Second UK Visitor Visa

I have received good advice from members in the past for my wife's UK Visitor visa so am back for more.

I have been living in Thailand for over seven years. I met my wife in 2011, married in 2012, we have a daughter together born in 2013 (has both Thai and UK passports) and also bought a house (entirely in my wife's name) in 2013. We have photographic evidence of our time together, marriage certificate and birth certificate.

In December 2013 we visited the UK for two weeks. For that visit, my wife's visa was sponsored by my sister entirely.

We now plan to visit the UK again in July 2016 for 4 weeks and I am looking at tickets now, before we can apply for a visa (not found a good deal yet, probably won't see one until January/February).

Since then, my sister's situation has changed. She is currently on maternity leave and at the time of our intended visa application, she will not be working and not receiving maternity pay. For personal reasons, I won't be asking her husband to sponsor my wife's trip.

My parents are divorced, both semi-retired, both own their own property outright with spare rooms for us to stay. However, neither has a great income, my father's is probably the highest at around GBP16,000/year - when my sister sponsored she was earning close to GBP40,000 a year.

My salary is equivalent to just over GBP15,000/year and my wife's work is seasonal and cash in hand - so basically they will consider her a housewife.

My concern is that these amounts will be insufficient. Another concern is that my current contract expires at the end of July 2016, though I would be able to show my contract renewal at an application in April/May.

So we have reason to go - family visit to relatives in the UK with husband and daughter.

Ability to finance stay - I'll get BUPA healthcare for her, then either we go on our family income or I get one of the three options in the UK to sponsor (they're all willing).

Reason to return - we have a house (+mortgage), we are settled here together here as a family, my job (although the visit is at the point of contract renewal, I have been in the same job since 2009), my daughter attends Kindergarten here (will that help?).

I'm not so confident about this application and neither is my wife. Any advice on how to apply? I'm thinking a letter of invitation to stay at one of my parents' houses with all details and then base it on our finances, we should in addition have savings of 60,000B to show at time of application (just thought of this, not sure if either parent has savings, both have bought new houses in the last year and both have stretched themselves a little).

I could go alone with our daughter, but I don't think she'd be too happy.

If you can demonstrate a settled life in Thailand then I don't see why a visa should be any more difficult than before. Provide details of where you live, what you do and how your basic finances work, then you should have covered reasons to return.

Show how the trip is going to be financed and written confirmation that you are invited to stay at X, Y and Z, and affordability should be covered.

Plan to visit family covers the reason for the visit.

These tend to be the stumbling blocks and you have the big added bonus of a previous visit where all the rules were followed!

Explain everything, assume nothing, but I would have thought this would be quite straight forward.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Show how the trip is going to be financed and written confirmation that you are invited to stay at X, Y and Z, and affordability should be covered.

This is my main problem. Flights - credit card (or I will have paid for them in advance of the application by credit card). Cost of stay - well, we will do what we can afford. My family will cover a lot and we will pay as much as we can afford. You can live in the UK on less than I earn here and I don't need to pay for accomodation, bills etc. However, I'm not sure my finances of 60,000B in the bank and salary of 70,000B a month are going to be sufficient (in their eyes) to cover what is a family of three visiting the UK for 4 weeks.

I could do it on a quarter of that, but its what the immigration officer thinks. I wish they'd just publish the finances that are required, though they'd probably go well over the top.

As I say in UK visit visa basics

There is no minimum amount of available money required. Everyone's circumstances are different and the amount of money needed is variable. For example someone touring for 4 weeks and staying in hotels will probably need more than someone staying for 6 months with friends or family. The applicant does, though, need to show that sufficient finances are available to them to cover all the costs of their visit.

Finance can come from the applicant's resources, the sponsor's, a third party's or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the finances should provide evidence of their ability to do so,6 months bank statements are best, and if a third party say why they are doing so.

Remember, too, that as it is only your wife who is applying for a visa it is just her expenses that you have to show can be covered. As you and your daughter are British citizens no restrictions can be placed on you entering the UK.

BTW, there is no need to pay for the flights before submitting your wife's visa application; in fact UKVI advise applicants not to do so.

Up to you, of course, especially if you can get a good deal. But doing so will have absolutely no effect on the decision.

From what you have said, I can see no reason why your wife's application should not be successful.

The pinned topic linked to above is a bit out of date on some details, but the essentials haven't changed.

I suggest that you also read Standard visitor visa from UKVI.

Note that all applications are now made and paid for online; but your wife will still have to make an appointment to attend the UK visa application centre in Bangkok to hand in her supporting documents and have her biometrics taken.

• Like 2

If an ECO sees evidence that family will be helping with accommodation then they will not require masses of spending money. I have had holidays with family and friends that did not actually need us to pay for anything. We paid for meals out etc.

If family is helping with the cost of flights etc then get them to include this in the invitation letter. Not everyone visiting the UK comes with a full bank account!!

Close scrutiny of finances tends to come with settlement applications.

• Like 1

Good info Bob & 7by7,, more than what the actual sites tell you,, i havent filled the form in yet for my wifes 4th visit, havent done the online route before, do they send you an atendance date, or some contact numbers to make appointment??

thanks in advance, Lickey,,

Good info Bob & 7by7,, more than what the actual sites tell you,, i havent filled the form in yet for my wifes 4th visit, havent done the online route before, do they send you an atendance date, or some contact numbers to make appointment??

As advised the application is made, and paid for, online, once the online application has been submitted you will be directed to the VFS site to make an appointment for the submission of the hard copy of the application together with her supporting evidence, when there she will have her biometric details captured.

• Like 1