attack Thailand".

hee haw there you people. we are startin' another rootin tootin gun thread. good on you.

everybody who does not have a gun because they don't like them and wants to take them away line up over to the left.

everybody who does have a gun because they like them and wants to keep them line up over to the right.

ready? ok. people on the left take the guns from the people on the right. you have one minute.

survivors of the gun thread don't forget about the BBQ ribs dinner next weekend.

hee haw there you people. we are startin' another rootin tootin gun thread. good on you.

everybody who does not have a gun because they don't like them and wants to take them away line up over to the left.

everybody who does have a gun because they like them and wants to keep them line up over to the right.

ready? ok. people on the left take the guns from the people on the right. you have one minute.

survivors of the gun thread don't forget about the BBQ ribs dinner next weekend.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif YEEEEE-HAW!!!!!

Will Daisy Duke be there? Count me in!

Edited by jaywalker