Need suggestion for Geminid.

sixlegs

So, this meteor shower could be a spectacular event but would need some suggestions where to watch it.

1. Book a trek to the top of Chiang Dao Mountain for the night?

2. Go to top of Doi Inthanon?

3. Or just try Doi Pui Viewpoint, maybe it won't be overcrowded?

4. Mon Cham maybe?

5. Any other ideas?

Am interested also so will be watching for updates here.

Meteor Showers Expected in Chiang Mai

December 10, 2015

CityNews – According to Dr Saran Posayachinda, deputy director of the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand, “Geminids Meteor Shower,” a phenomenon which takes place between December 4th – 17th every year, can be seen in Chiang Mai on the night of December 14th (8.30pm onwards), lasting until the next morning.

It is expected that the Geminids Meteor Shower will have up to 120 meteors per hour, which will be seen clearly across the north-eastern part of the sky, weather permitting.

More here - Chiang Mai CityNews

cn.png
-- Chiang City News Dec. 10, 2015

The top of doi Suthep at the old temple ruin on 1700m altitude. Not many people know that place but it's easy to find: drive all the way to the top via the narrow road (t-junction go right), ~50 metres from the point where you start going down is one 180° curve to the left, halfway this curve on the right hand side is a rough path over many tree roots, at the end after ~50m is the place. Bring a sweater because it can be real cold up there.

If you follow the 180° curve, you will go offroad soon, a wonderful trip that ends at the Huy Thong Tao lake, did it many times in both directions both per motorbike and 4x4.

Edited by flyDelight

I knew that old ruin, been there already but probably too many trees around. I mean probably you have only a narrow field of view to the sky. But I did not now that you can get to Huay Tung Tao from there. Gotta explore a bit more.

No tour operators in Chiang Mai could tell whether guides to top of Doi Luang (Chiang Dao) are available now or not for 14th. Does anyone who lives around there has info about this? I mean, if I just drop in at the checkpoint there can they provideguide and equipments as the do on Doi Suthep?

Anywhere outside the city light pollution will be OK; no need to be up high. Saw a few last evening - look to the NE left of Orion which is just rising after dark. After midnight would be better.

Except for the layer of "haze" that is kept close to the valley floor by cold night temperatures. Climb a hill in the morning & look across the valley of Chiang Mai. It's not all mist. Still there in afternoon.

Anywhere outside the city light pollution will be OK; no need to be up high. Saw a few last evening - look to the NE left of Orion which is just rising after dark. After midnight would be better.

Except for the layer of "haze" that is kept close to the valley floor by cold night temperatures. Climb a hill in the morning & look across the valley of Chiang Mai. It's not all mist. Still there in afternoon.

Yes that inversion layer over CM already has a brown tinge as viewed from out here in Doi Saket. I noticed last night that there was a weak glow in the sky at low angles even to the East so there is probably lots of low level suspended particles out here too from the crop burning. Shouldn't really affect meteor watching at higher angles though...

I knew that old ruin, been there already but probably too many trees around. I mean probably you have only a narrow field of view to the sky. But I did not now that you can get to Huay Tung Tao from there. Gotta explore a bit more.

It's called San Goo,

Is heavily forested, and the chances of you seeing anything in the sky is ZERO.

To HTT, you drive along the road to Baan Chang Kian, then keep going down the dirt road.

Trail is called 'the Eagle trail' and easily found at many GPS trail websites.

Any sightings? Just had a look outside. Lot's of stars, but nothing else. Doesn't help, having standard govt fluorescent tube street lighting, even down our dead end, dirt road soi in the middle of no where. Plus, the idiot next door has his 50+ garden lights on....