Phuket driver to be charged for death of German, Andreas Walter

Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket driver to be charged for death of German, Andreas Walter

1449838504_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Police have confirmed they will charge a Phuket man for the road collision that killed German national Andreas Walter, 47, in Karon last week.

Mr Walter died from injuries sustained when the motorbike he was riding was struck a car at about 11:30pm Thursday last week (Dec 3).

His Thai partner, Patcharin Lammai, remains at Bangkok Hospital Phuket recovering from facial and body injuries.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-12

I can confirm that the Toyota driver, Mr Jakarin, is to be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury and to be held responsible for damage to the parked pickup truck that was struck during the accident,” he said.

And we have wonder why was the driver not charged before now - answer : because now it's a big public news story the BIB cannot sweep it under the rug. And now we hear there was also damage to a parked pickup truck. I suppose the owner of the parked truck will be made liable .... whistling.gif

I can confirm that the Toyota driver, Mr Jakarin, is to be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury and to be held responsible for damage to the parked pickup truck that was struck during the accident,” he said.

And we have wonder why was the driver not charged before now - answer : because now it's a big public news story the BIB cannot sweep it under the rug. And now we hear there was also damage to a parked pickup truck. I suppose the owner of the parked truck will be made liable .... whistling.gif

No, we don't have to wonder about that at all, sometimes charges aren't decided at the instant of the incident. As was reported, police were investigating this accident in the absence of any CCTV but based on witnesses reports and have now made a decision on who was to blame for what happened.

This is not a "big public news story", it's a report in a small regional newspaper, that's all. You seemed to have missed this quite important part of the report even though you quoted it in your comment..."I can confirm that the Toyota driver, Mr Jakarin...is to be held responsible for damage to the parked pickup truck that was struck during the accident"

Edited by Alration

If the Falang had not been born, he wouldn`t have been involved in the accident in the first instant. Verdict, the Falang shouldn`t have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. The taxi driver will be allowed to resume as normal provided he doesn`t have any more inconvenience thrust upon him from the existence of more Falangs sharing his space.

If the Falang had not been born, he wouldn`t have been involved in the accident in the first instant. Verdict, the Falang shouldn`t have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. The taxi driver will be allowed to resume as normal provided he doesn`t have any more inconvenience thrust upon him from the existence of more Falangs sharing his space.

Better to read a story before commenting, and refrain from tjhe standard dribble.

I can confirm that the Toyota driver, Mr Jakarin, is to be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury and to be held responsible for damage to the parked pickup truck that was struck during the accident, he said.

In your quote it said the accused is to be held liable for the damage to the parked pick-up....not the pick-up owner?

I can confirm that the Toyota driver, Mr Jakarin, is to be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury and to be held responsible for damage to the parked pickup truck that was struck during the accident, he said.

In your quote it said the accused is to be held liable for the damage to the parked pick-up....not the pick-up owner?

Clearly you missed the sarcasm .... research news stories where a parked pickup owner in Phuket was was deemed responsible for a fatal accident.

First of all, good he is going to be charged, but really...what does that mean in the end? We'll never know unless there is a followup report.

Secondly, "...motorbike he was riding was struck a car at about 11:30pm..."

Do you mean "struck BY a car...". These reporters apply for a job reporting in English. Many of them need to go back to school big time or at least have an editor that knows how to proofread and is a native English speaker.

This would not be a public news story at all if things like this would happen more often.

I think there has to be a little time for the BIB to see which way the money if any is to be flowing.

I think there has to be a little time for the BIB to see which way the money if any is to be flowing.

How often do you see the car licence plate blanked out in a "normal" road carnage accident??

Must be someone a bit more scary than usual.

Often friends and acquaintances of friends ask me where they should go in Thailand when on a holiday. I immediately tell them to avoid Phuket and Pattaya. Also I advise them the rest of the place offers great attractions and culture but choose carefully where they go. I also tell them the benefits have to be balanced with risk to body and mind and pocket.

The two farang traffic deaths in today's forum remind me of a simple fact that I knew from 19 years in the Gulf Middle East: that safety is not only about gun deaths or beheadings. When you're killed in traffic you're just as dead. That makes the Middle East, where the world's worst drivers are--believe me--even more dangerous, and Thailand maybe not far behind.

This is not a "big public news story", it's a report in a small regional newspaper, that's all.

Which will now show up in Google search, as will all the other umpteen similar reports. Why any one in their right mind would ride a scooter in this country beats me.

This is not a "big public news story", it's a report in a small regional newspaper, that's all.

Not true. German newspapers cover this story in depth.

In fact, if you read the (in)famous Phuketwan or other sources, you will learn that the driver of the pickup truck allegedly tried to escape, by driving ---accelerator-revving--- over the inured scooter rider, whose body had become trapped under the truck's wheel after being hit during the initial accident.